WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm looking for a button up hiking shirt!

So I've been recently hiking in a nylon button up and like it very much. I think hiking in this as my primary hiking shirt would prove to be very versatile to me. I'm fair skinned so I really do enjoy the UPF protection and the coverage of long sleeves and a sun collar. I hiked in a Columbia silver ridge shirt and found it no hotter than my typical synthetic athletic t-shirt. I'm now a believer and convert. I also like more of the features of these kinds of shirts. I like the full button up for ventilation, the fact I can roll the sleeves up or down, chest pockets (outstanding feature), and sun collar. Furthermore, it's nice to be traveling with a technical shirt that doesn't look so "technical".

So I'm looking for a techincal long sleeve button down that'll fit some criteria for me.

- It needs to be for hot/sun use. Vents are huge plus. Lightweight and UPF protected. This IS my hiking shirt. The more it breaths the better.
    - It needs to have sun collar. I think it's agreeable that any of these shirts that are made for hot/sun use will have a sun collar.
    - It needs to have a front chest pocket or two. I prefer low key pockets. The one's on the Exofficio Air Strip shirts are ridiculously large.

Most importantly

- I would like a straight hem and not a baggy or relaxed fit. The biggest thing I dislike about my columbia shirt is the fit and hem. It's rather baggy, and has a long hem which goes to my thighs when untucked. I'm going to be mainly keeping the shirt untucked so I would like somthing a little more casual. Something that looks good tucked in or out. On top of that, something that doesn't have a relaxed fit. I don't like the fact I'm swimming in my columbia. And I tried sizing down.

So far I've only handled (in person) my Columbia Silver Ridge and most of Exofficio's offerings. They both had all the features I was looking for, however both just don't suit my in the fit department.

I've looked into railriders but cannot find much about their products off their website. I think their Men's Bone Flats Shirt might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Any input on options you guys have handled or are using would be great!

Maybe this? http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/82305...rt-long-sleeve
    If you don't like it after trying it you can return it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If you don't like Ex Officico, I can't help you. I think they are ideal.

I have one of these that I use for a l/s hiking shirt and I'm very pleased with its performance.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/columb...6tyhoCWtHw_wcB

Images

Check out your local thrift shop. Some of the Hawaiian Aloha styled shirts are just the ticket for backpacking. Cheap and stylish too.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

No particular recommendations, but make sure it's nylon, not polyester. Nylon is much more comfortable and doesn't hole the stink like poly does. Last year when I was shopping for the same thing, almost every single one was poly. I even ordered one online because it said nylon. When I got the shirt, it was poly - I returned it and demanded my shipping be refunded because of false advertising, and I was going to contact the state attorney general if they didn't. I finally found one - Columbia, it's a little bit heavier than I wanted, but it's a good shirt.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...hirt?p=54258-1

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...hirt?p=52195-1

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...tion?p=52180-1

All of the above are on sale, although the fabric guru may be right about the poly long term. For your JMT hike (and even some eastern stuff) the bit of cotton in some of the blends might be a plus.

Not on sale- but keeps everyone happy on the Nylon content- UPF 40
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...hirt?p=52320-0

Never owned a rail riders personally- but most at BPL had good things to say.

You won't get the UPF rating- but a cheap nylon dress shirt makes a decent sunshirt too.

Otherwise Columbia has a "fishing" line of shirts that would have the back vent and such.

YMMV but with a pack on- the vent is just more fabric to sweat out- and the mesh liners tend to hold sweat and get heavy.

My eyeball says a mens medium in Patagonia will fit you nice and be cut the way you're looking fer.

You already have a Columbia and don't seem to like the fit, but maybe a different model would fit differently.
    My goto is the Columbia Tamiami (and it's fun to say). It's suppose to be a fishing shirt. I find they run a size big. I usually wear a medium and have to buy a small to avoid swimming in it. If you aren't picky about colors you can usually find one around $30.

Journal Entries
    Images

It got this with my 20% online coupon.$50 marked down to $33.73 -20% = $26.73 paid.
    http://www.rei.com/product/848231/white-sierra-kalgoorlie-shirt-mens-special-buy#tab-description
    I’m trying it out this weekend.I’ll let you know how I like it.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries

I use an ex officio reef runner.
    You want the shirt loose fitting. When its hot, and you are sweating, and wind blows thru the venting, its like having air conditioning on inside the shirt.

Tight fitting l/s shirts are insanely hotter by comparison.

Not looking for something tight fitting. But I have a pretty lean athletic build and most shirts I've found are baggy in weird places. I don't mind a relaxed fit. Understand the whole "airy" thing. But I feel like my silver ridge shirt is tight on the shoulders and can fit two of me around the torso. And I know its gonna get a little looser with wearing it a few days at a time. I tried downsizing but too tight in certain places

I decided to forgo the pullover outer shirts for something that would be cooler and found some really nice Columbia Timiami Fishing shirts that have the vented back and snap buttons. It is super lightweight and quick drying and easy to wear. I first purchased them at Dick's Sporting Goods, left there and went to a Tomlinson's store. They had the exact same thing for 1/2 the price. So I took the ones back to Dicks and bought the ones at Tomlinsons. You can find them at Bass Pro also but they like their merchandise as much as Dicks. http://www.gearone.com/apparel/fishi...-men-s-fm-7266

Here is a better link for the Columbia Tamiami shirt: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...78&fg=Category

hit up your local thrift store! most poly button down dress shirts are ~4 bucks and ~7 ounces.

Journal Entries

Have a look at RailRiders.com. Website has plenty of info. Also, Section Hikers Backing Blog featured a discussion about both the pants and the shirts. I have both. Check the sizing chart carefully.
    Last edited by sfdoc; 04-17-2015 at 07:33.

I hike in a shirt I use for fly fishing made by SIMMs. Seems to meet your criteria. Also Orvis will carry similar shirts.

I've never been disappointed with Railriders. You need to buy early in the season, though. From my experience it seems that once an item is out of stock, its stays that way.

Images

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...cessor=content

No personal experience but Duluth Trading is a reputable company.

I think Duluth Trading Company does with shirts and jackets like some companies do with shoes - they keep changing models. I bought 2 button shirts from Duluth last fall. Very nice, light weight shirts, 86% nylon and 14% Spandex with 2 vertical zip pockets. I'm glad I bought 2 because I can't find the same shirts in their listing now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++