WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Music about the AT or places on the AT

I suppose there is bound to be music about the AT or places along the trail. I know "Shenandoah", of course. Are there others?

Images
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Listen to Larry Keel - many consider him to be the greatest living flat-picker

lots of good stuff out there. Robert Earl Keen, Acoustic Syndicate... Southern Appalachian bluegrass is the source.

Images

I have always tended to associate these two songs with the AT --

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Prior to becoming a rock-star, Jerry Garcia was an acclaimed banjo player in the Bay Area of CA. On a whim, he decided he was going to join Doc Watson's band. He hopped in a car with a buddy and drove all the way to the NC to find and meet Doc Watson. Eventually, he ended up at a wedding where Doc Watson was playing and stood across the room, watching, listening, and realizing how silly his plan was. What was he going to do, walk up to the Doc and say, "I'm your new banjo player." ?

Realizing they wouldn't be joining Doc's band, they acquired back seat full of reel-to-reels analogs of classic bluegrass and old-timey standards, hit Route 66 and drove all the way back to Cali. Although the initial plan had been scrapped, the treasure-trove of bluegrass was a fine consolation prize. While not often performed with the Grateful Dead, Jerry's side projects and solo recordings all bear the hallmark of this genre of inspiration.

"Upon the Blue Ridge Mountain,
    that's where I'll take my stand..."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Check out the Okee Dokee brothers, they produced an entire album inspired the the A.T. And the local people that they met.

http://www.okeedokee.org/music/
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Not much. I've missed some southern fiddle performances by a day or two. Never in the right place/right time.
    You'll find some on a whim. We heard a beautiful Celtic flute tune coming through the trees near a shelter in Maine. That's probably the most memorable.

Garlic
    Images

Walkin' Jim Stoltz, rest his soul, had a song about the AT on his "Long Trails" album.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Add "New Virginia" Old Crow Medicine Show to the above Old Crow Songs.

Also, don't forget the most played AT Song of all..... waiting...waiting....ready? "Rocky Top"!

It's good to be a Tennessee Vols!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    "Rocky Top"!
    +1, have the Osborne Brothers version on my phone

Hard for many of us to listen to the first 8 words of Hungry Heart without thinking about the AT.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

e[QUOTE=couscous;1963330]+1, have the Osborne Brothers version on my phone

That's the only version I own other than the actual Tn Marching Band Version. Osborne Brothers does make it more AT Feel vs. a Fight Song feel.

What's another Buckeye doing with the Vols Song on his Phone! lol I woulld have it too, but I am partial to Thunderstruck to go along with gbolt.

So I don't side track the thread, I would also suggest Blue Ridge Mountain by Alan Jackson.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Last June at Grayson Highlands we took in the annual Wayne C. Henderson Music Festival, a pretty big deal in those parts with some of the finest flat pickers doin their thang there at the amphitheater. Most of the music had an Appalachian air. Vince Gill did an acoustic set, too - no fancy fgets' ork, just him strummin' and singin'. Check out the Crooked Road Festival, lots of music in Virginia. We went to several small venues in SW VA and really enjoyed it.

Journal Entries
    Images

You ask for music of the Appalachian Trail? Takoma Tedd has quite a few songs out and he is currently in for the summer here in Damascus. Here is a link to his site........http://takomatedd.com/

He even has a song bout Miss Jane I believe....

His album "Songs Of The Blue Ridge Runner" are songs he put together from Earl Shaffer's writings........

Smokey Mountain Rain by Ronnie Milsap.

I heard this Old Crow Medicine Show song when driving near Lake Watauga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgLDdKr8fCs

My hometown is a half mile down... (warning, if you subsequently hike near Lake Watauga, you WILL have this song going through your head...)
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

They have live bluegrass in Marion Va on Sat nites. Also, there was live music in the Blue Blaze in Damascus when I went thru there. Heard live music in the Iron Horse Inn in Hot Springs.

Record store days This Saturday 4/18/15

if your hiking, type in the zipcode or your location to see who is participating, often they will have events, bands, give-a-ways, and selling limited edition releases...it's a good time.

http://recordstoreday.com/Home

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get to the AT one day.

Nice to see someone appreciating Walkin' Jim. I have several of his CDs, and his book "Walking With the Wild Wind" inspired me to start section hiking. I never met him, unfortunately, but he seemed pretty special.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++