WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A first section hike with my 11-year-old son

Folks: My son and I have a week in mid-August to make what will be our first section hike on the AT. We were thinking of starting at Harpers Ferry, then heading south, but are open to any and all suggestions.

Should we consider a different section?

Will it be too hot for us?

We'll be driving down there from New Jersey. My son is 11 years old.

Thanks everyone!

Consider HF North and hiking through MD. That is a relatively easier section (none of it is easy in my opinion). I believe MD is ~40 miles. Continue into PA if you have the time. It will be hot but MD water is pretty reliable.

My son and I started section hiking when he was 10. Our first trip we started at Greenbrier State Park in Maryland and hiked SOBO to Harpers Ferry (<30miles). The AT runs right thru the Greenbrier State Park. Ending in HP is convenient because you can leave your car at the Harpers Ferry National Park visitors center. I recommend River and Trail outfitters to shuttle you to Greenbrier. There number is (301)695-5177. Good luck and have fun!

Images

My choice for a first section hike with a pre teen would be Shenandoah National Park, an extra hour drive south of Harpers Ferry. The section of the park I'd do is the Central District, appox. 34 miles.
    Going Northbound is easier so I would leave a car at Thornton Gap parking lot and getting shuttled to Swift Run Gap.

You can both enjoy milkshakes at Big Meadows while eating burgers & fries at the Wayside. A plus is the elevation is a few thousand ft. higher than the HF section making for more bearable temps.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I second johnnybgood's Shenandoah NP recommendation. The trail there is much better maintained than MD (or almost anywhere N of there except ME which is also well maintained but tough hiking), has less rocks, and the opportunity for cheeseburgers at the Waysides may help you in the motivation factor. My son and I did 99 miles from Jarman Gap NOBO to US 522 in 7 days when he had just turned 12. I recognize this is a bit much but at this point we had decided to thru-hike two years later and we we're testing ourselves (plus he wanted to finish in time for his Little League baseball game - hence the 20 miler). You'll also have a chance of seeing a bear there too which could be cool. Our stops were: Blackrock Hut, Pinefield Hut, High Top Hut, Big Meadows (our first ever 20 miler), Pass Mtn, Gravel Springs, Front Royal US 522.

Depending on how much hiking he's done, you definitely need to give him manageable days so a 20 miler is a bit crazy - but you'll know what he can do. Surprise him with food he doesn't think you have on day 3 and watch his face explode in a smile. Use the profile maps to plan your days - all miles are not created equally.

Definitely save Katahdin for your last section; we talked often during our thru-hike about how anticlimactic it would have been had we already done the Big K.

The Whites in NH are stunningly gorgeous but the hiking is very tough; if you go there, plan really short days.

I could also highly recommend the Smokies in NC where, as johnnybgood notes, the altitude will solve your heat problem, but that makes for a longer car trip for you. Plus it takes some added planning as the shelters fill up often and need to be reserved in advance.

Whatever you do, what a great experience for a father-son team. My Dad got me hooked in the Smokies as a kid talking about end-to-enders (as thru-hikers were called then) and I've never lost the love. I enjoyed the view from one of the NC balds so much I bought my retirement home in sight of it so I can drink a beer and toast the AT each night My son and I were out doing trail magic just this past weekend in NC as this year's NOBOs came through - 9 years after our thru-hike - it stays with you!

Thanks everyone for you great suggestions. I only wish we didn't have to wait until August! We plan to meet the rest of the family further south, so I thought a southbound hike would work better. But it sounds like we might have a better intro to the AT heading the opposite direction.

Journal Entries
    Images

It's a great section! Enjoy it! I did it in December, loads of fun!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Why not hike right there in NJ, the trail is surprisingly nice.
    That way you can turn all those driving hours into hiking hours.

Another good choice would be to hike north from Harper's Ferry across Maryland to the Pennsylvania border, where you'll find Penn Mar Park.
    In a week you'll be able to finish a whole state; 1 down and 13 to go.

Images

Mt Rogers area to Damascus...you can find the write up here http://www.hikingupward.com/JNF/MtRo...ysonHighlands/

do it in reverse so you go downhill most of the way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile I'll third it!

One advantage of Shenandoah for a FIRST section hike is that you're never very far from civilization. By not having the pressure of "one mistake could turn this into a disaster," you can easily build confidence for later, more difficult hikes.

I'm fully aware that this fact can be a major disadvantage for more experienced hikers, and can also make it TOO easy to give up. But, for a first timer, I think this plus outweighs the minuses.

I did my first section hike with my son, 14 at the time, from CT/NY border north. Mosquitoes will be the only problem that time of the year but only in certain places. Temps are great, not too hot. Beautiful terrain with lots of variety and frequent spots to camp/stop or even bail into town. Much shorter drive for you. Modest goal would be the MA border ~50 miles or Great Barrington ~65 miles.

Folks: I just wanted to update all of you who were kind enough to pass along your suggestions. My son and did our first section hike earlier this month, and it was an incredible experience for both of us. We started in Pen-Mar Park, near the MD-PA border, then headed south. We finished six days later in Keys Gap, Va., passing through Harpers Ferry. We stayed pretty close to our itinerary, mixing nights in a tent with a few fancier accomodations. Thanks again for your advice. The week has inspired my son and me, and we can't wait to get back out there again ASAP. We'll probably chip away at NJ over a few weekends, then plan another weeklong excursion in the spring. You can be sure I'll be back on the board soon seeking your advice on what makes sense for April!

Quote Originally Posted by njbear View Post
    Folks: I just wanted to update all of you who were kind enough to pass along your suggestions. My son and did our first section hike earlier this month, and it was an incredible experience for both of us. We started in Pen-Mar Park, near the MD-PA border, then headed south. We finished six days later in Keys Gap, Va., passing through Harpers Ferry. We stayed pretty close to our itinerary, mixing nights in a tent with a few fancier accomodations. Thanks again for your advice. The week has inspired my son and me, and we can't wait to get back out there again ASAP. We'll probably chip away at NJ over a few weekends, then plan another weeklong excursion in the spring. You can be sure I'll be back on the board soon seeking your advice on what makes sense for April!
    You just made me smile,
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Awesome! As a father with a 6 year old I am very happy to read this. We are already doing 1 night trips with plans to do our first 2 nighter next year. Glad you had a great trip and glad it appears you have a natural hiker on your hands
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Use this fun section hiker tracker website to mark the sections you have done!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Awesome! As a father with a 6 year old I am very happy to read this. We are already doing 1 night trips with plans to do our first 2 nighter next year. Glad you had a great trip and glad it appears you have a natural hiker on your hands
    Sounds great! I honestly didn't know what to expect once we started, believing there was a good chance we'd end up leaving the trail after a night or two. But he never wavered. A few things I think helped a lot:
    --We ended up doing our two longest hikes on the first day, and on our walk into HF, where we were staying at an inn. Knowing he was capable of a 10-mile hike made the 7- and 8-mile days easier, and knowing a big dinner and an air conditioned room were waiting for us kept him moving, too.
    --When it looked like he was slowing down as the climb steepened, I'd offer to carry his pack for a mile or so. It gave him a burst of energy that allowed up to pick up the pace a bit.
    --The water bladder was key, too. I'm convinced he would've been far-less hydrated without it.

Thanks! This is awesome.

Images

we brought my 12 year old son on his first overnight section in NY over depot hill about a month ago. morgan stewart shelter has a nice set up with a huge fire ring you can walk around. 7.4 miles, so 3.7 in and out with some nice views. there's a water pump, but only complaint is its down a hill a ways. wherever you go, im sure he will have a great time with you!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

++ New Posts ++