Default springer to Helen in july

Anyone want to join up for a 5 day hike sometime in July from springer to Helen? I am newbie and want to test out some gear.

Don't know if anyone else has contacted you yet, but we could probably spend a day/overnight/day with you at some point on the trail if you'd like. We have done Springer, the BMT to a mile or so past Long Creek falls, and the AT a little past that, I'm sure by July we will have gone much further, we are trying to get out there every weekend but Christy has a sun allergy and we need to take it easy, especially with the strength of the sun coming on.

Just let us know, even if you find a partner for the full trek it might be fun to cross paths.

Great, I am still checking dates with work and my ride. I will let you know when I figure out exactly when I am going.

It might end up during the time when our daughter is away with family so we could possibly hang out longer, we have been wanting to do more than an overnight, but like I said, the sun kind of decides that for us.

=

I'd love to! Inbox me!

Journal Entries

Im also a new and would love to join you. When in July are your traveling?

I am thinking mid July. 17, 18, 19, or 20 as a start date.

Journal Entries

That may be tough for me. But Anything is possible. I'll know better in early July. I'll be in FL at the end of June, so maybe we can get together and chat about the trip. Let me know if you're interested.

Ok, sounds good.

Just got my tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag.

Journal Entries

What did you end up getting?

Journal Entries

If your new to hiking your goal may be a little ambitious for 5 days. If you start with the approach trail you'll be doing about 58 miles. Many hikers need a zero day by the time they get to Neels gap.

I am not doing the approach trail.

I got zpacks 10 degree sleeping bag, therm a rest neoair xtherm pad, big anges fly creek ul 1 tent.

I hope you are not using the 10 degree bag on this trip??
    Quote Originally Posted by firegirl130065 View Post
    I am not doing the approach trail.

I got zpacks 10 degree sleeping bag, therm a rest neoair xtherm pad, big anges fly creek ul 1 tent.

Maybe, I am used to hot and don't want to buy more then one, I can always just lay on it. I am from Florida hot is hot

I will give it a whirl here and see. The weather should be comparable.

I was just thinking lightning storm are probably nightly during this time. Are the shelters safe to be in?

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got back from a 5 day trip on the AT. We did the approach trail. You are smart for not doing it. It kicked our butts. We made it to Woody Gap doing the approach trail in five days. We did have a 12 year old with us though. Are you new to hiking? The trail elevation ups and downs are hard if you are not used to them. The shelters are pretty safe, if you don't mind mice running on you at night. We tent camped and so did most other hikers at the shelters. How heavy will your pack be?

I am still buying my gear. Trip to rei next week should almost finish me up.

Journal Entries

I had a Fly Creek 2. I did a weekend in the Smokies last month and had someone stay in the tent with me and it was way too small. So I traded it in on a Copper Spur 3. I love the room (i like to spread out) and don't mind sacrificing something else for the weight. Im hoping to get my husband out with me in the future. Also got a JetBoil Mini. The pot size is nice and the hard handles on the side make it much easier (for me) to pick up. Been doing some day hikes here in the Blue Ridge lately with a bunch of great ladies (Happy Hikers) from the Natural Bridge ATC. Heading to FL this weekend for a couple weeks.

++ New Posts ++