WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default one spot available

If your interested let me know.

Entry Date: 06/13/2015
    Entry Trailhead: Happy Isles->Little Yosemite Valley
    Exit Date: 07/05/2015
    Exit Trailhead: Whitney Portal
    Number in Party: 4
    Number hiking Half Dome: 0
    Number of Stock: 0

Still avail??? I'm about ready to give up on a sept thru....permits are a pita!!!!!5 strike outs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Odds are you will have to try much more than that. Prime time is 95% rejection rate=20x. Sept isnt prime time, but its going to be more crowded than years past.
    Thank facebook.

Or get forest service permits.
    You can start from Reds Meadow, hike to yosemite , then shuttle back to Reds, and hike south to Whitney on a different permit. You need to space them so you know you can make it.

Or start at cottonwood lake trailhead and go Nobo, with a side trip to whitney.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-30-2015 at 18:54.

Images

SaltySack, did you take my suggestion on the permitting? That should have worked. Muddywaters advice is sound too. Also, make sure you are filling out the applications perfectly. Are you FAXing them after 5 PM before the first possible date? One mistake will send you to the 'No' pile.

Thx muddy & Scotty....if I try to go north from reds to hi then shuttle back...how does permits work...isn't reds outside park?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thx muddy & Scotty....if I try to go north from reds to hi then shuttle back...how does permits work...isn't reds outside park?

You get permits from INYO National Forest for Devils Postpile to HI and Devils Postpile to Whitney. Space them apart as much as you need, 8 or 9 days probably works.
    Inyo permits are done online at Recreation.gov . However there are walkups as well. 6 months in advance.

Same for cottonwood pass going North. You would want visiting Whitney, allows you to summit. adds a bit of distance though, and you hit high elev. pretty quick.
    Bonus is entering Yosemite on forest service permit entitles you to summit halfdome automatically I believe. Ssshhh
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-30-2015 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You get permits from INYO National Forest for Devils Postpile to HI and Devils Postpile to Whitney. Space them apart as much as you need, 8 or 9 days probably works.
    Inyo permits are done online at Recreation.gov . However there are walkups as well. 6 months in advance.

Same for cottonwood pass going North. You would want visiting Whitney, allows you to summit. adds a bit of distance though, and you hit high elev. pretty quick.
    Bonus is entering Yosemite on forest service permit entitles you to summit halfdome automatically I believe. Ssshhh
    Thx...only issue I have with the late INYO availability is resupply. Mtr will be closed on sept 19....VVR will be open. I'm planning on a min of 16 mpd after Devils pp to hi leg..with out a Resupply after vvr it would be ~120 miles 8 days...my base wt will be around 11-13 lbs w empty bv500....I should be lil under 30lbs w 8 days of food..I don't really have an extra day to hike out and hitch for Resupply..thoughts

still open, if you want it it is yours

salty I sent you a pm

Journal Entries

Thx...only issue I have with the late INYO availability is resupply. Mtr will be closed on sept 19....VVR will be open. I'm planning on a min of 16 mpd after Devils pp to hi leg..with out a Resupply after vvr it would be ~120 miles 8 days...my base wt will be around 11-13 lbs w empty bv500....I should be lil under 30lbs w 8 days of food..I don't really have an extra day to hike out and hitch for Resupply..thoughts

I did mtr to wp on 5.5 days food. I carried 8.5. I could have easily gone from vvr. I planned conservative 17 or so, usually did 20-23. Its easier hiking than AT, but in sept days may be a bit shorter.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-01-2015 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I did mtr to wp on 5.5 days food. I carried 8.5. I could have easily gone from vvr. I planned conservative 17 or so, usually did 20-23. Its easier hiking than AT, but in sept days may be a bit shorter.
    Thx...in the process of getting permits from dpp to hi....then back dpp south..starting on sept 7 Labor Day Monday...mtr will still be open.....Im used to hiking 15+ mpd but wife hasn't been out that much so want to take it easy..you think 6 days is fairly easy with the terrain for a newbie female who's in good physical shape...from dpp to hi..may do half done if allowed..

Journal Entries

Thx...in the process of getting permits from dpp to hi....then back dpp south..starting on sept 7 Labor Day Monday...mtr will still be open.....Im used to hiking 15+ mpd but wife hasn't been out that much so want to take it easy..you think 6 days is fairly easy with the terrain for a newbie female who's in good physical shape...from dpp to hi..may do half done if allowed..

Really hard to say. Its about 59 miles if i remember to reds meadow, sounds reasonable. Figure 2 days TM to HI easy downhill without halfdome. Possibly one day with light pack. 37 miles RM to TM in 4 days ought to be easy. Id add an extra day for halfdome and contingency for newb if possible.

Mw....just about done...can't get a Whitney trailcrest exit for a few days after I planned are they sticklers if you finish ahead of your Whitney exit date?

any one else?

++ New Posts ++