WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default osprey talon 44 backpack

Does anyone have any experience with the osprey talon 44 backpack. I am looking for a good lighter weight backpack that would be good for either a thru-hike or hiking long sections of the trail. I need a pack in a small or small/medium. I plan on keeping my weight to under 30 pounds including food and water. I would appreciate any advise on what would be a good pack .Thanks

I'd say look at the Exos over the Talon. The Talon is more of a top end daypack than a pack suited to long hikes or thruhikes, imo.

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

I took my Osprey Talon 44 with me to the hundred mile wilderness vs my Aether 70. The Talon is a great pack if you are a minimalist and and keep your weight under 30 lbs . I like it because I can utilize every compartment on the straps and the straps on the outside of the pack I tend to carry a little bit more gear when I carry my aether 70, but I love that piack too.. It all depends on what your comfort level is and what type of weather season your hiking. IMO.

Images

I love the talon 44. It fits more and is easier to pack than my 60 liter osprey Volt. I have had it out for 6 days and 5 nights with no problems packing. It has a nice expandable part under the brain that you can cinch down if you don't need the extra room. The whole reason I even tried the pack was that my friend thru hiked with it and loved it. It fits me great. I think the exos is great as well, and you couldn't go wrong with either.

Images

My wife used the Talon 44 for our JMT thru, and she loved that pack, plenty big for her stuff, but I was carrying the bear canister (we got by with one for the two of us). The talon was her go-to pack for many years of backpacking, then she saw how much I loved my ULA OHM 2.0 and got one of her own... larger, lighter, more comfortable, never look back at her Talon 44.

Thanks for all the info everyone I appreciate it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have hiked with my 44L for years - I love it! I use the straps at the bottom of the pack to secure my tent and keep all other dry items inside a large black trashbag in the main compartment. It is very lightweight and fits my perfectly.

I had purchased a 33L in hopes that I would use it for overnight trips but it does NOT have any internal frame support. It hurts my back because the load manages to flex right into my low back and not only makes hiking uncomfortable - but is also very very hot because there's no air flow between your back and the pack (especially when walking uphill - I loosen my shoulder straps so the pack weight is all on my hips.

I think there's something like 4-8 oz difference between the 2. I'd without reserve buy the 44L again. I have used it on 100+ mile trips.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

Just for grins... here's a shot of my wife's Talon 44 after being ripped open by a bear... the red stuff is dried slobber from the bear who had just eaten her red Gatorade powder... Quite exciting event at 2:30 in the morning along the JMT! Another lesson leared about keeping proper bear discipline....

FWIW, Osprey has an iron-clad, 100% no-fault guarantee and replaced her pack free of charge. We were able to use those lower straps clipped in to hold the pack together for the rest of the trip (3 more days).
    Attached Images Attached Images

++ New Posts ++