WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hiking partner(s) and advise for May long weekend GSMNP area

I am a 42 year old male in southwestern Ohio. I have day-hiked and camped for many years but am fairly new to backpacking. I want to do a long weekend (fri-sat-sun) or (sat-sun-mon) in mid or late May and I am looking for a companion or two. Not solid on dates or location, open to any ideas. Would prefer outside the national park since I do hammock camp.

I have hiked there some an love it but every where I go is with in the park....

Images

You can use a hammock in GSMNP at backcounty campsites. Just not at shelter locations. Most of the shelters are on the AT. There are over 800 miles of trails other than the AT in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    You can use a hammock in GSMNP at backcounty campsites. Just not at shelter locations. Most of the shelters are on the AT. There are over 800 miles of trails other than the AT in the park.
    you can use a hammock at the shelter locations, just don't attach it to any part of the shelter

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    you can use a hammock at the shelter locations, just don't attach it to any part of the shelter
    This is only true if you have a thru-hiker permit and the shelter is full. Check the regulations.

-FA

Images

you stillwant to go to the smokies? I P M ed you. going 20 mile creek area. for a loop.

Images

Just completed my first backpack trip in GSMNP. Awesome trip over the weekend, had great weather. Many thanks go out to gollwoods for all his planning and expertise. Highly recommend him if you are looking for someone to hike with.

++ New Posts ++