WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default base weight definition

Im assuming base weight refers to everything except.... food/water. does the pack include base weight? trekking poles?
    eveready

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Base weight = pack plus everything in the pack except food, water, and fuel (consumables)
    FSO (From Skin Out) weight = Base weight plus everything worn and carried in pockets, hands, etc. (includes hiking poles).
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

It is base pack wt, just commonly called base wt for short.
    You dont include consumeables because they change over course of trip.
    Many leave out items they should include, but usually bring.
    Maps, fuel containers or empty cannister wt, ziplocks, etc. Its not uncommon for some to carry a lb or more of stuff they didnt count, just to kid theirself.

I weigh everything in grams and take what other people say about their totals with a grain of salt. The only weight that matters is the weight total you would see if you stepped on a scale after the first step on the trail. That weight would be free from exaggerations and parsing.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Base wt. seems to mean whatever a person wants it to mean. There is no set definition.

Journal Entries
    Images

It's all made up. Folks like to boast about their pack weight. Your pack weight should be what it weighs when you hit the trail. Includeing water, food and fule. 20 years ago, before the go lite fad, almost everyone who did a thru-hike was carrying about 35 to 40 lbs and got to Maine. folks today think that if they can get their pack down to 25 lbs, or lighter, they will have no problem hiking to Maine. These hikers have much to learn.It's not what you carry on your back. It's what you carry in your head. Happy trails to all.
    Grampie-N->2001

How I determine my base weight. I put everything in a spreadsheet. I weigh each item carefully using a postal scale.

Then when I'm all done and I actually put the items into my pack I pull out my empty water bladder, fuel canister and food bag, which should account for all of the things that aren't counted as base weight, and I weigh the pack. Inevitably this does not match my spreadsheet. I'm only dreadfully concerned when it comes out lighter than my spreadsheet. That's a real *** moment that usually involves a fatfinger extra digit OR an entire stuff sack not packed.

Then once I'm reasonably sure that I've sorted out the reasons for any major differences I promptly forget it. I don't carry my base weight. I carry my pack, including everything in it. I try to keep my pack at or under 30 pounds. Sometimes that means a little less water and refilling more often or 'gawd I must eat all of the summer sausage and cheese first, what punishment!'

Images

Interesting thread. I mostly agree that the simplified version of base weight is everything minus consumables. However, it never once occurred to me that I shouldn't count my fuel. I have always just added the entire weight of a new isopro canister in with my base weight.

I agree with Walkintom though in that the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is what does the pack actually weigh when I strap it on and step on the trail? That varies too depending on how many days I'm out for, time of year etc. Through much trial and error, learning what I can do without and gear upgrades I am now around 25 or 26 pounds starting out with a liter of water and 3 or 4 days of food and I'm happy with that.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Base wt. seems to mean whatever a person wants it to mean. There is no set definition.
    And in any case, it's all weight added to the hiker's own mass, no matter how we care to define it. Call it what we will, it's there.

I have about 5 lbs of clothes on right now, not counting my fleece. That's 50% of "ultralight" base weight. FSO is worth more than base weight (as a measure), if either really matters.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I love it when an obese hiker spends $$$$$$ to shave a few oz.....easier to loss the lard than spend the $$$$. Makes no cents to me...most could drop 5lbs with a low carb diet in a week....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Base weight has a pretty set definition.

It is for you to use, if you know your base wt, and the amt of consumeables you need for a trip, you know what your total pack wt will be.

It is a rough comparitive guide for the gear carried as well. If someone says their base is 6 lbs, i have a good idea of the type gear being used, and what they probably arent carrying.

Above about 10, this meaning is nonexistent. Too many variables.

The only people who think it is about bragging, are people with heavy packs.

For the most part, light wt is about comfort, and speed. People that have benefitted tend to be enthusiastic about helping others. Sometimes too much so.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-23-2015 at 19:03.

A base weight of 6 lbs? Take away my big 4 and I still have over 6 lbs of stuff. I woud love to see a complete 6 lb base weight list that would safely get you through the 1st state. Those of us calling bs on proclaimed ul totals have never seen a real base weight setup that approaches such numbers. I measure everything in grams. I also include every item that is in my base weight in my base weight total. I am at 19.5 lbs with a big 4 that could shave several lbs by spending a bit more than I am willing. My 19.5 lbs is a real number. 6 lbs is bs.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    A base weight of 6 lbs? Take away my big 4 and I still have over 6 lbs of stuff. I woud love to see a complete 6 lb base weight list that would safely get you through the 1st state. Those of us calling bs on proclaimed ul totals have never seen a real base weight setup that approaches such numbers. I measure everything in grams. I also include every item that is in my base weight in my base weight total. I am at 19.5 lbs with a big 4 that could shave several lbs by spending a bit more than I am willing. My 19.5 lbs is a real number. 6 lbs is bs.
    Nope.
    I normally carry 6.5 to 7.5 lb myself. Lighter in warmer weather.
    Im a wuss. I like bug netting, and inflatable pad, and ccf under legs.
    I do "cheat" though, i keep my camera and map/guidebook page in pants pocket because i use them often.
    Also id and money on me, in case something bad happens.

My wt includes everything, down to 0.04 oz rubber bands.

Full skin out, including everything clothes, poles, shoes and all is around ~11-12 lbs.

In winter, id have a few lbs more, depending.

When matt kirk set the unsupported speed record, he carried about 5.5 lb gear. 1/2 lb was stuff to document his hike, phone, charger, usb cable, etc.

Whats hard to believe?

My big 4:
    Pack. 16.7 oz arcblast
    Quilt. 15.7 oz EE
    Shelter 14.8 oz with polycro groundsheet. hexamid twin
    Sleep pad 7.6 oz short xlite

Big 4 =~3.5 lb.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-23-2015 at 19:52.

Do you have a stove? 1st aid? Rain coat? Filter? Repair items? Hygiene? TP?

If I strap my 9 oz cook/eat set to my trekking poles does that get it out of my base weight?

Moving on.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-23-2015 at 19:51.

Moving on.
    Thats all optional, you know? Beggars have a 0 pound base weight. It all depends on what you are willing to give up to hike light.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Nope.
    I normally carry 6.5 to 7.5 lb myself. Lighter in warmer weather.
    Im a wuss. I like bug netting, and inflatable pad, and ccf under legs.
    I do "cheat" though, i keep my camera and map/guidebook page in pants pocket because i use them often.
    Also id and money on me, in case something bad happens.

My wt includes everything, down to 0.04 oz rubber bands.

Full skin out, including everything clothes, poles, shoes and all is around ~11-12 lbs.

In winter, id have a few lbs more, depending.

When matt kirk set the unsupported speed record, he carried about 5.5 lb gear. 1/2 lb was stuff to document his hike, phone, charger, usb cable, etc.

Whats hard to believe?

My big 4:
    Pack. 16.7 oz arcblast
    Quilt. 15.7 oz EE
    Shelter 14.8 oz with polycro groundsheet. hexamid twin
    Sleep pad 7.6 oz short xlite

Big 4 =~3.5 lb.
    Muddy
    I'd love to see your jmt thru gear list....maybe I can shave lil weight...I consider myself as a lt weight hiker...even though I'm 5'11" built like a spark plug @ 215lbs
    My big 4...I don't own a scale...so it's not exact
    Ula circuit w extras removed.....2lbs
    Marmot helium 15 deg bag... 2lbs orJRB 45deg quilt... 1lb
    LHG solong6....2lbs
    Neoair large...1lb...would love to shorten but I'm chicken...

Journal Entries

The only people who think it is about bragging, are people with heavy packs.

Pack weight = 11 lbs weight on trail, actual IRL weight, and I say base weight is just bragging rights. There is just to much opportunity to deceive oneself as to what one is actually carrying.

Journal Entries

If I strap my 9 oz cook/eat set to my trekking poles does that get it out of my base weight?

Moving on.
    My stove, pot, etc weighs 1.95 oz for alcohol setup. About 3 oz for cannister. 4oz alcohol fuel bottle weighs 0.6 oz, can last me a week.
    Yes, I carry rain gear is 9 with kilt, 10 oz with pants.
    1 oz TP last me 2 weeks, repair items?? Just duct tape, needle, dental floss. Hygiene? baking soda and toothbrush, and 20 ml liquid soap dropper bottle is it. ~ 1 oz for all. Sometimes a 1/2 comb.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Muddy
    I'd love to see your jmt thru gear list....maybe I can shave lil weight...I consider myself as a lt weight hiker...even though I'm 5'11" built like a spark plug @ 215lbs
    My big 4...I don't own a scale...so it's not exact
    Ula circuit w extras removed.....2lbs
    Marmot helium 15 deg bag... 2lbs orJRB 45deg quilt... 1lb
    LHG solong6....2lbs
    Neoair large...1lb...would love to shorten but I'm chicken...

I can PM it. I was at~ 9.5 lbs with the 2 lb Bearikade. weekender.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-23-2015 at 20:32.

My stove, pot, etc weighs 1.95 oz for alcohol setup.
    I feel like I am debating myself and where I would like to be. I see a bunch of stuff that you are doing that I do as well. My comments were initially in the abstract. I did not intend to call out anyone specific. I know that I am failing miserably on my big 4, but feel I am doing okay on the rest.

My 9 oz cook and eat setup included a 7 gram stove and no stand. I use a homemade cone clone to support my grease pot. The pot itself weighs close to 2.5 oz. I cozy cook. How do you get a sub 2 oz cook setup? Do you have a cup? A spoon? A mini bic? A wind screen? A cozy?

Don't get me wrong. I am fully in favor of shaving grams. My 1st aid kit weighs 1 oz. I believe if I spent big bucks I could get down to 14 lbs or so.

I did not intent to go after you. I really meant to keep my comments in the abstract. I just see no chance of sub 10 for me. I also carry a 2.5 lb camera setup. Even with no camera, I don't have the knowledge or skills to get under 10lbs safely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++