WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Knots, your favorites?

Yesterday I saw this link about the "only 5 knots you will need." Not bad:

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...ed-1696628878#

For me, I always go back to a bowline, clove hitch, prusik, Lark's head, two half-hitches, Trucker's hitch, tautline hitch, and midshipman's hitch (for various reasons, the three in bold are those that I use the most).
    I keep a 2-ft section of parachord at my desk and review/practice each maybe once a month. I do the "big 3" with my eyes closed to simulate tying in darkness.

Images

I just recently decided to spend some time learning a few basic knots. For backpacking I have found that the two half hitch, clove hitch and bowline are really all I need and will serve me well. Learning these will definitely make your life on the trail easier.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Clove hitch for PCT hang. Having said this, I am yet to see it tied the way I do. Everyone makes it so complicated with "2 loops crossed and make sure this one is behind that one facing this way....blah, blah, blah". Okay that is not a direct quote. If I can find the way I do it online, I will post it. The standard method is too much of a balancing act for me.

Be back with the edit when I find the animation.

Here it is. Except I do a mirror version of it. My last loop ends up on the right side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s87FuTrdwQ
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-09-2015 at 10:17.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I use the alpine loop a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half Hitch, Figure 8, Bowline, double fishermans, Prusik (really cool), and just the other day learned a new one called Munter Hitch (Its been around for eons - but I've never used it) and Waterman or Water knot - for tying webbing together.

I really want to learn to make "monkey fist" knots, which may be more like a braid - the few I've tried suck.

Journal Entries

prusik and tautline. i wish i knew more knots in general. i depend on these two a lot.

One not mention yet is the Sheet Bend AKA Weaver's Knot, it's a good one to know in case you have to put up an emergency shelter or if a grommet brakes on your tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I keep a 2-ft section of parachord at my desk and review/practice each maybe once a month. I do the "big 3" with my eyes closed to simulate tying in darkness.
    Glad to see I am not alone in playing "Hiking" when I am working.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

I sometimes use a truckers hitch when tying things to the outside of my pack like a foam pad - keeps stuff very taut. Comes in pretty handy when tying most anything to your roof racks.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

I use a few knots almost all the time when hiking: bowline, tautline hitch, clove hitch, figure-8 knot (often as an in-line figure-8 knot; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmvVFhKcyOc), and double half hitch. If I set up a ridgeline for a tarp or clothes line, I'll use a Siberian Hitch on one end (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-xNVIbNVJM) and a trucker's hitch on the other. Keeps the ridgeline very taut & easy to untie.

Sometimes, I'll substitute a slipped angler's knot for a bowline. Easy to untie but still very secure for most applications.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Addition to those good knots already noted: buntline hitch (preferably slipped!)

Images

Constrictor to keep my my bits of line and rope in order. Canadian Jam to compress the crap out of anything from sleeping bags to socks. Jug Sling Hitch on my gatorade water bottle and just to show off.

Quote Originally Posted by xokie View Post
    Constrictor to keep my my bits of line and rope in order. Canadian Jam to compress the crap out of anything from sleeping bags to socks. Jug Sling Hitch on my gatorade water bottle and just to show off.
    I've never heard of either but I'm especially curious about a jug sling hitch. Any info or videos?

Images

I've never heard of either but I'm especially curious about a jug sling hitch. Any info or videos?
    http://korpegard.se/knot/?knot=4&hideComments=&showInt=

http://www.animatedknots.com/constri...matedknots.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ftEVJ_mhI

You can probably look around and find a better illustration of the Jug Sling Hitch. It is difficult but after I practiced a hundred times or so I got to where I could almost always do it in two or three tries.
    Last edited by xokie; 04-09-2015 at 21:09.

Images

My favorite is the sheepshank. Easy to tie, and just seems so unnecessary! Do you really need a special knot to shorten a line?? But that's why it's my favorite. By the way, check out Knots 3D for the iPhone. Great knot app.

Yesterday I saw this link about the "only 5 knots you will need." Not bad:

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...ed-1696628878#

For me, I always go back to a bowline, clove hitch, prusik, Lark's head, two half-hitches, Trucker's hitch, tautline hitch, and midshipman's hitch (for various reasons, the three in bold are those that I use the most).
    Your list is pretty good. I use them all except the midshipman's hitch.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    My favorite is the sheepshank. Easy to tie, and just seems so unnecessary! Do you really need a special knot to shorten a line?? But that's why it's my favorite. By the way, check out Knots 3D for the iPhone. Great knot app.
    Knots 3d is great, and while I have the iPhone version, a friend with an android has an Android version of it.

When I'm learning a new knot, I like to keep a 3 ft or so piece of paracord, and practice it. I keep practicing it until I can tie it without looking at it.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by xokie View Post
    You can probably look around and find a better illustration of the Jug Sling Hitch. It is difficult but after I practiced a hundred times or so I got to where I could almost always do it in two or three tries.
    I know the feeling well. HA!!!!

Journal Entries

I don't know why y'all are so excited about your knots. The picture below is a good example of what I use. Better'n anybody else's knots by far.

I use a knot (hitch?) that I cannot find on the web. I use it for my clothes line. I like knots (hitches) that are easy to create and easy to take apart like the version of the clove hitch I use on my food bag hang listed above. I start at one tree with a clove hitch backed up by a slip knot. At the other tree I wrap the line around the trunk, pull taunt, loop the working end over the standing part, wrap the tree in the opposite direction, and secure over the standing end with another slip knot. This setup is done quickly and taken down quickly. No fiddling to undo tight knots. It is not a safe setup, but good enough for my clothes.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++