WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Saw a TJ entry last night which reported there was a rumor 150 people started at Springer yesterday, April 1st. (he was at Hiker Hostel heading out today) If true, that's totally nuts!

FS42 must have been like an interstate. I can't imagine that many people trying to find a place to camp along the first 10 miles of trial - or the next 10 miles. One part of me is glad I'm nowhere near there while another part of me thinks it would be fun to witness the madness. It's always fun to watch that many people try to set up their tents for the first time...
    There weren't that many on April Fools Day. I counted 63 NOBOs and 20 sectioners on 4/1. Not anywhere close to 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Hiker Hostel has been giving updates at their FB page. Those big numbers are accurate. I wonder how the volunteer AT ridge runners and GATC trail workers are holding up.
    I don't know exactly what they have posted but 150 is inaccurate. I know Josh got the March numbers from Amicalola Falls SP and approximately doubled that total to come up with a daily average for March. I think he come up with approx 50 hikers starting per day.

When I left yesterday (Sun, 4/5) I gave the Hiker Hostel my numbers from the previous week. Altogether I saw 443 NOBO's for an avg of 49 per day also an avg of 31 sectioners per day. Sectioners includes large groups and other hikers that might only be out for a night or two, but it also includes some that are hiking to HF.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    Although I wasn't there I am 99.9% confident calling that 150 number a gross exaggeration.
    It is.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    And the next thing u know the Americans With Disabilities Act will make them install ramps & other items so the handicapped can do the AT.
    One day I hope you acquire the maturity to see your point of view for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    When I left yesterday (Sun, 4/5) I gave the Hiker Hostel my numbers from the previous week. Altogether I saw 443 NOBO's for an avg of 49 per day also an avg of 31 sectioners per day. Sectioners includes large groups and other hikers that might only be out for a night or two, but it also includes some that are hiking to HF.
    49+31 = 80 per day? 443/7 = 63/day. Am I missing something here? Anyway you cut it, that's a lot of people passing through. Even if a lot of those were short section hikers, it still pushes the facilities to the limit for that area. I bet fire wood is becoming scarce...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Donner... table of 8, Donner?

Journal Entries
    Images

49+31 = 80 per day? 443/7 = 63/day. Am I missing something here? Anyway you cut it, that's a lot of people passing through. Even if a lot of those were short section hikers, it still pushes the facilities to the limit for that area. I bet fire wood is becoming scarce...
    443/9 days = 49 per day. 281/9 = 31 per day. 443+281=724/9 = 80 per day.

Indeed, there were lots of hikers down there. Check out my 'observations from fs42' thread for more stats.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries

They are not evenly spaced out. April 1 is no longer the peak either from some trends Ive seen past years. I think peak occurs around 2nd -3rd week of march these days. So whatever get figured, the peak is higher by a significant percentage, maybe 25%, maybe more. I think the 150 was April fools. I wouldnt be surprised if 100-120 started at some point though. .
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-06-2015 at 19:23.

Images

We were on Springer for a section hike on Sunday March 15th - at about 3pm 70 had started that day, 50 the day before.

Actually, the trail, hostels, shelters, etc were not nearly as busy as I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post

It is.

See you on the trail,
    []
    Squid are you going to be out hiking? It would be cool to meet a white blazer in person. I'm going by Slow Ride out here and usually easy to spot as I have one of the only Hyperlite packs I've seen. Doing about 11 tomorrow and the next leading to nearo at the NOC. maybe I'll see ya.

Well tonight is an interesting sight, first full day leading to night of rain I've seen at a shelter up here on Siler. I was right that most of the folks I was with stayed in Franklin but wrong to think the trail would empty out. There are multiple people in the shelter with sleeping bags in the dirt, no idea whether that is due to preference or lack of tent. The next few days sound like rain rain rain so it's time to retreat to dispersed tent sites. I usually tent nearby because i like the social scene at shelters but nothing has screamed norovirus ridden cesspool louder than what I saw tonight haha. Watching the food bags go in trees every night has been humorous too. I have no interest in revisiting the sleeping with vs hanging debate, but it suffices to say tossing your bag into a rhododendron bush may result in lack of breakfast. Or hanging from a branch that results in your bag being 12 feet high and 0 inches from a large easily climbed trunk. I try to educate when people want to hear it but they don't always want to or care. Such interesting times out here consolidating what I've heard about with what I'm seeing every day. Still no regrets and overall happy with going smack in the middle of the bubble, despite a few folks starting to live up the hiker trash thing perhaps a bit much the overwhelming majority I meet every day are fantastic people it is a pleasure to share the trail with.

I visited Springer the end of Feb which is when I will start next year. Hiked about 6 hours with my wife, we saw 7 people on the trail, 4 of them in a group. Not what I would call crowded at all. I think the trail can handle 150 if the hikers are responsible, stay on the trail and leave no trace. Not sure the camp sites can though. Fact is that the world is a pretty crowded place but the trail will thin out as you go. Most the crowds I expect to run in to will be later on, day hikers.

Default thanks

Thanks for that info. Glad to know. Got a few more years before my attempt. (But was really just being sarcastic). Much respect for the ADA.

Leaving Monday. Leaving from Bly and going nobo to NOC or Fontana depending on my mood. Doing a shakedown of a week or two before my real debarkation from HF on 02 May. I will let you know what I see (not that it matters). I expect to see a lot of folks in and around the shelters, but not wall-to-wall throughout the route.

Just to be perfectly clear, the reports of norovirus in North Georgia and the North Carolina border are also either greatly exaggerated, or more likely, at this date, false. those who spread this sort of information are performing no good service to anyone. Neither here at Neel Gap, at nearby Helen, Hiawassee, or anywhere near here has there been anything like a confirmed instance of illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Just to be perfectly clear, the reports of norovirus in North Georgia and the North Carolina border are also either greatly exaggerated, or more likely, at this date, false. those who spread this sort of information are performing no good service to anyone. Neither here at Neel Gap, at nearby Helen, Hiawassee, or anywhere near here has there been anything like a confirmed instance of illness.
    Well just today I had the pleasure of reuniting with a hiker who last week was medevaced and hospitalized for several days due to rapid onset uncontrollable vomiting from the vicinity of muskrat creek shelter which seems pretty close to Hiawassee. I'm quite certain that hiker's experience was neither exaggerated nor false. Most privies are near or over capacity and often the whole shelter area smells like an open sewer when the wind favors it. Nobody I've met on the trail
    Is spreading more than accounts of real incidents and suggestions about the standard Norovirus precautions. Maybe these false reports are strictly a keyboard borne Illness??

Well just today I had the pleasure of reuniting with a hiker who last week was medevaced and hospitalized for several days due to rapid onset uncontrollable vomiting from the vicinity of muskrat creek shelter
    Was this an isolated case or did many other people +/- a few days of this shelter also have problems? Last years norovirous outbreak had large numbers of people getting sick. That does not seem to be the case this year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Slo, to my knowledge it was isolated and I also don't have confirmation it was in fact Noro but the hiker was fine till after dinner and the word is that 5 rescuers got sick too so it certainly has the marks of highly contagious and rapid onset. It does seem a little early for a full outbreak from what I read last year but the conditions are certainly prime for it between crowded shelters/hostels and full privies. Also from my point of view it seems like many people are not taking the standard precautions. Time will tell...

Journal Entries

Most privies are near or over capacity and often the whole shelter area smells like an open sewer when the wind favors it. Nobody I've met on the trail
    Is spreading more than accounts of real incidents and suggestions about the standard Norovirus precautions. Maybe these false reports are strictly a keyboard borne Illness??
    There is a difference between a moldering privy, and a big pile of $h_t. The difference lies in rate of accumulation.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Saw a TJ entry last night which reported there was a rumor 150 people started at Springer yesterday, April 1st. (he was at Hiker Hostel heading out today) If true, that's totally nuts!

FS42 must have been like an interstate. I can't imagine that many people trying to find a place to camp along the first 10 miles of trial - or the next 10 miles. One part of me is glad I'm nowhere near there while another part of me thinks it would be fun to witness the madness. It's always fun to watch that many people try to set up their tents for the first time...
    I started on the 2nd and was told at the visitors center that 44 started on the 1st.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Just got back from a weekend section hike from Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap, NC. I saw no such problems as noted or speculated above by various posters. No trailside trash, no toilet paper blooms or stench around shelters/campsites, and no overflowing privies that I used. Just your standard bunch of section and thru hikers enjoying the trail. There was big time trail magic going on at Deep Gap. Also, noted quite a few women hikers this year. More IMO than I've seen in years.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Just got back from a weekend section hike from Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap, NC. I saw no such problems as noted or speculated above by various posters. No trailside trash, no toilet paper blooms or stench around shelters/campsites, and no overflowing privies that I used. Just your standard bunch of section and thru hikers enjoying the trail. There was big time trail magic going on at Deep Gap. Also, noted quite a few women hikers this year. More IMO than I've seen in years.
    Trail clubs do pack out trash, discarded gear, as well as maintain the privies. It can be a mess one day, and looking great the next. Ridgerunners are generally hauling trash and trailside detritus as well.

Clubs & Ridge runners should not have to pack out these idiots trash.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++