WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

The biggest issue with that design (and other similar designs from Big Agnes) is that during a rain, entry or exit means rain will come directly into the living quarters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hawkhero View Post
    Well, set it up in the living room the other day. It is small! I am 6'1" and it's tight. The one problem I think will be getting in/out if its raining. I could always sell it and buy a Tarptent!
    Hard to understand why one 6'-1" person (me) finds it plenty roomy and another doesn't, but I guess it all comes down to expectations and experience. Did you guy out the side nice and tight? Makes a big difference with interior room. I'm talking about the guy points mid-way up on the fly that attach to the tent body.

BTW: that perceived rain thing is a non-issue. I've used mine over 100 nights without getting rain inside the main tent body. In the 5% of the time it's raining hard while entering or exiting, you just have to take care and not 100% unzip the fly.

Sorry it didn't work out for you! sounds like you do need a more spacious tent. That wont be as warm, but if you're sticking strictly with warm-weather use, not a factor.

"Hard to understand why one 6'-1" person (me) finds it plenty roomy and another doesn't"
    Not uncommon.
    Many possible reasons
    Torso longer (or shorter for those who fit) than average
    Thick mat vs thin mat
    Sleeping on you back vs curled up
    "Just touching" the walls for one is "pushing against the walls "for another.

"Torso longer (or shorter for those who fit) than average"3
    I meant sit up room there...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    "Hard to understand why one 6'-1" person (me) finds it plenty roomy and another doesn't"
    Not uncommon.
    Many possible reasons
    Torso longer (or shorter for those who fit) than average
    Thick mat vs thin mat
    Sleeping on you back vs curled up
    "Just touching" the walls for one is "pushing against the walls "for another.
    Yeah, all good reasons, and I did understand when you mentioned torso length.

I still think it amounts to expectations and experience more than anything. Tarp tents are wonderful and spacious, but they have their issues as well. Sounds like the TT is the way to go for the OP. If I didn't get a pro-deal on new Big Agnes products (40% off), I'd buy his fly Creek from him, knowing that mine will eventually wear out. I think he can sell his for much better than 40% off; despite what is said on this thread (the negativity), the BA fly creek is a fairly highly rated tent (average 4 stars everywhere I see ratings).

Update: I sold the Fly Creek. I looked at the MSR Hubba nx. Ended up with a BA Copper Spur! Love the side entry better than the Fly Creek.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

BTW: that perceived rain thing is a non-issue. I've used mine over 100 nights without getting rain inside the main tent body. In the 5% of the time it's raining hard while entering or exiting, you just have to take care and not 100% unzip the fly.
    No, it is a real issue v.s. a perceived issue and is one of the reasons why BA also makes side entry tents with 'drip free' entry.

It is a ****ty design.

It is a great design if you are willing to deal with the compromise necessary for an under two pound design in a free standing tent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    It is a great design if you are willing to deal with the compromise necessary for an under two pound design in a free standing tent.
    Exactly. And I'm pretty sure the side entry thing is preferred by a lot of folks because it is simply easier to get into. I think the OP will be very happy with his decision. Good gear is all about tradeoffs. The CS is heavier, but more convenient.

Images

13 stakes required to full set up doesn't make it freestanding. What a great design.

It is free standing without any stakes in a pinch. It takes six for a full pitch if you have a brain. I also have a Hubba. I generally only carry it on the motorcycle.

Images

13 stakes for full pitch; not truly freestanding design. Show your 6 peg pitch that was done with a brain.

It is free standing without any stakes in a pinch. It takes six for a full pitch if you have a brain. I also have a Hubba. I generally only carry it on the motorcycle.
    I have a Fly Creek UL1, and have set it up various times with 6 to 11 stakes. Just curious about which 6 you consider the essential 6.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Two in back, two in front, two on sides . . . think I use 7 one in very back at the point. In '12 the BA Flycreek UL1 was probably the most popular tent on the trail. Mine comes in at 31 oz ready to go. My Hubba is about a lb heavier.

I've used a Fly Creek UL2 for a few years. Perhaps 120-130 nights? Who knows maybe more. Never had the issues that many are talking about. Been in some horrendous thunder storms and have always remained dry. Don't even use a footprint with it. Once the floor was "floating" as I had an inch or two of water under tent (I know, operator error as I was in a bad spot) and still remained dry. I have had some condensation on the fly but have never used a tent that this didn't happen and this is after all one of the purposes of the double wall construction. 95% of the time I set-up with 8 stakes. If it is to be very windy and I am exposed, I will use 2 extra stakes. I understand what the poster is talking about when he says that he sets up with 6 stakes. I just prefer to use the extra stakes as it is no big deal. All manufacturers of free-standing tents recommend some staking. If people are getting wet from either rain or condensation they obviously didn't set up properly. I have recommended, and will continue to do so, this tent to numerous interested people.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Two in back, two in front, two on sides . . . think I use 7 one in very back at the point. In '12 the BA Flycreek UL1 was probably the most popular tent on the trail. Mine comes in at 31 oz ready to go. My Hubba is about a lb heavier.
    Thanks, pretty much the same here, unless I do an extra 2 on the sides to cut down on condensation.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++