Default Some Questions From a Newbie

Hello to all! This is my first post here and I have been reading a lot of the older threads with great interest. However, I would like to get some preliminary guidance because I want to do something a bit different than what others may want to do. I want to do a late half-thru (or a really long 'section hike'? I don't even know what to call it!) in spring/summer 2016.

About me: 35, female, solo. I'm six feet tall and around 220 with PCOS/PCOD. I know I am heavy, but I am also strong and big-framed. I smoke cigarettes. Other than that, I am very healthy. I don't take any medications and my joints are Excellent compared to others my age that I know.

My experience: Starting when I was 23, I got interested in day hikes. Reading around here, I have been 'doing it wrong' for many years. I understand HYOH, but I was wearing nothing but cotton (oops) and carrying a big old bookbag-style Adidas pack with no frame in it. I have gear to buy and other types of clothing to try out, as I had no idea how dumb/unsafe these things are considered. I'm planning to do some shorter overnight trips around my home (I live south of Pittsburgh, PA) with correct gear to get ready, and need all the help I can get.

What I want to do: I have always been something of a leisurely hiker. Going on side trails so I can see and photograph the beautiful sights off to the sides is what I do. While I have covered huge stretches of miles before (my ex-husband and I once pulled off over 50 miles in a weekend), hurrying and pushing isn't my style. I also only hike when it's warm (as in, above freezing). No judgment on anyone else, but hiking through snow isn't even remotely something I've considered or done. For these reasons, I figure a full thru-hike is a bad idea.

So, I want to do a half-thru from Springer Mountain to either Harper's Ferry or somewhere farther north where transportation to Pittsburgh is feasible. I do not drive, so I have to rely on public transpo or ride sharing. I am extremely flexible and free-- I am not constrained by outside responsibilities and, as a freelancer, can stop and start working at my own whims.

Questions:

When should I leave? I know thru-hikers leave in March or April, but that is going to be Way too cold. Frozen water bottles and shoes? Hiking through snow and ice? Mercy, no, not for me. The heat doesn't bother me-- I am quite accustomed to being soaked in sweat, bugspray and being grubby while hiking. When is good? Early June? This is a concern for me. I don't want to freeze, but I also don't want to be SO far behind the pack that I run into resupply problems or similar.

Does anyone else do this? Yes, I know that anything that can be done has been done, but has anyone here done a leisurely half-thru from GA to somewhere around the middle?

How lonely is it going to be? I am a person happy with my own company, but the idea of going days between seeing people in towns makes me nervous. I know the AT is generally safe, but I don't want to be completely isolated.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I am looking for feedback about alternatives I maybe haven't thought of or other issues I haven't considered. It just seems that, no matter where or when I start, I am going to miss the vast majority of people hiking because I want to avoid cold weather. If there is another forum section for long section hikers or half-thrus, I couldn't find it.

Sorry this is so long, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Also sorry if I sound clueless or naive. I am just so excited to find a community of people who like to hike!

You need to be checking the weather reports for Springer Mt. right now. . . it isn't freezing. It is cool at night, but not freezing. (How cold is "too cold" for you?) During the spring and summer, you may hike for a while alone, but not long, and someone will almost always be at the shelters.

Everyone here started out as beginners sometime. I did my first few hikes in jeans and wore cotton T-shirts a while too. Questions aren't stupid. . . not asking them might be, depending on how much trouble you get into by not asking something. ;-)

Hope this helps. Wouldn't wait till June, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    You need to be checking the weather reports for Springer Mt. right now. . . it isn't freezing. It is cool at night, but not freezing. (How cold is "too cold" for you?) During the spring and summer, you may hike for a while alone, but not long, and someone will almost always be at the shelters.

Everyone here started out as beginners sometime. I did my first few hikes in jeans and wore cotton T-shirts a while too. Questions aren't stupid. . . not asking them might be, depending on how much trouble you get into by not asking something. ;-)

Hope this helps. Wouldn't wait till June, BTW.
    Hi, and thanks for the response! Cool at night is fine. I'm more concerned about bad weather in the Smokies. I'd rather sweat than freeze, any day. I have a lot to learn!

I also would rather sweat than freeze, but by mid April, you are not likely to run into too much realllly cold weather. If you did, you'd likely hear about it coming in time to get off the trail. If you start in April or May, you're going to have people to hike around - either passing you, or camping closeby at night. (Provided you want to have someone closeby anyway.) Even though you are probably going to miss most of the thru hikers by then, there are section hikers and day hikers. The AT is like a highway during those months. You won't be alone. Come on down - we're a friendly bunch down here. We'll take care of you. ;-) Also, "resupply problems" are not a problem. We have small towns all along the trail and resupply isn't an issue.

You could hike south from Katadyn and leave in July.

Or leave May 1st and start at Winding Stair Gap. That will put you 100 miles (or 10 to 14 days for most newbie out of shape hikers) north of Springer so you'll catch all of those that started north mid April.

There's nothing magical about Springer mountain...it just happens to be the terminus of the trail. You don't have to start there. There are plenty of other good starting points.

I've considered trying to start somewhere else, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I definitely want nothing to do with the the AT north of PA. I have a cousin in Atlanta who would probably allow me to rest at her place for a few nights post Greyhound bus trip from Pittsburgh. I know there are shuttle services to Springer, but not sure how I would get to another point farther up. I will definitely look into it! Thank you!

Images

Based upon the OP's original post with regards to hiking style, experience, and also reading between the lines a bit, I would have difficulty suggesting starting at Katahdin - or ME or NH in general. It might be better to build up to the toughest part of the AT by starting farther south in May or June, hiking north, and getting some trail experience and "trail hardening" first. A northern half-thru, starting at Delaware Water Gap or even a bit farther north might make for a more enjoyable experience.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingChris View Post
    ...I definitely want nothing to do with the the AT north of PA. ...
    Curious as to why? New England in summer is generally much nicer hiking weather than the high heat and humidity in the south.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Well, keep in mind I am a total newbie at all this and all, but just from what I have read so far and my scant knowledge of New England in general:

It's expensive. Remember, I'm from Pittsburgh, where smokes are $5.15 a pack, a bottle of soda is $1.00 to $1.50, and Dollar General reins supreme. Whenever I've traveled south, prices remained reasonable. I have a cousin in Atlanta and was never bowled over by prices. Her sister and I drove down two summers ago. Not unreasonable at all. Now, to go visit relatives in New Hampshire? Oh man, make your debit card weep. I am but a humble writer sharing house with my cousin (the sister of the one in Atlanta), and I don't have the dough to tarry with New England prices. If I ever want to do a full-thru, I know the northern half is going to hurt my wallet (unless I am wrong and the trail is different than everyday life up there--- this is all my personal experience and reading on the 'net.) We can afford to go south every year or two. We go to New Hampshire once every ten years or so, and the family up there comes down here in between. I have no idea how they afford to eat, let alone live up there.

The idea of being near so many major metros as a backpacker scares me.

Finally, when people post about their full-thrus, the scariest weather, falling-and-hurting-self and general terror stories are about the Whites. I am not that hardcore yet. Maybe someday, but not anywhere near, yet.

So, I'm probably wrong, but it just seems to me, from reading, that the northern half is crunchtime and for the hardcore and for those who have money. I'm intimidated by it. The southern half, while arduous physically, seems less likely to kill or maim me!

Images

Fair enough It is tougher hiking once you are into NH and ME, and a bit more expensive - but mostly due to stays in motels (there are fewer hostels) which are more expensive than in the south, and AMC hut prices in the Whites, if one chooses to use them, are expensive. But honestly, there aren't any "metro areas" near the AT in New England once you are past the NY/CT border. If anything it's more remote than the southern AT, and the towns the AT does go through or near are farther apart and smaller than most of the south. Small food purchases, the type you make while hiking, are comparatively expensive anywhere. FWIW, smokes are about $6 - 7$/pack in NH, soda is the same as anywhere else. But on that note . . . REALLY - you're going to factor cigarette prices into where to go on vacation? From one smoker to another, that's perhaps the silliest excuse I've ever heard.

EDIT: I understand the "comfort level" thing. So go with what you are comfortable with. But don't believe a lot of the over-hyped stuff you hear about the AT in New England. Last time I was up above treeline in NH there were 100's of other people of every age, shape, etc., who made it up there with decrepit old me.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 04-10-2015 at 10:39.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingChris View Post
    Well, keep in mind I am a total newbie at all this and all, but just from what I have read so far and my scant knowledge of New England in general:

It's expensive. Remember, I'm from Pittsburgh, where smokes are $5.15 a pack, a bottle of soda is $1.00 to $1.50, and Dollar General reins supreme. Whenever I've traveled south, prices remained reasonable. I have a cousin in Atlanta and was never bowled over by prices. Her sister and I drove down two summers ago. Not unreasonable at all. Now, to go visit relatives in New Hampshire? Oh man, make your debit card weep. I am but a humble writer sharing house with my cousin (the sister of the one in Atlanta), and I don't have the dough to tarry with New England prices. If I ever want to do a full-thru, I know the northern half is going to hurt my wallet (unless I am wrong and the trail is different than everyday life up there--- this is all my personal experience and reading on the 'net.) We can afford to go south every year or two. We go to New Hampshire once every ten years or so, and the family up there comes down here in between. I have no idea how they afford to eat, let alone live up there.

The idea of being near so many major metros as a backpacker scares me.

Finally, when people post about their full-thrus, the scariest weather, falling-and-hurting-self and general terror stories are about the Whites. I am not that hardcore yet. Maybe someday, but not anywhere near, yet.

So, I'm probably wrong, but it just seems to me, from reading, that the northern half is crunchtime and for the hardcore and for those who have money. I'm intimidated by it. The southern half, while arduous physically, seems less likely to kill or maim me!
    Walking Chris, Yes, I would say that many of your fears are overblown. But, anything I say here is not going to change that. So I would just suggest you get out there. Start your section hikes in an area you are comfortable with. With experience you will grow in confidence.

New England is beautiful and somewhat expensive and I hope you get to enjoy it someday.

It's just one factor off the top of my head. It just seems like the closer we got, the more everything cost. To an almost-staggering degree (and our last northern trek was a four years ago). I figure if I like the half-thru in 2016, I could do a full-thru the next year. I have unlimited time and no real responsibilities, the sky is the limit!

Starting in the south on May 1, you are not likely to get much really bad weather. Snow is still possible in the southern Mountains until the middle of the month, but it won't last more than a day or two. Or start at Duncannon and head south and you definitely won't have a problem with snow. May and June in the south is gorgeous, with all the wildflowers, azalea, rhododendron, etc.

Once you have been on the trail for a couple of weeks, you'll be amazed at how knowledgeable and at home you feel. It isn't rocket science, and if you don't have the perfect gear it really doesn't matter. When I thruhiked, I wore cotton. I had a pack that was way too big and heavy. I had heavy boots that gave me blisters. It didn't matter. It's what's in your head that determines what kind of hike you'll have. Gear just makes it a little more or less comfortable. You also get used to adapting to the weather conditions. Cold doesn't matter if you have a warm sleeping bag. Wet is bearable with a good rain jacket. You get used to the heat and learn to avoid the hottest time of the day.

Re money - as you get more experience, you'll find you need to stay in town less often. Doing quick in and outs to buy food and eat a meal works without needing to get a motel or hostel. If you can quit smoking before your hike, that will help a lot in terms of having money available. You can also send yourself maildrops. Buy in bulk at home, then when you're on the trail, the cash you're carrying will be for extra treats, not to keep you going. I met two very low budget hikers on the CDT who had exactly $25 per town to spend on either beer, cigarettes or food. When they were lucky, locals would buy them the beer and the food. They would camp in town or just outside. It worked for them. And the western trails are a lot more expensive than the AT.

Images

Take Amtrak to Gainesville,GA, get a shuttle to the trail.(I have used Ron Brown in the past) I am starting mid-May. Walk to Harpers Ferry, take Amtrak back to Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Starting in the south on May 1, you are not likely to get much really bad weather. Snow is still possible in the southern Mountains until the middle of the month, but it won't last more than a day or two. Or start at Duncannon and head south and you definitely won't have a problem with snow. May and June in the south is gorgeous, with all the wildflowers, azalea, rhododendron, etc.

Once you have been on the trail for a couple of weeks, you'll be amazed at how knowledgeable and at home you feel. It isn't rocket science, and if you don't have the perfect gear it really doesn't matter. When I thruhiked, I wore cotton. I had a pack that was way too big and heavy. I had heavy boots that gave me blisters. It didn't matter. It's what's in your head that determines what kind of hike you'll have. Gear just makes it a little more or less comfortable. You also get used to adapting to the weather conditions. Cold doesn't matter if you have a warm sleeping bag. Wet is bearable with a good rain jacket. You get used to the heat and learn to avoid the hottest time of the day.

Re money - as you get more experience, you'll find you need to stay in town less often. Doing quick in and outs to buy food and eat a meal works without needing to get a motel or hostel. If you can quit smoking before your hike, that will help a lot in terms of having money available. You can also send yourself maildrops. Buy in bulk at home, then when you're on the trail, the cash you're carrying will be for extra treats, not to keep you going. I met two very low budget hikers on the CDT who had exactly $25 per town to spend on either beer, cigarettes or food. When they were lucky, locals would buy them the beer and the food. They would camp in town or just outside. It worked for them. And the western trails are a lot more expensive than the AT.
    This all makes sense to me, and I appreciate all the replies!

I figured it isn't rocket science, but I admit I've never done anything like this before. I have done some pretty independent things before, though, so I figure that if teens fresh out of high school and the elderly can do it, surely I can do half of it! And if I can't, there's my good buddy Greyhound to help me home.

As for money, I figure I will have about 2k in the bank after gear. I live a very low-income life now as it is, so I can't see myself spending a ton on the trail. Just some smokes, food, pay for a shower, and be on my way from towns. I don't drink at all, I never got the taste for it. I figure two grand ought to do me until at least Harper's. If not, I need to find a library and hitch/shuttle/hike to the nearest Grey Dog station. I am doing 2016 as a sort-of 'feeler run'. If I love it, I'll return and go the whole way the next year with more money in my pocket. Just reading here, it's amazing to hear other people talking about loving hiking like I do. I think I'll like it.

The thing to do is get some basic summer gear and start doing weekend hiking trips. Work up to a whole week trip if you can swing the time. I see your in the SW corner of PA, but there must be some overnight hiking opportunities with in a reasonable driving distance. Going out as much as possible this summer gets you the experience you need and learn if this really is something you want to tackle.

As a former smoker, I would recommend switching to pipe tobacco and using a pipe. 1) It's much less expensive and 2) fewer people object to pipe smoke as cigarette smoke. Sure, as a woman you'll get some odd looks, but what the heck? It really beats the other alternative of rolling tobacco.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The thing to do is get some basic summer gear and start doing weekend hiking trips. Work up to a whole week trip if you can swing the time. I see your in the SW corner of PA, but there must be some overnight hiking opportunities with in a reasonable driving distance. Going out as much as possible this summer gets you the experience you need and learn if this really is something you want to tackle.

As a former smoker, I would recommend switching to pipe tobacco and using a pipe. 1) It's much less expensive and 2) fewer people object to pipe smoke as cigarette smoke. Sure, as a woman you'll get some odd looks, but what the heck? It really beats the other alternative of rolling tobacco.

I am still researching the area around here. To be honest with you, and this sounds so dumb, I always assumed 'sleeping out' was illegal unless you went to a campground. I live near a ton of parks, way out in the sticks, but there are signs on the trails saying 'no camping!' in OhioPyle, Cedar Creek, Round Hill, etc. Now that I see other people do this, I am looking into it more. Surely there is Somewhere. But, I also don't drive. Will have to coordinate rides. If I can't, I can always go WAY out into the sticks and visit my mother. Hike in her woods and tent out in her backyard for awhile, as practice.

As for smoking, I home-roll with pipe tobacco and tubes at home, but I figured I'd be stuck smoking Marlboros on the trail. Or maybe I could learn to roll with papers instead of tubes. Not sure. I wouldn't be opposed to a pipe, but I would be afraid of people thinking I'm smoking the wildwood weed. LOL

The Laurel Highlands trail is not far from you. That is a nice one. In a lot of ways it feels like the AT with shelters and camping areas. It requires reservations to stay at the shelters though. John Saylor and Lost Turkey are near Johnstown. Quebec Run and Warrier Run are south of Pittsburgh. Rachel Carson is just north of Pittsburgh. If there are any hiking or trail maintaining clubs in your area, you might be able to get transportation.

Hi Sandy,

I live near you in Harrison city. Looking to start section hiking the AT. I am interested in talking more with you about using amtrack and getting suggestions from a hiker that lives in the burgh.

++ New Posts ++