WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...n/faq-20058492

Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and ricotta cheese, that have mold should be discarded. The same goes for any kind of cheese that's shredded, crumbled or sliced.

With these cheeses, the mold can send threads throughout the cheese. In addition, harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can grow along with the mold.

Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold so it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese.

Of course, not all molds pose a risk. In fact, some types of mold are used to make cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert. These molds are safe to eat.If you're not sure what type of cheese you have or what to do if it grows mold, the safe course is to discard it.
    Another indepth article
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ad-cheese.aspx
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Shelb, Yes there is a point when cheese goes bad. The harder the cheese or the bigger the piece the longer it takes. Mozzarella and shredded go quickly (think days) while a block Parmesan can last a long time. If the cheese has a rind or wax covering it will also last longer. Months to years in cooler weather.

Haaa...I started the same thread last year...my problem is now carrying enough....damn I love the seriously sharp Cabot cheddar...1 block is only 2 trail servings.....now carry a few for weekend hikes...lil heavy but don't need to carry as much tp........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by misprof View Post
    Shelb, Yes there is a point when cheese goes bad. The harder the cheese or the bigger the piece the longer it takes. Mozzarella and shredded go quickly (think days) while a block Parmesan can last a long time. If the cheese has a rind or wax covering it will also last longer. Months to years in cooler weather.
    Interesting! Thus far, I have only brought the parmesan packets left over from pizza places - great for flavor additive, but not enough to be nutritious....

In honor of this thread, I bought some Cabot cheese last weekend. In Texas even!
    Alpine Cheddar and Extra Sharp Cheddar. I opened the Alpine Cheddar first. WOW! With an apple. WOW! WOW! Love it! Backpack worthy.
    Adios string cheese. Hello Cabot!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    In honor of this thread, I bought some Cabot cheese last weekend. In Texas even!
    Alpine Cheddar and Extra Sharp Cheddar. I opened the Alpine Cheddar first. WOW! With an apple. WOW! WOW! Love it! Backpack worthy.
    Adios string cheese. Hello Cabot!

Wayne
    Try the Cabot seriously sharp cheeder...great w wheat thins.....my go to first day out lunch and dinner....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Try the Cabot seriously sharp cheeder...great w wheat thins.....my go to first day out lunch and dinner....

Alas, my local store only had the two favors.
    The next time we are in Boone, I'll look for the seriously sharp and anything else that tempts me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Alas, my local store only had the two favors.
    The next time we are in Boone, I'll look for the seriously sharp and anything else that tempts me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Even Wally World sells it here in n fl...

I can never seem to make any kind of cheese last more than 2 or 3 days so I have never ran into a problome with it going bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    I can never seem to make any kind of cheese last more than 2 or 3 days so I have never ran into a problome with it going bad.
    Me either...1 block of ss Cabot cheddar last 2 meals/snacks w wheat thins...damn dog comes alive when he smells the cheese. He could be sound asleep in his bag as soon as it's open he comes to life...I've always been hesitant to bring more than one block...I think I'll try a few for my next hike as I've heard people say it keeps several days unopened...

Apparently, this issue of how long cheese will last is not just a debate in the hiking community. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/defini...171430567.html

They cover the various cheese categories

Excerpt:

"When is cheese expired?

This question is a controversial topic in the food world. Some people say they scrape the mold off cheese and eat it, while others won't touch it past the expiration date.

We consulted an expert to find out how long cheese is safe to eat.

Kantha Shelke, a food scientist for Corvus Blue LLC and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists, pointed out the specifics to Business Insider.
    Given the apparent dangers of eating certain molds, it's important to know what to use, what to toss, and what to cut off and use."

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Apparently, this issue of how long cheese will last is not just a debate in the hiking community. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/defini...171430567.html

They cover the various cheese categories

Excerpt:

"When is cheese expired?

This question is a controversial topic in the food world. Some people say they scrape the mold off cheese and eat it, while others won't touch it past the expiration date.

We consulted an expert to find out how long cheese is safe to eat.

Kantha Shelke, a food scientist for Corvus Blue LLC and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists, pointed out the specifics to Business Insider.
    Given the apparent dangers of eating certain molds, it's important to know what to use, what to toss, and what to cut off and use."
    "Don't leave me in suspenders Doc."

She was right on the middle of a sentence that.....

Where is Paul Harvey?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a little string cheese Incident every now and then.
    i am going to pack my String Cheese Incident into my iPod for my hike.

FWIW,I can't count the times I have scraped a little blue mold off my sharp cheddar cheese block at home.I do keep it refrigerated in a zip lock with as little air in the bag as possible.Never have packed any for outdoors but if I do I would wrap it in paper inside a ziplock.I wonder if the cheeses that come in wax coverings last longer?I would tend to think so....

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    i am going to pack my String Cheese Incident into my iPod for my hike.
    So many string cheese incident references. I knew I became a member of this community for a reason!
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Refrigerators are great.

They've also really created a knowledge deficiency about what must and must not be refrigerated.
    Bingo!
    For example: People go crazy about warm Mayonnaise. Research will tell you that it isn't a problem because the acids in it retard bacteria growth so much it isn't a problem. Go ahead and get Mayonnaise on the Subway footlong that you pack out of town. In fact, placing the mayonnaise directly on the bread first seals the bread and stops it from getting soggy from the water contained in other condiments. Why do you think Wendys trains employees to place mayonnaise onto the bun first? WRGWRG, mustard on the meat. I'm also staying in a country at the moment that eggs are NEVER refrigerated.....no problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    FWIW,I can't count the times I have scraped a little blue mold off my sharp cheddar cheese block at home.I do keep it refrigerated in a zip lock with as little air in the bag as possible.Never have packed any for outdoors but if I do I would wrap it in paper inside a ziplock.I wonder if the cheeses that come in wax coverings last longer?I would tend to think so....
    No, not really. I brought some wax sealed cheeses home from Europe last year and even in the refrigerator, they began molding in no time. I just cut the small molded parts away and ate it.

The couple I was hiking the JMT with had hard salami and hard cheddar cheese in the MTR resupply buckets. You know what that means, it was sent at least 3 weeks prior to them starting the trail, and add the 10 days to get there. It was fine. They ate it the rest of the way with no issues.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

I have been packing the small wrapped portions of Cracker Barrel.......have been out for 10+ days, 0 degrees to 96 degrees, never a problem. Packages are easy to open, like this product.

60 posts on cheese? Cyber potatoes must be deathly afraid of noseeums and any temps above 70F to stay indoors for 60 posts and talk about cheese.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++