WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vandalism

Images

Some people are just *icks regardless of geography, citizenship, or employment. At points in my life i have been extremely broke either due to unemployment or student loan/medical debt. Not once have i broken into a car or stole. I lived next door to about 10 illegal immigrants and never locked my door. Never once had a problem yet two of my room mates that came from upper middle class families robbed me blind. I would just be careful not to leave anything valuable in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Good thing he didn't make an observation regarding the geographical distribution of Homicides on the AT.

There has never be one confirmed north of PA, of course.
    One stabbing in NH in 2001, and one or two still missing uncomfirmed issues up there. VA has the highest occurance, but compare that to the amount of trail it makes up and that doesn't really mean anything.
    by the way PA is not the south.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    This web-site has info on trailhead parking including information on any reported vandalism problems:

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/
    Thanks for this link Mapman, I had missed that info somehow!

As for parking in the South. I have parked anywhere from overnite to a week and a half at round 8 or 10 different spots in GA & NC. Some right on a Hwy like at Winding Stair or Dicks Creek gap to the wide spot in the road at Tellico gap. Never had any trouble. Last week I left my truck at Sinking Creek VA 630 for 3 days. No problems. Actually, at the end of my hike I spent an hour talking to "Longhorn" (Hiker, Maintainer, and Trail Angel extraordinaire) getting some of the local history of the trail in that area.

Say what you will about "trail Magic" in the south, but their are unintended benefits. One of those is the locals that are looking for some place to mess with or steal from parked cars at trail heads, see these folks out there. What had the presumption of being easy pickings is now not so much.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 78owl View Post
    I feel it is to dangerous down here in the south for you. Stay up north where there is no vandalism, muggings, or any criminal activity. The Mason/Dixon line might be a good pace to start your trek north.
    Had my car broken into three times in the south. It's definitely way too dangerous to hike there. I hear most southerners carry guns or knives. Some even carry banjos. Strongly suggest you stay north.

If you hear banjo music; hike faster

BECAUSE THE PARTIES ALREADY STARTED!
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Had my car broken into three times in the south. It's definitely way too dangerous to hike there. I hear most southerners carry guns or knives. Some even carry banjos. Strongly suggest you stay north.
    It's really hard when we carry all three!

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    It's really hard when we carry all three!
    Juggle?

Images

Hold my banjo and pistol so I can have a drink...yes, we southerners are all uneducated alcoholic drug addicted rapist thieving inbred vandals. You probably shouldn't come down here.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Hold my banjo and pistol so I can have a drink...yes, we southerners are all uneducated alcoholic drug addicted rapist thieving inbred vandals. You probably shouldn't come down here.
    ...don't forget, we are all racists too...

In an effort to rescue this thread, I suggest that the OP consider public transportation combined with shuttles instead of driving and leaving a car at a trailhead. That's what I do whenever possible (I've hiked roughly three-quarters of the trail), and it has worked out well.

FWIW: I'm only book hiking the trail right now so my references to reading about vandalism in the South, and questions about whether it happens in the North, were basically because I have only read as far as Tennessee. As I keep reading, I'll probably get plenty or references to vandalism in the North. No anti-South bent here.

To all you hypersensitive posters, the OP included a question of if vandalism occurs "all the way to Maine". Goodness. No one is being singled out or stereotyped. It was a question, not an accusation. I have found the people of the south to be some of the most hospitable and generous people I have ever met. They are class acts that people from Maine could learn from. I am going to assume this sensitive bunch here is not representative of the whole and that those I have met are. Calm down already. Wow!
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am going to assume this sensitive bunch here is not representative of the whole and that those I have met are. Calm down already. Wow!

My problem with Mainers is they think those of us living away are just plain stupid.

Used to be you see warning signs that were just a silhouette of a moose.

Then they added the words "Watch for Moose" below the silhouette-- just to make sure everyone got the point.

Now all the signs heading up 95 from MA and NH have been rewritten to say "Watch for Moose in Roadway"

I mean really. Do they think those driving into thier state could possible misunderstand the original signs to be nothing more than encouragement to view their wildlife out in the woods?

The signs are lying. Moose are becoming rare. I would be happy just to see a moose. Ticks are doing a number on them. Besides, we have worse faults than bad signs.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-21-2015 at 21:04.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++