WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock & bugs ?

I'm planning a CT thru hike in August, don't want to but the back is making me switch to a hammock. I'm trying to modify a hammock to use a pad so I can go to ground if no trees...questions...1) do I need bug netting for the CT in August 2) what portion of the time could I expect to use the hammock, 95% I'm hoping.

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

I think you'd be OK without bug netting. I did my thru in July, and only had bug issues one night... August should be even more bug-free, at least for mosquitoes.

As far as I could find out, there is a ~24 mile stint above treeline in the San Juans, and depending on if you do the collegiate west instead of east you'll end up above treeline for a while there.

I was originally going to hammock on my thru, but cannot sleep in them with pads--UQ's all the way. That meant I either had to carry a useless pad for the 1-5 nights I may end up above treeline, or switch back to the ground. Now that I am getting excited about the collegiate west, I have gone to sleeping on the ground full time again. It was a tough choice, but I want to be able to have some above treeline campsites if I'd like to.

Depending on how you planned your mileage, and your willingness to hike a little ways off trail down to some trees, you could feasibly only spend 0-1 nights without trees. As far as bug pressure goes, I'll let someone else chime in there. If you camp near water, especially down south or near Denver, there could still be a decent amount of mosquitoes in August. Personally, I grew up in Florida, so I'm just accustomed to always taking bug protection for sleeping and not really thinking about it. Plus both my WBBB and my tarptent have them built in--no choice.

Images

Mosquitos in Colorado are funny, some years they are practically non-existent in the high country, others they can be pretty bad for a brief period. I never seem to make any sense of when they are bad, one would think the amount of recent rain would affect this, but I never see any correlation.

We basically only carry bug repellant during mid-summer, like the month of July and into August, and half the time we forget to bring it even then. By mid-august they seem to be gone nearly always. You don't say when in August you are starting, but in early August you might run into a few now and then. I'd bring a small amount of bug juice of some sort if you don't have netting.

Thanks guys.

King of the world, in training.

As far as sleeping goes, I treat my hammock and quilts with permethrin. You can get it at REI and other outdoor sellers. I treat me clothes with it and bring a headnet just in case. I use my WB underquilt and a put my clothes bag under my legs for insulation. I've been into the high 20's cold, but OK.

For my first thru-hike in 2011, I only really recall a few mosquitoes around Kenosha Pass. After that, it was clear.

I did my second thru-hike last year in July/August 2014, and had significant mosquitoes all the way from section 3 to Twin Lakes. Strangely enough, after Twin Lakes, they pretty much disappeared for a week or 10 days, and then re-appeared for one night about 10 miles shy of Silverton.

Not sure what to make of my two seasons of Colorado hiking, but after last summer, I would definitely want at least a headnet for sleeping.

Have you seen/heard of the Fronkey net? The plans are free, or you can buy one from a few different places. Super simple removable bug net design for hammocks with a structural ridgeline. They usually weigh in around 5 ounces I think, but it depends on a few factors obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEM6yEO268

Check out this discussion from last year: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...g-gear-in-July

It is hit or miss with bugs on the CT. August will probably have fewer than July.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Also - this winter (2014/2015) got far less snow than last (2013/2014), so there will probably be fewer bugs this summer.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use a pad in my hammocks with no modifications necessary.

++ New Posts ++