WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 5.3 mile Extension of the Pinhoti Trail opens in Coosa County, Alabama

Great news!

So maybe I missed it, but where exactly is this extension? Is it the first 5.3 miles of the trail?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

nice! gives me another reason to head back to the pinhoti eventually
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

This trail is separate from the existing trail on Flagg. This is the TH where the new trail goes through the new section of land that was bought. It cuts out some of the road walk. There is also a new shelter. Very exciting.

Are there any online maps of this new section?

Looking forwards to checking this out next time I'm there. I will will be completing my last 35 miles of the GA side of the BMT this July.

Ok I can't get it to post here but I'm going to post the mapon my website on the map section. www.coosahikerhostel.weebly.com
    Attached Files Attached Files

Never mind, it attached above

I really like what's going on with the Pinhoti Tr especially the AL section. HOWEVER, I would LIKE to see more of GA get into promoting and supporting the PT especially rerouting some milage off roads. . The PT is a wonderful trail that isn't appreciated enough! Agree with Nimblewill Nomad. The PT should be considered more often as a shake down hike in prep for an AT Thru attempt or and extension of the AT or BMT. Some GREAT trails on the east coast and the southeast that don't get the recognition they RIGHTLY deserve! Seems what folks overwhelmingly are absorbed with is the AT the At the AT.......Wake up! As much as I love the AT plenty of other long distance hiking opps in the southeast than just the AT!

Quote Originally Posted by ccsj12 View Post
    Ok I can't get it to post here but I'm going to post the mapon my website on the map section. www.coosahikerhostel.weebly.com
    Excellent! Thank you.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I really like what's going on with the Pinhoti Tr especially the AL section. HOWEVER, I would LIKE to see more of GA get into promoting and supporting the PT especially rerouting some milage off roads. . The PT is a wonderful trail that isn't appreciated enough! Agree with Nimblewill Nomad. The PT should be considered more often as a shake down hike in prep for an AT Thru attempt or and extension of the AT or BMT. Some GREAT trails on the east coast and the southeast that don't get the recognition they RIGHTLY deserve! Seems what folks overwhelmingly are absorbed with is the AT the At the AT.......Wake up! As much as I love the AT plenty of other long distance hiking opps in the southeast than just the AT!
    Just saw this on FaceBook -Trail construction between Jackson Chapel and Cave Springs.

This is just another post to express my frustration that the southern terminus is not at the top of Flagg Mountain. I know it's not under our control, but it makes me feel better to vent.

Maybe one day...

++ New Posts ++