WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good place to start a section hike in Massachusetts?

Hey everyone I'm new here. Me and a few friends are planning on section hiking the AT towards the end of May.

I've done smaller section hikes before but we're planning on starting Somewhere in Western/Central mass (Berkshires) and hike to Katahdin.

I've had trouble finding a spot to start on the trail. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks a lot
    Brayden

From where you live near Springfield, I'd start where the trail crosses RT 8 a few miles east of Lee. Mass pike to RT 20, which turns into RT 8.

Keep in mind the end of May it's still going to be muddy and buggy out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yeah I kinda figured that but it's really the only time I'm going to have off this year so I'll make it work haha. the conditions will make it a little more challenging which I'm always up for.

Just needed a place to start so thanks for the response!

Images

The fastest way to get to the AT from Ludlow is to take the MA Pike from Ludlow to Exit 2 in Lee. Turn Left at the end of ramp and go east on Rt 20 for about 2 1/2 miles to the large turnout/parking area on the right. The AT crosses Rt 20 about 100 yds east of the parking area. I think this is what Slo-ge'en is refering to as the AT does not cross RT 8 until Dalton. Keep your eyes open when on the MA Pike, just past Greenwater Pond (on the right), you will go under the AT overpass which is just to south of the parking area mentioned above. So assuming whoever is dropping you off is returning to Ludlow, you could hike south on the AT and wave to them as they pass under you on the highway below. If you want to hike all of MA, start at the Undermountian Trail located on Rt. 41 in CT near the MA/CT stateline. This would allow you to hike the best the AT has to offer in MA, Bear Mt (CT) Sages Ravine, Race Mt, Mt. Everrett, Jug End. This would add +/- 3 days to your hike depending on pace. Have a great hike.

If you wanted to, you could simply take Route 20 all the way from Springfield area - a longer drive, but once you get out of Westfield area, it's more open as it travels through the mountains.

If you were coming that way, Rt. 8 does intersect and travel with 20 for a bit (which may be where the confusion in post 2 comes from). As a guide, after 8 splits off to the left, you'd go under the pike and then pass a pond on the left. The AT will cross after that, and then the pull off on the left.

I did a section last May, started at Tyringham rd., Beckett, MA and went NOBO. Great first shelter (Upper goose pond), within a few days you'll be over Greylock and into Vermont. Whatever you choose, you have to stop at Tom Levardi's house in Dalton. His house is one the trail and in AWOL guide, he's amazing.

I am planning to section hike MA in late April. I consider it my Spring Training as I live in Maine and don't often feel in shape for our rugged terrain until I have been out on the trail somewhere in the south in spring. Our spring in Maine is really mud season and this year the snow is so abundant. I am wondering if I should bother to bring my tent as it looks like there are plenty of shelters and even a porch or two to stay in during my week long hike. Will the bears be emerging and have plenty of food? If you are in the know please let me know if my "dry bag" strung up high is good enough?

Images

Dry bag, hung right, is good enough. Most of the shelters in MA have steel bear boxes.

Images

Just west of the AT in central MA, Yogi nailed my bird feeders last night. I was just getting ready to take them down for the season anyway.

++ New Posts ++