WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Cheese on the Trail, how?

How can you take Cheese on the Trail? I am getting ready to do a section hike on the JMT a 9 day stretch and I am wondering how to pack Cheese. Is it possible to pack Cheese and have it stay good in a Bear Canister? I was thinking String Cheese or even a hickory farms type of cheese block. Have you guys done it? And will it preserve?

Hard cheese will last a long time without any special attention.

Images

We pack string cheese all the time, never any incidents (!) even on long trips, like specifically the JMT. I have even pack decent sized hunks of cheddar, no problems.

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I carry mine in a ziplock so that any oil does not get all over the rest of my stuff. If you are worried about spoilage, then the harder and dryer the cheese the better.

But myself, I prefer to bring stinky blues. They are in a sense spoiled already, what could possibly wrong, they are not going to get any stinkier. You will be lucky to make a block of cheese last much more than a day anyway, mine never does.

Images

Recall that cheese was "invented" to preserve milk for long periods of time. This was way before the invention of refrigeration. Cheese will keep a long time at about any temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Recall that cheese was "invented" to preserve milk for long periods of time. This was way before the invention of refrigeration. Cheese will keep a long time at about any temperature.
    +1 For reals why does this confuse people? Next somebody is going to ask about ham.

To the OP little hint, the harder the cheese the longer it will last at higher temps. Typical refrigerator temps are actually bad for cheese and are well below the "ideal" storage temp for cheese which is about 50F. Of course I am talking about cheese not "cheese food" or "cheese product".

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob:1959233
    We pack string cheese all the time, never any incidents (!) even on long trips, like specifically the JMT. I have even pack decent sized hunks of cheddar, no problems.
    Nothing wrong with a little string cheese Incident every now and then.

Journal Entries

The individual vacuum packed cheese sticks keep a long time.
    I will carry them with me out of town. I wouldnt mail them weeks ahead of time.
    After a few warm days some get oily.
    See those Beef and cheese stick things in the convenience store? Not great cheese, but its cheese.

In days of yore, they carried cheese on sailing ships crossing the oceans that took months. You cut off the moldy part with worms, and eat the good part, in extreme situations. Its still edible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    That one flew right by me, thanks for picking it up. Should have known with a name like Colorado Rob.

Refrigerators are great.

They've also really created a knowledge deficiency about what must and must not be refrigerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    This thread is about cheese, not about jam.

And if you really want to get your cheese cool some of the time, you can double bag it and put it in the cold creeks for brief periods of "refrigeration." I've done that. . . just don't leave it unattended or overnight. But if I'm camping closeby, or setting up camp where I can watch it, I'll put it in the creek to chill. (weighted, of course, with a rock on top or something.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The individual vacuum packed cheese sticks keep a long time.
    I will carry them with me out of town. I wouldnt mail them weeks ahead of time.
    After a few warm days some get oily.
    See those Beef and cheese stick things in the convenience store? Not great cheese, but its cheese.

In days of yore, they carried cheese on sailing ships crossing the oceans that took months. You cut off the moldy part with worms, and eat the good part, in extreme situations. Its still edible.
    But . . .but . . . the mold and worms are the best part Protein and keeps those probiotics from getting too frisky.

At higher summer temps sometimes softer cheeses will separate a bit and leak out a little oil/fat, but they're still okay to eat.
    Summer sausage, cheese, and crackers - what's not to like.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    But . . .but . . . the mold and worms are the best part Protein and keeps those probiotics from getting too frisky.
    More accurate than you'd think! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu Ew!!
    Last edited by Farr Away; 03-30-2015 at 08:26.

Journal Entries

Makes me consider going fully vegan.

Andrew Zimmern shows a lot of different cheeses from all over the world and they are nothing like what we eat here...more of the old school, original form of cheese. Here's just one example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4RkIyApII

I don't know how long cheese will last on the AT, because I'm never able to keep it in my foodbag for more than a week. And that greasy stuff that comes off the cheese is good stuff.

Images

From the article
    When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 cm (6 in).
    Okay, a few dead bug parts and rat feces within FDA guidelines are okay as long as I don't see 'em, but I prefer food that doesn't move, and definitely have a problem when it jumps.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

http://www.packitgourmet.com/WisconsinCheddarCheese.html

Packit Gourmet sells shelf stable cheese in several varieties. A little pricey though $1.99 for 2 oz.
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Is there a point it does go bad?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++