WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's in my signature but it's 22.7 times the elevation gain as the elevation gain from base camp to the summit. However while I've never been mountaineering the two are probably like apples and dodge chargers. Altitude is a huge factor (I recently got stationed at Fort Carson, CO which was about a 6,000ft increase for me) and also the climate. I wouldn't assume to compare the two. But 22.7x. That's your answer.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    One of the points I was trying to make about climbing Everest is that it is NOT just "up up up up up up... " followed by "down down down down down down". You have to partially climb the mountain several times before the final climb to the summit... so an Everest climb is more like "up up up down down down up up up up up up down down down down down down up up up up up up up up up down down down down down down down down down up up up up up up up up up up up up down down down down down down down down down down down down".
    Yes, good point.

Zero comparison. There's nothing on the AT that remotely compares to climbing Mt Whitney much less Everest. Lifting 5 pounds 200 times is not the same as lifting 1000 lbs once.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Zero comparison. There's nothing on the AT that remotely compares to climbing Mt Whitney much less Everest. Lifting 5 pounds 200 times is not the same as lifting 1000 lbs once.
    🐻Far more people have summited Everest than have completed the AT SOBO.🐭

Sure there is a comparison that you can learn from, you just can't say the comparison will result in a finding that they are equivalent.

Images

It takes some 5 million steps to hike the AT. Given a 150 day thru-hike, that's 33,000 steps per day. I walk about half that every day between work and other activities. So every year I do an AT thru-hike, comparatively - except there's no comparison.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It takes some 5 million steps to hike the AT. Given a 150 day thru-hike, that's 33,000 steps per day. I walk about half that every day between work and other activities. So every year I do an AT thru-hike, comparatively - except there's no comparison.
    Not sure what you do for a living 4EB, but if you are slacking on the job, I would have to agree.

Garlic
    Images

I think the relative fatality rates might tell a bit of the story. The Everest climb has a pretty high percentage of deaths especially when compared to successful summits. Death on the AT is certainly not unknown, and a good percentage of those are human-caused.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Let's not be so silly.
    In 2013 689 people summited Everest, but only 589 Northbounders reached Katahdin and registered as 2000 milers.

What's even more impressive is that the Northbounders were able to reach their goal without ropes.

Many of both groups had some of their gear carrier for them, however.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So what are the temps and wind speeds on Everest. Just don't compare the AT and Everest. 29K ft. vs 6.5K is a big difference. not to mention the rest of the specs.
    If you get a chance, take a look at Storm Over Everest 1996 on U-Tube. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is also good read on Everest.

I'm scratching my head on this. You can always make a comparison, you can compare swimming in a pool to swimming the English Channel. You can compare climbing a mountain and sitting in a chair. You draw conclusions from the comparison that's all. Maybe you find a lot of things that are common and maybe not. WRT Mount Everest and the AT which was the original question there is some commonality and a lot of things that are different but unless you compare the two you won't know what those things are or how they relate. Each has it's own challenges and dangers, one more so than the other. A comparison is a valid way to highlight the differences.

"No comparison" is a colloquial expression meaning that the two things being compared are much more different than similar, it is not an imperative to not make a comparison, lol.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So what are the temps and wind speeds on Everest. Just don't compare the AT and Everest. 29K ft. vs 6.5K is a big difference. not to mention the rest of the specs.
    Since you asked, here are temperature charts for Everest:
    http://www.explorersweb.com/adventureweather/charts/

Keep in mind that the A.T. does cross over Mt Washington which has some of the most dangerous weather on earth. Washington is a small mountain but it's temperature and wind speed records mean that at times there few places on earth with harsher conditions.
    https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...-extremes.aspx
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

On a more serious note, any thread that mention both Everest and Mount Washington would be incomplete without also mentioning Rick Wilcox.

Check out this recent article!

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/...ievement-award

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    On a more serious note, any thread that mention both Everest and Mount Washington would be incomplete without also mentioning Rick Wilcox.

Check out this recent article!

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/...ievement-award
    Anyone else have problems on this site? For me a pop up menu came up and kept asking me to select allow/not allow the site to use my location. Regardless what answer I selected the selection pop up kept coming back in an endless loop. ugh Had to shut down and restart to be rid of it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wink

Veteran mountaineer Wilcox gets lifetime achievement award

Published Date: Tuesday, 24 March 2015
    By Erik Eisele

CONWAY — Forty years ago, the Vietnam War was ending. The U.S.S.R. dominated Eastern Europe. Gerald Ford was president. Bruce Springsteen released his third album, Born to Run, and Saturday Night Live launched as a new show.

Bill Kane (left) of the N.H. Outdoor Council presents Rick Wilcox with the New Hampshire Search and Rescue Extraordinary Service Award for nearly 40 years of leadership as president of the volunteer Mountain Rescue Service. (ERIK EISELE PHOTO)
    Forty years ago, Rick Wilcox hadn’t summited Everest yet. He didn’t own International Mountain Equipment, hadn’t led dozens of expeditions to the Alps, Africa, South America and Nepal, wasn’t the author of several guidebooks to New England ice and alpine climbing yet.

He wasn’t the elder statesman of the North Conway climbing community yet; he was just another young Mount Washington Valley climber, a mountaineer honing his skills on the local cliffs and ice flows.

But 40 years ago, when the phone rang and a rescue was called, Rick Wilcox went. And last weekend, he was honored.

On Sunday, March 22, officials from the New Hampshire Outdoor Council and the N.H. Fish and Game Department gathered at Cranmore Mountain Resort to present Wilcox with the New Hampshire Search and Rescue Extraordinary Service Award, given to search and rescue community members who display an ongoing standard of dedication, teamwork, professionalism, compassion and leadership.

Wilcox, 67, has served as the president of the North Conway-based volunteer Mountain Rescue Service for just shy of 40 years. In the organization’s history, there has been only one other president, who served the four years before Rick took office.

The organization provides manpower and expertise in environments and terrain beyond the scope of most rescue agencies — from the cliffs of Cathedral, Whitehorse and Cannon ledge to the summits of the Presidential Range in wintertime.

MRS has been involved in over 500 rescues, bolstering state Fish and Game and U.S. Forest Service personnel in the most extreme of circumstances, as in February, when Mountain Rescue Service volunteers took to the flanks of Mount Washington in 100-mph winds and subzero temperatures to search for a lost hiker.

These are conditions few rescue groups are prepared for, but for the close to 40 years Wilcox has helmed the service, MRS members have volunteered.

“When I first heard of this award, Rick was the first person I thought of,” said Bill Kane, a former MRS member and founding member of the New Hampshire Outdoor Council. It was Kane who submitted Wilcox’s name for consideration.

“This award was meant for someone like him,” Kane said. Among climbers, there is often an independent streak, he said, and that can make it hard to organize them. But Wilcox has been able to do just that. There were disagreements, Kane said, but they never hamstrung Mountain Rescue Service.

“Rick just listened and then kept leading,” he said. Forty years, he said, is “just an extraordinary tenure in this business.”

It’s on the cold, windy, raw days — days that most people don't spend outside — that Fish and Game calls Mountain Rescue, said Col. Marty Garabedian of Fish and Game. And on those days, he said, his officers “breathe easier,” knowing Wilcox is responding.

Among the 50 people who came to Zip’s Pub at Cranmore Sunday evening to honor Wilcox, a number were conservation officers, both active and retired. Many of the others were members of the rescue service itself or one of the other regional rescue organizations with which MRS members work.

The audience wasn’t lost on Wilcox.

“It’s a big family here tonight,” he said after Kane and Garabedian presented him with a framed award and showed him the plaque with his name on it.

“When I look at this award,” he said, “it may say my name on it, but it has everybody’s name on it.”
    “It’s been a great 40 years,” he said. “This team has been a big part of my life. I was there when they started in 1971-72.” Individual volunteers may come and go, he said; they might be off for a night or traveling abroad, but “there’s always someone Fish and Game can call.”

The next Mountain Rescue president, however, won’t have the opportunity Wilcox had. “They have put in term limits,” he said. He’s four years into his last six-year limit.

Whoever takes his place, he said, he will support fully.
    But whoever comes next, Kane added, will have big shoes to fill.

Hehe.

Applachian trail is like a green wonderland where everything is safe and fun. You can run for hours with your head swimming in dreams.

Himalayan mountains are the ultimate adrenaline rush. Snow covered crevasses and cornices can collapse at any moment beneath your feet. 100 mph winds can blow you off the mountain. Avalanches can occur several times an hour. Whiteout conditions can keep you from seeing the trail 10 feet away. 1 of every 3 people who have tried to climb Anapurna have died. 3 out of 3 have spent weeks trapped in base camp tents not moving because of bad weather.

And at 29,000 feet, it would not be weird if you collapsed every 20 feet from exhaustion as if you had just sprinted a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Veteran mountaineer Wilcox gets lifetime achievement award

Published Date: Tuesday, 24 March 2015
    By Erik Eisele

CONWAY — Forty years ago, the Vietnam War was ending. The U.S.S.R. dominated Eastern Europe. Gerald Ford was president. Bruce Springsteen released his third album, Born to Run, and Saturday Night Live launched as a new show.

Bill Kane (left) of the N.H. Outdoor Council presents Rick Wilcox with the New Hampshire Search and Rescue Extraordinary Service Award for nearly 40 years of leadership as president of the volunteer Mountain Rescue Service. (ERIK EISELE PHOTO)
    Forty years ago, Rick Wilcox hadn’t summited Everest yet. He didn’t own International Mountain Equipment, hadn’t led dozens of expeditions to the Alps, Africa, South America and Nepal, wasn’t the author of several guidebooks to New England ice and alpine climbing yet.

He wasn’t the elder statesman of the North Conway climbing community yet; he was just another young Mount Washington Valley climber, a mountaineer honing his skills on the local cliffs and ice flows.

But 40 years ago, when the phone rang and a rescue was called, Rick Wilcox went. And last weekend, he was honored.

On Sunday, March 22, officials from the New Hampshire Outdoor Council and the N.H. Fish and Game Department gathered at Cranmore Mountain Resort to present Wilcox with the New Hampshire Search and Rescue Extraordinary Service Award, given to search and rescue community members who display an ongoing standard of dedication, teamwork, professionalism, compassion and leadership.

Wilcox, 67, has served as the president of the North Conway-based volunteer Mountain Rescue Service for just shy of 40 years. In the organization’s history, there has been only one other president, who served the four years before Rick took office.

The organization provides manpower and expertise in environments and terrain beyond the scope of most rescue agencies — from the cliffs of Cathedral, Whitehorse and Cannon ledge to the summits of the Presidential Range in wintertime.

MRS has been involved in over 500 rescues, bolstering state Fish and Game and U.S. Forest Service personnel in the most extreme of circumstances, as in February, when Mountain Rescue Service volunteers took to the flanks of Mount Washington in 100-mph winds and subzero temperatures to search for a lost hiker.

These are conditions few rescue groups are prepared for, but for the close to 40 years Wilcox has helmed the service, MRS members have volunteered.

“When I first heard of this award, Rick was the first person I thought of,” said Bill Kane, a former MRS member and founding member of the New Hampshire Outdoor Council. It was Kane who submitted Wilcox’s name for consideration.

“This award was meant for someone like him,” Kane said. Among climbers, there is often an independent streak, he said, and that can make it hard to organize them. But Wilcox has been able to do just that. There were disagreements, Kane said, but they never hamstrung Mountain Rescue Service.

“Rick just listened and then kept leading,” he said. Forty years, he said, is “just an extraordinary tenure in this business.”

It’s on the cold, windy, raw days — days that most people don't spend outside — that Fish and Game calls Mountain Rescue, said Col. Marty Garabedian of Fish and Game. And on those days, he said, his officers “breathe easier,” knowing Wilcox is responding.

Among the 50 people who came to Zip’s Pub at Cranmore Sunday evening to honor Wilcox, a number were conservation officers, both active and retired. Many of the others were members of the rescue service itself or one of the other regional rescue organizations with which MRS members work.

The audience wasn’t lost on Wilcox.

“It’s a big family here tonight,” he said after Kane and Garabedian presented him with a framed award and showed him the plaque with his name on it.

“When I look at this award,” he said, “it may say my name on it, but it has everybody’s name on it.”
    “It’s been a great 40 years,” he said. “This team has been a big part of my life. I was there when they started in 1971-72.” Individual volunteers may come and go, he said; they might be off for a night or traveling abroad, but “there’s always someone Fish and Game can call.”

The next Mountain Rescue president, however, won’t have the opportunity Wilcox had. “They have put in term limits,” he said. He’s four years into his last six-year limit.

Whoever takes his place, he said, he will support fully.
    But whoever comes next, Kane added, will have big shoes to fill.
    Thanks for posting this. Great guy and a great family, although I have not seen them in quite a few years. Rick's slideshow and talk about his Everest trip was outstanding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++