WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How NOT to trigger negative behavior in someone else's dog...

(Moderator: please let me know if this thread should be moved. My intent is not to start a debate but to simply encourage folks to list some straightforward tips and advice as to how we should all behave around dogs on the trail.)

I think this thread will be of benefit to both dog owners and non dog owners alike. I have hiked and backpacked with many dogs over the years; both my own dogs and friend's dogs. Just like every one of you reading this I don't know all there is to know about k9 behavior and how best to interact and hike with them. Let's see if we can give each other some helpful suggestions.
    Here's a few to get things started.....

1. When you see a breed of dog that is commonly known to be friendly do not assume that the dog is friendly or cares to be touched.

2. Trail runners: If you are running up behind a hiker with a dog please announce your presence to us as early as possible. I will be more than happy to remove myself and my pup from the trail so you can pass without breaking stride or freaking out my dog.

3. ASK ME if you can pet my dog before you begin to reach for him.

4. When hiking with your super friendly, completely loving dog do not forget that there are people on the trail that have deep-seated fear of dogs and even just having to pass within feet of your leashed pet will freak these people out. I had a nice, short conversation with a couple on the A.T. about this fear and as a result I now put myself between the trail and my dog when we step off to let others pass. Obviously this isn't always possible due to thick vegetation, cliffs, etc..

5. Irregardless if you are with or without a dog, when you find yourself about to cross paths with someone who is hiking with a dog and that person doesn't seem to be aware of you go ahead and speak out or make some noise to alert the dog owner of your presence.

6. If you think your dog shouldn't be on a leash while hiking a public trail you should find private land to take your dog hiking on. That is my opinion but above all know that leash laws are in place for a good reason and they do apply to you. There are situations in which the dog can need to be unleashed for safety reasons (like when a sketchy scramble can't be avoided) but to hike public trails with your dog off leash is just an open invitation for negative interactions with other dogs and humans. Leashes do a lot to prevent both dog and human confrontations.

I pretty much agree with your guidelines, August W. I've had dogs all my life and am very comfortable around animals. Here's what works for me. First rule, be calm (this helps with difficult people and situations, too). Animals can sense fear and often react aggressively to it. Second, don't approach a strange dog; let the dog come to you, and if it does, don't reach out to it. Instead, offer your hand, palm down, and let it sniff first before attempting to pet its head. I have to do this with my own husky, which has lived with me since 2003. Third, never offer food or treats to somebody else's dog, and never offer suggestions to the dog's owner unless asked or unless you feel the dog is being severely mistreated (and then, be very tactful).

Images

Indeed, those are some helpful suggestions.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I pretty much agree with your guidelines, August W. I've had dogs all my life and am very comfortable around animals. Here's what works for me. First rule, be calm (this helps with difficult people and situations, too). Animals can sense fear and often react aggressively to it. Second, don't approach a strange dog; let the dog come to you, and if it does, don't reach out to it. Instead, offer your hand, palm down, and let it sniff first before attempting to pet its head. I have to do this with my own husky, which has lived with me since 2003. Third, never offer food or treats to somebody else's dog, and never offer suggestions to the dog's owner unless asked or unless you feel the dog is being severely mistreated (and then, be very tactful).
    Thanks for the reply. Just another option here... rather than offering your hand with your palm down, offer your hand in a balled fist. If the dog bites you may be less injured if your hand is in a fist position.

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Just another option here... rather than offering your hand with your palm down, offer your hand in a balled fist. If the dog bites you may be less injured if your hand is in a fist position.
    Additionally, a small dog may not be able to open it's mouth wide enough to get a good bite on your fist.

Okay, I'm heading to the park now with my dog and will try the fist (relaxed, not clenched), if the opportunity presents itself.

Awesome thread. Especially point 4. I love dogs. I seek permission from the owner to say hi to them when I am allowed. My wife is terrified of them. She was attacked by one as a child. I have wanted to mention this on other dog threads, but people were arguing. I did not want to appear to be piling on with an unconstructive thought. Hopefully this becomes an informative guide to peaceful and proper relations on the trail as it pertains to dogs. It really should. If not, I wanted to get this in early in case it goes south. I will be checking back on this thread. I am certain I will be gaining knowledge.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Great thread, I agree with many of the comments made about dogs on the trail. As a person definitely afraid of dogs but always trying o conquer my fears , I rely on the dog owner to tell me what I can and cannot do while in the presence of their dog. Recently while doing trail magic at woodys gap we had a group of hikers and two young ladies with two dogs, one of them was off the leash when another hiker came upon us and the dog not on the lease started biting him around the ankles, the owner was able to get the dog back and skin wasn't broken, the hiker was dog lover , I wonder what would have happened what if he was not a dog lover. The group stopping for food at woodys gab made comments to the dog owner about keeping her dog on the leash. I see trouble moving forward with these particular two dogs. Many of the hikers that came throug with dogs while we were at Woody' Gap had wonderful dogs and I ask the owners if they could have hot dogs , if the dog owner said yes, dogs got a treat. I have to rely on the owners of these dogs while I'm out hiking or doing trail magic and so far 95% have been a pleasure to be around. ARFH!!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Awesome thread. Especially point 4. I love dogs. I seek permission from the owner to say hi to them when I am allowed. My wife is terrified of them. She was attacked by one as a child. I have wanted to mention this on other dog threads, but people were arguing. I did not want to appear to be piling on with an unconstructive thought. Hopefully this becomes an informative guide to peaceful and proper relations on the trail as it pertains to dogs. It really should. If not, I wanted to get this in early in case it goes south. I will be checking back on this thread. I am certain I will be gaining knowledge.
    Thanks for chiming in. I too hope this thread doesn't turn into a mass arguing match. I originally deleted #6 as not to provoke those who have strong opinions and short tempers about the whole leash deal but I have seen and experienced too many lousy scenarios that could have been totally avoided by a leash. Here's to common courtesy and calm discussion (I would insert a pic of my raised glass but I'm feeling lazy).
    l think I will learn from this thread as well, and since my dog is my favorite hiking companion I believe I owe him this much.

One thing I have trouble with are people petting my Service Dog. Mostly children as they walk by but, also some adults. My dog loves people and loves to be pet which is fine when her vest is off but, when the vest is on, it's all work. I just wanted to point this out as most people don't realize that when you see a Service Dog you aren't suppose to pet it.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Is it okay to ask for advice in this thread? We will fine out. Please be gentle. I may be ignorant, but I am not evil.

I have seen some friendly dogs on the trail that come right up to me. Most of the time I am not the first one to say hi and the owner has set the proper stage. Once in a while a happy dog arrives before the owner. My question does not have anything to do with if that is proper. I don't need help with that.

Somewhere in Maine (I don't recall where), I was climbing down a hill. I was tired. As I sat down, I heard a deep echoing "wooooof". I thought 'that thing is big'. Just then an enormous black lab appeared around a corner, loping right at me. His tail was wagging so hard, I thought it might break. It ran straight at me. I put my arms out to catch him hoping not to be knocked over. Soon, the out of breath owner appeared. He was apologizing as I was enjoying the best companionship I had in days.

I am certain there are opinions. I told you what I did. What should I have done? I am not interested in what he should have done. I can't control him. He is not here to tell his side. Any advice for me?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

As a runner, I definitely appreciate your including #6. You might know that your dog can be trusted off leash, but I might be coming around a corner onto an unleashed dog. I have to make a split second decision what I should do, and obviously I am going to side on being as careful and cautious as possible. This can mean coming to a complete stop, but will always include some bit of fear.

I am not normally afraid of dogs (indeed, I live with one currently and dog-sit for others on a regular basis) but I think it is human/animal instinct to be startled and have a flight/fight response in an instance like that.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Journal Entries

Great idea for a thread, August! Really appreciated! It'll make trips even more enjoyable all 'round. Best!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I'm in the same boat. My wife was mauled by a dog when she was about 10. When we first met she was extremely afraid of dogs. It's lessened to just very afraid. As her husband, I usually put myself between her and any new dog we meet. It seems to help (but suggestion #4 would also help).
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

That's good info, just a point I want to make is a person should never take a unfriendly dog on any trails around people you are responsible for you dogs actions. when I come in contact with a dog I always speak to the dog 1st and that gives me a good response to a dog, if the hair comes up and it show its teeth more likely I will back away if the dog come towards me it will be pepper sprayed. I love to hike with my dog and he has made many doggy friends on the trail also....

#6 really is more an item for a list of how not to trigger negative behavior in someone else with your dog, but I'm glad you included it

Everyone thinks their dog is voice trained because it comes for dinner when called. Getting a dog to respond when he wants to chase a rabbit or growl at strangers is when you find out. Even if your dog is fully voice trained if he's running fifty yards ahead of you down trail you aren't really there to control it.

I am a dog lover who hates to run into poorly controlled animals on trail. It makes me think less of the owner and makes me feel sad for the dog whose owner let him down. On the other hand well controlled dogs earn their owners a hearty thanks and a compliment on their efforts.

Journal Entries

Clouseau: Does your dog bite?
    Hotel Clerk: No.
    Clouseau: [bowing down to pet the dog] Nice doggie.
    [Dog barks and bites Clouseau in the hand]
    Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!
    Hotel Clerk: That is not my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    2. Trail runners: If you are running up behind a hiker with a dog please announce your presence to us as early as possible. I will be more than happy to remove myself and my pup from the trail so you can pass without breaking stride or freaking out my dog.
    But, but...I love when I'm out running and I sneak up on a dog and then slam my foot on the ground and the dog tucks its tail in between its legs and is so fraught with fear it doesn't know whether to run or fall down in a submissive position

#17 that's a good one..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    But, but...I love when I'm out running and I sneak up on a dog and then slam my foot on the ground and the dog tucks its tail in between its legs and is so fraught with fear it doesn't know whether to run or fall down in a submissive position
    Dogs have the same infirmities as people, especially elderly ones can be hard of hearing or deaf.

So, you are proud for bullying the handicapped?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++