Default Summer clothing choices

Hi ladies,

I'm planning a June hike (about a month) and going through my clothes inventory. I used to backpack in running shorts and a tank when it got really hot (sunscreen too, of course) but nowadays it seems like long pants and long sleeves are the choice for sun and bug protection. I find a lot of hiking pants aren't nearly as comfortable as running shorts though. What say you?

Journal Entries

Hello wildwood35

I've found excellent clothing including lightweight pants with zip off legs at GoLite. In fact, I have their tent, backpack, warm water resistant pants...I'm a hiking commercial but truly love everything from them. Good luck!

I have gone out for a month or more each summer for the past six years and have worn the Mountain Hardwear better butter skirt with a short sleeve quick dry tee of some sort while hiking. Long bike shorts also seemed popular with the female thrus last year, and I can see the appeal for minimizing chafing. I haven't ever had much of a problem with sunburn, and I use Ben's 100% DEET for the bugs.

When I sit down for breaks I just put on my rain jacket if I get chilled. Once I get to camp I change right away into a long sleeved tee (coolmax or quick dry) and my camp shorts ( regular Target brand running shorts). A light fleece or puffy is also nice to have in the summer if you get cold easily like I do.

Images

I hike in pants with Insect Shield treatment. I get them from Railriders but I also have to alter them to fit. Not built curvy like I am, so I get them to fit the hips and take in the waist. I have tried other brands but the fit was even worse and I like the pockets and other features of Railriders weatherpants.

Images

If shorts are comfortable, why give them up? There are ways to treat (against ticks/critters) your comfortable clothing, without switching up what works for you.

I have yet to find any hiking pants that are comfortable - some are too hot, some are too restrictive, none have been just right... That was when I realized I didn't really want to find any hiking pants that worked for me. I do wear hiking pants/rain pants, but only when I know I am going to be out bushwhacking. Otherwise, shorts are the go-to system for me. They are comfortable, weigh next to nothing, are quick enough to wash/dry... I also tend to hike warm.

Everyone is different. If you have found something that works for you - Why change it unless you are really worried about sun exposure and insects? It sounds like you are thinking of changing your mind about shorts more because of public opinion, rather than because you feel hiking pants are right for you.

Admittedly, there are sections of the PCT and CDT where it is common sense to protect yourself from the sun. On the AT, that isn't nearly the same issue. There are still many who hike in shorts and tank tops (just make sure your shoulder straps and your tank tops are compatible!). I would also have to say it would be dependent on where you are planning on hiking in June. If you were up my way, the black flies and mosquitoes would be out and my advice might be a little bit different for anyone who is not used to dealing with those monsters.

Good luck and have an awesome hike! Whatever you decide, just make sure it works for you.

Not so much thinking of changing b/c of public opinion... just wondering if I'm missing some information that could make a difference. Most of my backpacking in recent years has been out west (no trees, sun protection a must...). I agree - haven't found a comfortable pair of hiking pants yet so I'll probably stick with that this summer. I'm doing a month-long hike on the AT in VA in June so just weighing options right now. Literally.

@Maple_Sky - haven't thought of bike shorts. May try that out soon. Would certainly make it easier to slip on an extra layer when it gets chilly.

Thanks all for the feedback.

^^^stick with the shorts, that is.

You could try a skirt. More air flow than pants or shorts and it can be whatever length you want. I have a lycra skirt, a little above the knee, with little shorts built in and it's the most comfortable thing to hike in. The least-restrictive clothing I've ever worn. My only complaint is that there are no pockets. I also have a cotton skirt I bought while on the PCT to use in towns while I washed my clothes. It's a little below the knee with a pink tie-dye hippie thing going on. When mosquitoes were biting me through my pants I ended up wearing it over my pants while I put my gear away in the morning, set it up at night and at rest stops or even hiking sometimes when the mosquitoes were insane. It has a generous A-line and was plenty easy to hike in. Barely weighs anything and dries quickly as it's thin cotton. Again no pockets, though, though I suppose I could try to sew some on.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I prefer long pants because I have sun/bug protection but also protection from tree branches or scratchy brush. I've tried a lot over the years, and my very favorite backpacking/hiking pants are Columbia Anytime Boot Cut. They are really lightweight, quick dry, stretchy enough to be very comfortable, and can be rolled up. I also wear them a lot casually in the summer, even when not on a backpack trip. Usually rolled up to my knees.

http://www.columbia.com/womens-anyti...nt-AL8088.html

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Love my convertible pants. Be sure to treat all clothing, socks and shoes with permethrin for the ticks

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++