WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I did see it, terrific job! Mine never looked that good, especially after they fell off the stick. Someone mentioned an old Boy Scout manual; an Explorer manual is even better. Lots of no utensil cooking ideas. Also look for Jackknife Cookery by James Austin Wilder. Great read. And keep practicing.

Ever try hoe cakes?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Ever try hoe cakes?
    Seen it. Viable option for those willing to cook on a slab or rock. I like the stick method of bannock.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Curious about the name (Bannock) and other early life giving breads in general, I was pretty certain it was of Western European Etymology, I looked it up. I did not know a Scone was a chip off the old block of bannock, so to speak...I love Scones!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannock_(food)

Bannock is a variety of flat quick bread or any large, round article baked or cooked from grain. When a round bannock is cut into wedges, the wedges are often called scones. But in Scotland, the words bannock and scone are often used interchangeably.[1][2]
    Contents

[hide]

Scottish[edit]

"Bannock" is a Northern English and Scottish word of Celtic origin. The Oxford English Dictionary states the term stems from panicium, aLatin word for "baked dough", or from panis, meaning bread. Its first cited use was in 1000, and its first cited definition in 1562. Its historic use was primarily in Ireland, Scotland and Northern England.[3] The Scottish poet Robert Burns mentions the bannock in his Epistle to James Tennant of Glenconner, in reference to Alexander Tennant.[4]
    Early history[edit]

Bannock

A Griddle (girdle) from Dalgarven Mill in North Ayrshire. Used for baking bannocks and oat cakes

The original bannocks were heavy, flat cakes of unleavened barley or oatmeal dough formed into a round or oval shape, then cooked on a griddle (or girdle in Scots). In Scotland, before the 19th century, bannocks were cooked on a bannock stane (Scots for stone), a large, flat, rounded piece of sandstone, placed directly onto a fire, then used as a cooking surface.[5] Most modern bannocks are made with baking powder or baking soda as a leavening agent, giving them a light and airy texture.[1][2][6] There is a suggestion that bannock cakes played a pivotal role in the deciding of a person for human sacrifice during the late Iron Age in the discovery of Lindow Man.[7]
    Varieties[edit]

Bannock varieties can be named or differentiated according to various characteristics: the flour or meal from which they are made, whether they are leavened or not, whether they have certain special ingredients, how they are baked or cooked, and the names of rituals or festivals in which they are used. Historically, specially made bannocks were used in rituals marking the changing of the Gaelic seasons: St Bride's bannock for spring (February 1), Bealtaine bannock for summer (May 1), Lughnasadh or Lammas bannock for autumn harvests (August 1), and Samhainbannock for winter (end of October). Other special Scottish and Gaelic bannocks includeberemeal bannock, bride's bannock, cod liver bannock, cryin' bannock, fallaid bannock, fife bannock, Hogmanay bannock, Marymas bannock, mashlum bannock, Michaelmas Bannock, pease bannock, Pitcaithly bannock, salt bannock, sautie bannock, Silverweed bannock, St Columba's bannock, teethin' bannock, Yetholm bannock, and Yule bannock.[1] In the north of England, bannocks are often made using pastry rather than a bread dough.
    Selkirk Bannock[edit]

A well-known Scottish bannock is the Selkirk Bannock, named after the town in the Scottish borders where it is traditionally made. It is a spongy, buttery variety, sometimes compared to a fruitcake,[8] made from wheat flour and containing a very large quantity of raisins. The first known maker of this variety was a baker named Robbie Douglas, who opened his shop in Selkirk in 1859. When Queen Victoriavisited Sir Walter Scott's granddaughter at Abbotsford she is said to have taken her tea with a slice of Selkirk Bannock—ensuring that its reputation was enshrined forever.[9] Today, Selkirk Bannocks are popular throughout Great Britain, and can be found at most largesupermarkets.[2]

• Selkirk Bannock

• Selkirk Bannock advertising

Indigenous North Americans[edit]

Bannock, also known as frybread, muqpauraq,[10] skaan (or scone), or Indian bread,[11] is found throughout North American Native cuisine, including that of the Inuit/Eskimo of Canada and Alaska, other Alaska Natives, the First Nations of the rest of Canada, the Native Americans in the United States, and the Métis.[11][12]

I likely should have called it Bisquick on a stick. 4eyedbuzzard mentioned a way to cook bread on skewers. I searched YouTube and found someone calling it bannock. I started this thread and asked for a recipe. Hikes in Rain gave me one. I failed at 1st attempt. I succeeded at 2nd attempt.

All I know is it is wicked good.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Succeeding on the second is very impressive! I started learning this sort of thing decades ago, when I could count my age in single digests, and it took me a LONG time to get anything edible. And I had my dad's and brother's help. I'm impressed, BirdBrain, very well done!

I know I could not find detailed instructions. Hopefully the ones I provided will help more than myself. I say again, this stuff is wicked good. I can imagine it will be heaven when I am starving on the trail.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Campfires for me are mostly a social or emergency thing. I seldom have a fire, so I steam bake instead, ..
    I seem to recall some wonderful muffins for breakfast from that penny stove of yours!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++