WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Pennslyvania hiking with Lab

Planning a practice hike with my 2 yr old neutered Lab Memorial Day weekend have 3 days. Thinking of starting Peter's Mountain and hiking North thru St Anthony Wilderness. Did this many years ago but not with a dog. Any input will be appreciated.

My advice would be to hold back on the daily mileage. I hiked in 1997 with my black lab, about the same age as yours, and it ruined his legs; he died at only 8 yrs of age. He was a wonderful trail partner, but I'd never put another dog through that regimen. Many will disagree, but that's my experience and conclusion.

Dog new to the trail on memorial day weekend. Could think of a worse time to do it.

Images

Send the dog, stay home............if he is smiling when he gets done consider testing out the rocks in Pa

watch for snakes

Leave the dog at home.

The section you plan on hiking is where the PA rocks start to become a real nuisance. I seem to remember the stretch as a mix of old gravel road and crazy rock scrambles with the rocky sections infested with rattle snakes. Water is also scarce and a long way down the side of the ridge. To compound the misery, it will likely be hot and humid by the end of May. This all adds up to being very hard on a dog and is why everyone is telling you to leave the dog home or find a more dog friendly trail to hike. Go up to the ADK's where there is lots of water and softer trails.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I just finished walking from Clarks Ferry to Swatara Gap and back in 2 days. There is plenty of water on Peters Mt, Stoney Mt, and the west side of Sharp Mt. There is a Magnolia hammock about halfway across Sharp Mountain where you will find a good water source. Water from that point on is a bit sketchy. There is a small spring to the south of the trail at 12.5 mi from the Swatara bridge. Your next good water is at the Rauch Shelter. The water between the shelter and bridge is mostly undrinkable due to mining activities. Fido may find the acidic water to be too much. I would fill up at Swatara Creek without hesitation.

As for your dog, how do you feel about carrying him across the ridge sections? Others had their dogs with them, but not in the areas with rock ridges.

Journal Entries

Thanks Buttercup01 good info. This is a pre hike for a Southbound thru for both of us.

++ New Posts ++