WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

booya

Welcome to Whiteblaze.net.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

starbucks via, anything bold flavor. and i dehydrate muffins to add to my morning breakfast. . .it's like have a biscotti with your a.m. coffee!

.com

Let's be honest here, Via isn't coffee, it's brown water with caffeine. But, it's the most convenient brown water for backpacking because of how it's packaged.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Let's be honest here, Via isn't coffee, it's brown water with caffeine. But, it's the most convenient brown water for backpacking because of how it's packaged.
    Again, isn't it funny we all have different tastes? Via is delicious to me, best instant I've ever tasted especially the bolder flavors. I sometimes use two via's in a 12 oz cup. Some of us like very bold, dark coffee. Enjoy whatever you like! I promise I won't bad-mouth your tastes if you don't mine/our's, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by booya View Post
    Hey so what have you all used to make coffee in the morning? I've read about instant, drip, and press. What have you found to be the best?
    Starbucks via and Folger's Fresh Breaks Black silk are my favorite of the instants--they are just about as good as any other average coffee. I've done a press in a coffee mug with a built in press while car camping. It's a pain to clean up. Haven't tried drip--it would probably be in between the other two in terms of ease.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Starbucks Via for me. Folgers Black Silk is almost as good for a bit less. Every other day. I make tea on in-between days.

And I don't want to hear gagging noises, but sometimes I make/drink my coffee cold. No sense heating water in the morning when I spent the night a bit warm. The iced tea I sometimes I make the night before and drink it in the morning at 'room' temp.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Again, isn't it funny we all have different tastes? Via is delicious to me, best instant I've ever tasted especially the bolder flavors. I sometimes use two via's in a 12 oz cup. Some of us like very bold, dark coffee. Enjoy whatever you like! I promise I won't bad-mouth your tastes if you don't mine/our's, ok?
    I have never tasted an instant that I like, but Via is close. It is dense too. Other options require more of the powder to achieve the same strength. I find one Via packet enough to do the job. No measuring device required.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 03-26-2015 at 14:47.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I bought empty "tea" bags only and fill with my own coffee for drop boxes. Other than that, either or without or find something in town. We may drink lots of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    In taste tests, many people are unable to differentiate between regular Starbucks drip coffee and Via. Now, I know that some people hate Starbucks drip coffee as well, and it isn't my favorite, but compared to the alternatives on the trail, it is not a bad option. If all I wanted was brown water and caffeine I'd just take a ziplock of Folgers instant and life would be simpler.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

The best I have had and cost effective. Just not available except by amazon - unless you have a Korean store locally. It is coffee, creamer, and sugar. Not too sweet though. My wife adds hot chocolate mix (about a teaspoon or so) to make a chocolate mocha. I like it just as is. Hot water, add one packet, and your golden.
    http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Mocha-Ko...coffee+packets

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rustmd View Post
    starbucks via, anything bold flavor. and i dehydrate muffins to add to my morning breakfast. . .it's like have a biscotti with your a.m. coffee!

.com
    I don't try for really high mileage, so I don't mind waiting a little while in the morning. I pack a Fauxbaker, three foil muffin cups, and a third of a box of just-add-water muffin mix. (Lately I've been using the mixed berry scone mix from Trader Joe's.)

Instructions are in the captions at this photo set.

Steam time is about 25 minutes. With the simmer ring in place, my stove can go that long on about an ounce of alcohol.

Interestingly enough, I don't like these scones all that much done in the oven at home. They come out too dry that way. They're much nicer as steam-baked muffins on the trail.

A Fauxbaker and the muffins are only about 20 grams together, and the extra ounce of alcohol is ... less than an ounce (Alcohol is lighter than water). I have other trail breakfasts that are heavier and less tasty.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I prefer Medaglia D' Oro Instant Espresso, most of the instants upset my stomach. Plenty of flavor without the coffee gut.

I like those folgers singles that look like tea bags.

Like Another Kevin, I also use a cone filter.

1867382e6a3f.jpg
    Can't recall the weight offhand, but I remember thinking the grams were negligible and worth it.

Giving the grounds one good stir (in the filter while filtering) greatly impacts the quality of the brew. Satisfying.

Just about any instant or bags is fine with me if I have my French vanilla creamer

Images

aeropress with kaffeologie steel mesh/or disposable paper filters
    See ya when I get there.

+1 on the Aeropress. Finally got one this week and I'm very impressed. It's about 7 ounces, but makes an excellent cup of coffee and the cleanup is nearly instant. Most of the time I leave the stove at home, but when I want a cup of coffee on the trail this will be my go to method from now on. Much, much easier to deal with than a french press in terms of cleanup.

Default +1 very overlooked

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Attachment 30349
    instant, strong, inexpensive
    I've tried it all, the cone the, instant coffee, instant Starbucks, making real coffee etc. but when i discovered instant espresso things just made sense hot or cold this stuff makes good coffee quick and to the point. don't right it off because it's instant and it's not Starbucks it's worth a try. instant espresso makes a good cup a joe for your get up and go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Real coffee is best.
    Im a heavy coffee drinker, but dont drink much on trail. Fortunately im not someone addicted that gets caffeine withdrawal headaches. Must be some miracle that i dont.

I find all the starbucks tastes burnt. I can deal with nescafe or folgers singles better.

Most of the time, its nothing.
    Interesting little tidbit about Folgers and Starbucks. I used to work for the Company that owned Starbucks on the Starbucks Brand. When Starbucks was growing we ran a series of consumer tests. Blind taste test Folgers hands down beat Starbucks among Americans by some like 60/40. However, when the Branding was added Starbucks beat Folgers.

Many people, including myself, find Starbucks "burnt." I also take the Folgers stick packs, I like them better and much less expensive to boot.

Images

Hilarious, first we have a post (posts?) telling us that there's no way we could possibly like dark roast (AKA: "burnt") coffees like Starbucks, NOW we have a post telling us that we only THINK we like SB's because of the branding, from some alleged "study". Yikes, the mind absolutely boggles!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++