WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Carrying bottled gas for stove on Metro North and NJT?

Hi;
    I have been planning a section hike of the AT - from Anthony's Nose (just above the Bear Mtn bridge) NOBO to - ?? at least to Vermont.
    My MSR stove runs on bottled gas (I think it's a mix of propane and butane - it comes in cans I get at any outdoor store). Would I be allowed to carry one can of gas on a NJT bus and MNCR train?
    My plan is to take the bus from NJ into the PABT at 42nd st, walk to GCT, and get on a MNCR train to Peekskill, where I will pick up the Camp Smith trail to the AT.
    I don't know if there is a store where I could buy the gas in Peekskill, so I would need to carry just one can with me to the start.
    If that wouldn't work, I guess I will have to suffice on cold food (GORP) until I can get some gas.

Perhaps this is why some guys use gasoline stoves - you can pick it up at any gas station - but I don't like the whole concept of carrying and using liquid fuel. You get just a tiny bit of gasoline on your hands, and it stinks for a whole day. Get it into your clothing and ... well, you know.
    Anyway, I have this MSR stove, and I don't want to buy another one right now.

What do you think?

Arden

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Hi;
    I have been planning a section hike of the AT - from Anthony's Nose (just above the Bear Mtn bridge) NOBO to - ?? at least to Vermont.
    My MSR stove runs on bottled gas (I think it's a mix of propane and butane - it comes in cans I get at any outdoor store). Would I be allowed to carry one can of gas on a NJT bus and MNCR train?
    My plan is to take the bus from NJ into the PABT at 42nd st, walk to GCT, and get on a MNCR train to Peekskill, where I will pick up the Camp Smith trail to the AT.
    I don't know if there is a store where I could buy the gas in Peekskill, so I would need to carry just one can with me to the start.
    If that wouldn't work, I guess I will have to suffice on cold food (GORP) until I can get some gas.

Perhaps this is why some guys use gasoline stoves - you can pick it up at any gas station - but I don't like the whole concept of carrying and using liquid fuel. You get just a tiny bit of gasoline on your hands, and it stinks for a whole day. Get it into your clothing and ... well, you know.
    Anyway, I have this MSR stove, and I don't want to buy another one right now.

What do you think?

Arden
    Hard to say. For example, Amtrak and Greyhound specifically ban fuels http://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items and https://www.greyhound.com/en/docs/gr...items_list.pdf

That said, neither NJT nor Metro North publish an extensive list of prohibited items like the two above, NJT has nothing at all that I can find, and MTA/MNCR only has a vague statement in their ordinances regarding "highly combustible materials" lumped in with weapons http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#weapons

Real world, an iso-butane canister is a pretty rugged and safe item - and who is going to check? I've never had my pack/bag examined on any public ground transportation.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-30-2015 at 04:54.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Right. Who's going to check. I guess what it comes down to is that I may take it so long as my backpack isn't searched. If I do get searched, I can always plead ignorance, since there was nothing posted indicating specifically that the item was banned.
    OTOH, I could start my hike at the west end of Harriman Park, at Sloatsburg NY. I can buy the gas at Davis Sports Shop there in Sloatsburg, then get on the Pine Meadow or Suffern-Bear Mountain trail and hike through the park to the AT.
    It would be an extra 2 days, but if I am doing a section of the AT, it's not a problem. There is good public transportation to Sloatsburg as well.

Arden

++ New Posts ++