WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Questions about Harper's Ferry to Duncannon

Hey all,

Currently planning a hike from Harper's Ferry to Duncannon sometime late May early June. Have some specific questions, any help appreciated.

1. Where can I leave my car in Duncannon for 2 weeks?
    2. Recommended shuttle from Duncannon to Harper's Ferry?
    3. I can hike with about 4 days of food, averaging 8-10 miles a day. This section is about 125 miles. Will there be adequate resupply? The terrain does look easier, so maybe I'll move faster, but I just want to know I can resupply easily.
    4. How's the water through here?
    5. Good places to go into town and maybe zero? I'm hiking with a polite (and leashed) dog.
    6. How hard is the Cumberland Gap 18 miler? It looks relatively flat. I've done 15 miles in a day before so I'm not super worried.

Any suggestions or info appreciated.

Journal Entries

Bob Anderson aka “Jeb”Mechanicsburg, PA(717) 554-9945 [cell][email protected]/PA state line toPA 61/Port Clinton
    Above is from the ATC shuttle list. Says he only goes to the MD/PA line, but you could ask. Haven't used him yet. He's set up to shuttle us in central PA next month. He responded quickly to my email, and gave a reasonable price for the trip.
    If he says no, try someone on this list: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...t.pdf?sfvrsn=0

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Cumberland valley is very flat. If you don't want to go the whole 18 mile stretch you can stay in a motel where the trail crosses U.S. 11. Hotels can be seen from the overpass. super 8, days inn, etc. Also, I recommend the Middlesex diner (great food and open 24 hrs.)
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Stayed at a Hilton property off that exit and I remember a couple of things:

1. It was about a 2 mile walk to the hotel. Staying on points is nice except when it makes you roadwalk that far extra.
    2. The path down to the roadside was hard to find. It's on the north side of the road and not right at the end of the bridge - a few feet further on the left.
    3. No grocery store close - resupplied from gas station with junk food.
    4. This is where I discovered beer is not sold in gas stations in PA. I was very confused.

Images

You must be thinking of a different road or you walked 2 miles for no reason. US 11 (Carlisle Pike) is less than a half mile from several motels. It is a scramble off the overpass, but easy to find. You are correct about no grocery store close. Beer is sold in special stores in PA. I agree, that stinks.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Answer to first question

> Where can I leave my car in Duncannon for 2 weeks?

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...20&sectionID=9

Check the info on that city:
    "According to the Town of Duncannon, the official place to hike for both short and long term parking in Duncannon itself is by the old railroad section. The intersection of Market St. and Cumberland St. is where the northbound AT goes left off Market onto Cumberland. (This is a short block south of the Doyle Hotel). To r[e]ach the parking lot, go east on Cumberland St. at this intersection. (right if going north on Market). In one block go right again for a short distance to the parking area on the left."
    "The Duncannon municipal authorities recommend that you park on the side closest to the train station because there is a ball field on the other side and vehicles have been struck by errant baseballs and damaged. They also recommend you contact the Penn Township Police ((717) 834-6414) and tell the your plans and vehicle description. They keep an eye on this lot but giving them your vehicle info will help secure it."

Images

Water should not be a big problem that early and in that part of PA. It can be an issue in July and August.

Images

I live in the area and can provide shuttle service for a donation if it fits into my work schedule. Do you have a specific date yet? I'm not an official AT shuttle person, but plan to be in the future.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

++ New Posts ++