WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone hiked/camped the Black Elk Wilderness, SD?

I am trying to construct an interesting overnight hike for a group of younger Boy Scouts. I'd like to start near Sylvan Lake, take in Little Devil's Tower and Catherdral Spires on Day 1. Spend 1 night somewhere along Grizzly Creek and hike back out via Harney peak. While this looks great on paper, anyone have any firsthand experince camping in the Black Elk Wilderness area. My concern is finding suitable spots to pitch a handful of Eureka Timberline tents.

Thanks for any insight.

Dave, I'm hitchhiking up to SD as we speak to hike that area, including the Badlands and Black Hills. Not sure when you are planning the outing, but I'll be glad to share some info in a few weeks when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a great hike! Look forward to hearing about your trip.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

plenty of spots in this area....nothing to worry about with finding space. however, i am not sure of the restrictions. it is a busy, highly visited place. i think they like for you to camp in designated areas and perhaps only in the campdground. i would call to make sure. most people stay at the campground and only dayhike this area.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

The goal for this trip is dispersed camping outside of established campgrounds (Boy Scout experience after all). The camping restrictions for Black Elk Wilderness appear to be limited to: > 1/4 mile from Harney peak, >1/4 mile from trail #9, > 100 feet from streams and < 25 heart beats per group. The thinking was to finish the overnight with a hike up Harney peak. Any alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have hiked the Centennial Trail through Black Elk Wilderness several times. There are plenty of places to camp along this trail. Cannot say for other areas of the wilderness. But, would have to assume the terrain is similar so my gut tells me you would be fine.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Thanks you lonehiker, this eases my mind.

++ New Posts ++