WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was snowed on with several inches on a Sept 19th one year (was 17f) so I'd prefer rain pants. Bugs aren't s problem in Sept.
    ATT had coverage at Lake Edison by the shore (but not in VVR itself) Verizon worked on Mt Whitney. Both worked at Tuolumne Meadows.

Who makes good lt wt rain pants? I guess could test the great REI return policy....return after trip....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is if I don't use them...

Sunscreen now...
    or
    ...liquid nitrogen spray and/or slice and dice later.
    Not using sunscreen at altitude falls into the category of "Stupid Light".
    Your choice.
    Spoken from experience with multiple liquid nitrogen spray and slice & dice events.
    Good luck.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Sunscreen now...
    or
    ...liquid nitrogen spray and/or slice and dice later.
    Your choice.
    Spoken from experience with multiple liquid nitrogen spray and slice & dice events.
    Good luck.

Wayne
    Yep...my wife is always on my arse about using it....we live at the beach...I'll prob take a lil zinc.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Your choice.
    Good luck.

Wayne
    Ridiculous
    Use protective clothing and a big hat, you dont need sunscreen at all
    It kills species in the water there that are extremely sensitive to it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ridiculous
    Use protective clothing and a big hat, you dont need sunscreen at all
    It kills species in the water there that are extremely sensitive to it.
    Not sure when all this anti-sunscreen hyperbole started, but unless you want to be totally covered, including gloves and a face mask, the entire time, take a bit of sunscreen. I find an ounce lasts me about two weeks, just a dab on the backs of my legs, hands and neck allows one to wear shorts, not wear gloves, and protects that little v-shaped area where I unzip my zip-neck top. The UV, obviously, is intense at altitude, and on a partly cloudy day, even the reflection of bright sun off clouds can create a diffuse field of intense UV that comes from lower angles that can fry your uncovered face, even with a big floppy hat. The good news is that this is quite reduced by mid-September, but still around.

I won't diverge from the original thread anymore than to say according to a pediatrician hiking friend of mine, there has been a weird resurgence of rickets in kids in the US in the last 10 years or so, and one theory is the lack of Vitamin D, which of course is created in the skin from sunlight. Parents are sending their kids out dressed like Arabs in the desert, completely covered, apparently. We all need vitamin D, and to me that means some sun, hence why I use only SPF30 in the spring & summer and SPF 15 in the fall, and again, just on those critical areas.

Take a bit of sunscreen, use it sparingly, at least if you are a pasty-white as I am.

I'm not a big sun block wearer in Fl, mainly long sleeve exofficio sun shirt with hat but realize at altitude it's more intense....had the raccoon eyes from ski goggles more than once. As muddy said I realize there are very sensitive creatures in the alpine lakes and streams. Are there any Enviro sensitive sunblocks that work? I might bring a lil bit for face, neck and back of hands...cant imagine sleeping with it caked on....like bug spray...I guess could fill the bear can with water and dr b take a sponge bath so doesn't get into water......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Are there any Enviro sensitive sunblocks that work?
    This would be a great thing to research. I'm going to surf around a bit. My first thoughts are that a zinc-based product would be better than some, but just a guess.

FWIW: Most sunscreen evaporates off the body, if you wash hands in a stream right after putting it on, that's one thing. If you wash up in the afternoon once 95% of the sunscreen has evaporated, I would imagine only the tiniest traces of product getting into any water. But the bear-can thing or something similar would eliminate even that.

Journal Entries

Are there any Enviro sensitive sunblocks that work?

http://www.harmonizedwater.com/UVProtection.aspx

Try it and report back

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    sorry, with due respect, that is just modern snake oil. Be careful, SS.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Not sure when all this anti-sunscreen hyperbole started, but unless you want to be totally covered, including gloves and a face mask, the entire time, take a bit of sunscreen. I find an ounce lasts me about two weeks, just a dab on the backs of my legs, hands and neck allows one to wear shorts, not wear gloves, and protects that little v-shaped area where I unzip my zip-neck top. The UV, obviously, is intense at altitude, and on a partly cloudy day, even the reflection of bright sun off clouds can create a diffuse field of intense UV that comes from lower angles that can fry your uncovered face, even with a big floppy hat. The good news is that this is quite reduced by mid-September, but still around.

I won't diverge from the original thread anymore than to say according to a pediatrician hiking friend of mine, there has been a weird resurgence of rickets in kids in the US in the last 10 years or so, and one theory is the lack of Vitamin D, which of course is created in the skin from sunlight. Parents are sending their kids out dressed like Arabs in the desert, completely covered, apparently. We all need vitamin D, and to me that means some sun, hence why I use only SPF30 in the spring & summer and SPF 15 in the fall, and again, just on those critical areas.

Take a bit of sunscreen, use it sparingly, at least if you are a pasty-white as I am.
    I agree. I'm about as white as they come. I burn when it's overcast..walking to my car. Sun protective clothing definitely is better than sunblock, but I still carry 0.5oz of some quality sunscreen. I'll use it sparingly where it's needed.

The following are items I seldom carry for my southern AT section hikes...(Va-Ga). Trying to stay light as I'm on a tight schedule....do I need these?

Bug spray
    Bug net
    Sun block( will be wearing a long sleeve shirt, hat and buff)
    Extra fuel can..(mtr-whitney) 7 day..cook kit contains SP 600 to pot/mug, SP lite max stove mini bic...plan to boil (1x)2 cups in morning for coffee and (1-2x)2-3 cups in evening for dinner and tea/coffee. I'm thinking about bringing a few esbit tabs and one can of fuel. Can use esbit w rocks as pot stand if needed..also as emergency fire starter.
    Rain pants vs rain wrap.....no it's not a skirt!...always carry on AT as I sweat out to fast in rain paints especially dri Ducks!!!
    Sit pad...cut down zlite pad(my dogs bed also)...always carry....
    Extra pair under armor compression underwear...since wearing shorts I'm thinking about getting a pair in full length to keep legs lil warmer. I usually wear shorts if weather is forecasted above freezing..I could rotate and swim in as I'm not bringing baggies..
    Gaiters....never used before but seems most wear on JMT...dirty girl are recommended?
    Trowel...is ground to hard to use tent stake or trekking pole?

Trying to limit stuff that don't really need as trying to keep dry pack under 12lbs w empty BV450 or 500..

Thx for all the advice

My $0.02 worth from my 2004 JMT thru-hike & my 2012 Lake Tahoe to Tuolumne Meadows hike:
    Bug protection: Not needed for Sept hike; maybe an occasional mosquito wearing a parka may bother you
    Sunblock: I'd bring it; pretty intense sun when you're above timberline; even w/ a wide-brim hat, your face w/ get a lot of sun; so will the back of your hands (if you use hiking poles); use sunscreen now or you'll be seeing your skin doctor frequently when you're older (like me)
    One can of fuel w/ Espit backup: might be able to make it thru... might not; a more fuel efficient system (but heavier) such as a JetBoil or MSR Reactor would easily work w/ one canister; another possibility would be the Soto Windmaster stove - more fuel efficient that regular canister stoves; anyway, one regular canister w/ a smaller one might be the ticket w/ your current setup.
    Rain pants: I'd say 'yes' for warmth.
    Sit pad: I'd say 'yes' for this luxury item; something to put down on cold &/or wet ground on breaks & while in camp.
    Underwear: Personal preference item here; I use lined running shorts as my underwear (2 pair on most hikes; 3 pair if I'm expecting a lot of rain)
    Gaiters: Always used them; used Dirty Girl Gaiters the last couple of years; really like them!
    Trowel: I'd take one (or use a snow/sand stake); QiWiz makes a nice titanium trowel that I love; uber-light; assuming you're SoBo; you'll have to pick up a poop bag @ Crabtree meadows for your last day (summit & down).
    Phone service: Didn't carry one in 2004; did borrow a phone atop Whitney to make a call; only Verizon had service among the multitude of different phone carriers; the Verizon guy loaned out his phone to a bunch of people; unsure how the coverage issues have changed since then.

Enjoy your hike!! Ansel Adams moments everywhere.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++