WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

It all works, after all, it's just walking.... as others have said, I've done it all ways, with and without. In my case thousands of miles both with and without a pole and a few times, two poles. I sure don't like two poles, but have settled on one for most hiking, a very lightweight (BD z-pole) foldable pole, I think it's 6 ounces, folds down to thirds for easy stowing on climbing and semi-climbing terrain. Now that I own a zpacks hexamid, it's also now my single tent-pole.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blazercoach View Post
    On previous hikes in my youth I used a 6 ft. staff. .....
    Hah! At 39 you are still in your "youth". I've used a pair of trekking poles for years having graduated from a single fancy pole when I was about 10 years older than you after I picked up a stick during a backpack trip in the Canadian Rockies and found out how much better two poles were than just one. I was having trouble with the knee on the leg I fractured when I was still in my youth (age 25). It healed a bit short and 30 years of walking without a lift (who knew?) had worn the medial meniscus a lot. I find poles work well both up and downhill. They take some of the stress off ones knees and on the relatively level can be used like cross country ski poles to give your stride a bit of a boost. I've had great luck with Leki poles. They have excellent customer service and have, more than once, replaced bent lower sections.

You should be able to get quite a way in 50 days. I was at Partnership Shelter near Marion VA on May 1 after a Mar 15 start. If you want to try some "training" hikes, Northeast Ohio Backpacking Club out of the Cleveland area runs a lot of weekend trips.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I got poles three years ago.

For me, they're knee savers. I don't know if I'd still be hiking without them.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I prefer a staff. It comes in handy when dealing with evil wizards.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I got poles three years ago.

For me, they're knee savers. I don't know if I'd still be hiking without them.
    Spot on. I'm sure without trekking poles I would have had to stop doing this a while ago.

I use old Scott ski poles with these break-away grips.

I love them. I hold the tops of the grips in the palms of my hands and wrap my fingers around inside the grips. They feel like extensions of my arms. In thousands of miles hiked, I've almost never held them like traditional ski/hiking poles. (Man, that "thousands of miles hiked" statement has sure become popular. Do you suppose it has anything to do with beer?
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    I use old Scott ski poles with these break-away grips.

I love them. I hold the tops of the grips in the palms of my hands and wrap my fingers around inside the grips. They feel like extensions of my arms. In thousands of miles hiked, I've almost never held them like traditional ski/hiking poles. (Man, that "thousands of miles hiked" statement has sure become popular. Do you suppose it has anything to do with beer?
    Sounds like you use them like PacerPoles. Interesting.

Does anyone know if there is a US retailer that carries Pacer Poles? I would like to try handle and try them before shipping them in from the UK.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a US retailer that carries Pacer Poles? I would like to try handle and try them before shipping them in from the UK.
    As far as I know, the answer is no. Last summer I needed a replacement section for my 10 year old PacerPoles. I had originally bought them through Brian at ULA, but they are no longer the US distributor. I contacted the company directly and received excellent service. Prices include shipping to US. Turn-around was quick, and they included a free gift with the shipment. Call/email them and explain what you want, I bet they'll offer a guaranteed return policy, not sure who would have to pay for it.

I HIGHLY recommend PacerPoles and the company that makes them. On one previous occasion I had to deal with the company directly for new carbide tips. That was an equally fine experience.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    Lol! Or, perhaps, parting the waters when you come to a water crossing?

I wonder what the percentage of hikers these days carry at least one pole. I bet it's on the order of 75%. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    As far as I know, the answer is no. Last summer I needed a replacement section for my 10 year old PacerPoles. I had originally bought them through Brian at ULA, but they are no longer the US distributor. I contacted the company directly and received excellent service. Prices include shipping to US. Turn-around was quick, and they included a free gift with the shipment. Call/email them and explain what you want, I bet they'll offer a guaranteed return policy, not sure who would have to pay for it.

I HIGHLY recommend PacerPoles and the company that makes them. On one previous occasion I had to deal with the company directly for new carbide tips. That was an equally fine experience.
    Thank you sir! Do you know if snow baskets that fit standard poles will fit on these? I have some really old baskets that provide a lot of stability even in snow with a lot of loft.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    A wizard’s staff has a knob on the end. Just sayin’ that up front and first:
    http://www.lspace.org/fandom/songs/wizards-staff.html

I’ve used 2 staves for a while now – used to use one, picked up another on the Trail in 2012 quite by accident and used them ever since.

I have a rake handle and the natural stick I picked up. I always say I don’t trust my weight to a couple of AL tubes.

Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Thank you sir! Do you know if snow baskets that fit standard poles will fit on these? I have some really old baskets that provide a lot of stability even in snow with a lot of loft.
    Sorry, can't confirm one way or the other. I don't use baskets on my poles so don't pay much attention. If I recall, the PacerPoles come with some all-purpose "mud" baskets, and I believe they do have snow baskets available as well, but I don't know if they would be standard with other manufacturers. As I said, an email to the company could probably answer your question for sure.

Interesting thread.
    I have always used a staff. A long one, 5 1/2 feet or longer. It probably doesn't help much as far as taking any of the load off, but it has kept my nose out of the dirt more times than I can remember and is nice to have on tricky and/or steep descents. On climbs requiring the use of hands I simply lay it uphill ahead of me as I go. A shorter staff would not be a useful, and I do hear of the lightweight trekking poles breaking on occasion. Oh yeah, and there is nothing like a long staff when you need something to lean on while admiring a view. Good trekking poles are pricy, good staves need not cost anything.
    But the comments made in this thread are making me reconsider my feelings towards trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodturner View Post
    Interesting thread.
    I have always used a staff. A long one, 5 1/2 feet or longer. It probably doesn't help much as far as taking any of the load off, but it has kept my nose out of the dirt more times than I can remember and is nice to have on tricky and/or steep descents. On climbs requiring the use of hands I simply lay it uphill ahead of me as I go. A shorter staff would not be a useful, and I do hear of the lightweight trekking poles breaking on occasion. Oh yeah, and there is nothing like a long staff when you need something to lean on while admiring a view. Good trekking poles are pricy, good staves need not cost anything.
    But the comments made in this thread are making me reconsider my feelings towards trekking poles.
    I too used to be firmly of the opinion a single wood hiking staff was the best option and not coincidentally, very cool looking. Borrowing a set of poles on a trip for a long hike I found them more beneficial than my trusty hickory staff.

The switch to poles has added years to my being able to hike. They are amazingly adaptive to a number of uses and are pretty rugged. I have not experienced a break or failure over the past several years of fairly regular use. If you can borrow a pair and take them on a test drive, you may find you like what they do for you.

Images

Forgot to ask since this is a poles-staff-stick thread:

Has anyone ever used/made bamboo poles?

I'm in the process of sorta making a set, as I don't really know what I'm doing. They seem almost as light as aluminum, MUCH lighter than my sticks and seem to be just as strong as my sticks when I put my weight on them. I can make them as long as I need, since my trekking poles are a bit short at times, but I just can't shorten them up for travel.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I am also in the camp of those who, if not for poles, would likely no longer be able to hike rugged or extended trips. One can transfer a significant amount of impact to the upper body using poles. I wish I knew this when I was much younger, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++