WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Please Recommend Kids Backpacks

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read (and respond to) this post.

My kids, 6 and 8, and I just completed a 6 day backpacking trip. This was their first hike lasting more than 2 days. They each used LLBean school backpacks (approx. 30 litres or so, no hip belt, all the weight must have been on their shoulders) which were big enough to fit their sleeping bags, sleeping pads and a few articles of clothing. They did complain about some shoulder and back discomfort at times but a lot less than I had thought they would (I was ready to take on their gear).

The trip seems to have been a success as they are now ready to do some more multi-day backpacking. They are interested in getting a pack like mine. Some searching reveals that there do not seem to be many choices.
    My first thought is the REI Passage 38. It seems like it would fit them for a few years as they can grow into it as it is adjustable. Also, the price on the Passage 38 is cheaper than most other packs that I have seen which is an important consideration of ours. It is not too big (I can't imagine them using something with much more capacity given their size, especially my youngest) which I think would be good for their smaller bodies.
    Any thoughts? Any other considerations I should be thinking about. I do have a local REI I can check out.
    Thank you.

I went with the REI small backpacks... starting with the sprig and tarn. The kids love them and it prevents them from carrying too much gear. Also hydro compatible so they have the "cool factor"

I am having a similar problem with a 10 yo. His spine is too short for the smallest adult packs but, he is weeks away from a hormonal surge and 6 inch growth spurt. I am considering the ULA Circuit with kids' adjustable range torso size. It is more than I'd like to spend but, at least he will get a few years use out of it.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

Good Luck

It's tough to find packs for kids that transfer weight to the hips. My daughter has tried a Deuter Fox 30 and a ULA Curcuit (Kids version). The ULA fits better - mainly because we can get the belt tight enough. It also holds a bit more and weights a lot less (though I limit her pack weight to about 9-10 pounds). Her synthetic winter bag pretty much fills the entire Deuter Fox pack on its own.

Pretty much nothing fit her when she was 6 though. She just carried a day pack with very little in it.

Kudos to you for getting your kids out there, especially on a 6 day trip! I'm impressed!

I got a ULA CDT for my oldest son when he was 11. He could carry up to 20 before he outgrew the torso size. Now my youngest son uses it until he is ready for a larger torso.

That ULA circuit looks like a really nice pack. I would have gotten that for them if it was available then.

My kids used older model REI packs without complaint for years. When they grew, we stopped off at the store for readjustment. Not ultralight, but sturdy.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

We love (and so does our daughter) the osprey jib

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

One of the best things is to simply take them to an outfitter or two and see what fits them well.

When my oldest started hiking with me at age 7, the thing we found at a local outfitter that worked was the Granite Gear Vapor Day Ki - a 32 liter woman's day pack with hip belt.
    While this particular pack is no longer manufactured, I use it to point out that you might find something other than a "kids pack" that will work.

And just because it's listed as a 'kids' pack, make sure you still pay attention to the weight of the empty pack. There are some kids packs out there that weight 4 lbs empty. What I've read is that you should limit a pack weight to no more than 20% of a person's body weight. That means if you are trying to hike with a 50lbs child, a 4lbs pack already weights 40% of your total limit.

One pack I would suggest you try to look at (perhaps for the 8yo) is the REI Flash 45. It weights only 2lbs with a 45L capacity for the medium size.

Again, not something to specifically recommend to you, my most recent purchase was the REI Flash 52. This is a woman's pack that my 12yo is currently using. The point being... don't limit yourself to 'kids' packs.

I just got my 8 year old daughter a Deuter Fox 40. She tried on the REI Passage 38 and it sat way too high on her, towering over her head raising her center of gravity. The Deuter fit so much better and had more room for her to grow torso wise. She also liked the suspension better. She carried around 15 pounds while I stopped for an hour with no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    One of the best things is to simply take them to an outfitter or two and see what fits them well.

When my oldest started hiking with me at age 7, the thing we found at a local outfitter that worked was the Granite Gear Vapor Day Ki - a 32 liter woman's day pack with hip belt.
    While this particular pack is no longer manufactured, I use it to point out that you might find something other than a "kids pack" that will work.

And just because it's listed as a 'kids' pack, make sure you still pay attention to the weight of the empty pack. There are some kids packs out there that weight 4 lbs empty. What I've read is that you should limit a pack weight to no more than 20% of a person's body weight. That means if you are trying to hike with a 50lbs child, a 4lbs pack already weights 40% of your total limit.

One pack I would suggest you try to look at (perhaps for the 8yo) is the REI Flash 45. It weights only 2lbs with a 45L capacity for the medium size.

Again, not something to specifically recommend to you, my most recent purchase was the REI Flash 52. This is a woman's pack that my 12yo is currently using. The point being... don't limit yourself to 'kids' packs.
    Check your math. 40% of 50 lbs = 20 lbs. 20% (which is very conservative) is 10 lbs. Also remember that kids can be tough on gear, the lightest materials won't last.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Thank you all who have taken the time to read and respond. I greatly appreciate all the good advice everyone has offered. I am going to take the time to research all the recommendations (including the smaller adult/woman sized packs) to see what might give my kids the best experience they can get. Your help is greatly appreciated.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Check your math. 40% of 50 lbs = 20 lbs. 20% (which is very conservative) is 10 lbs. Also remember that kids can be tough on gear, the lightest materials won't last.
    For what I was trying to say, my math was correct... but let me try to make what I was trying to say be a little more clear:
    For a 50lbs child, you should limit their total pack weight to 10lbs (20% of their body weight).
    If you buy a 4lbs pack, that's 40% of the 10lbs limit before you've added the first piece of gear.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a 4lbs pack to haul 6lbs of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    He did it right. His point was that 4 lbs was 40% of the total she could carry. He was saying that 4 lbs is 40% of the 10 lbs (20% of body weight) that she could carry.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I got my ten year old a osprey 35 liter youth pack cant remember the name. It comes in red and grey. It has been great, he has had it for two trips now. It rides great. My twelve year old has a boyscout pack that im going to change out next season to an osprey. They carry their clothes, sleeping bag and pad and water. I carry everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpcamper75 View Post
    I got my ten year old a osprey 35 liter youth pack cant remember the name. It comes in red and grey. It has been great, he has had it for two trips now. It rides great. My twelve year old has a boyscout pack that im going to change out next season to an osprey. They carry their clothes, sleeping bag and pad and water. I carry everything else.
    Perhaps you are speaking of the Osprey Jib. I have checked that one out and is one of the ones I am still considering. My kids also pretty much carry the same stuff, minus the water. Thank you.

Default Please Recommend Kids Backpacks

Both my kids started using the Dueter Fox 30 for week long AT section hikes at about the same ages as your kids. I used a Granite Gear compression sack for their bulkier sleeping bags and once compressed could fit it length wise across the pack without a problem.

Since they have outgrown the packs I have been considering selling both of them for a reasonable price so someone else can enjoy hiking with their kids. Both packs are in good condition.

If interested PM/IM me.

++ New Posts ++