WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default rhododrendron attacks

I have heard of instances of rhododrendron attacks on the AT.
    Is this a significant risk ??? How does a newby AT hiker prepare for rhododrendron attacks ??? Are the attacks more common in certain seasons ???
    Crazy Al

Machete and a flame thrower.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

what the @#%^ is a rhodadendron attack? the only thing i can think of is burning rhodadendron can lead to pulmonary congestion.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

For years Rhododrendon has been an oppressed minority, esp in the South. The lucky few live in towns / cities where they survive as landscaping for wealthy Republican "robber barrons" but the vast majority are forced to live in the forrests where they lack education opportunities that most of us take for granted. These forrest dwellers suffer disease and malnourishment due to the poor living conditions as well. Families cling together on the banks of streams with the poorest of the poor forced high into the dry ridges. It's pitiful really.

The forrest Rhodies look upon the landscape Rhodies with scorn and resentment. I'm not surprised that radical elements of the forrest Rhodies are fighting back.
    "In the abundance of water the fool is thirsty."...Bob Marley

Watch out for roving gangs near Max Patch. They call themselves tunnels.

LOL Ya'll be funny...

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Rhodie attacks are more common when the hiker gets between the mother and the sprouts. Also when hiker has their water supply exposed in the dryer areas. "Tunnels" have been known to "lift" a water container or two but reported injuries have been minor in these cases.......so far.

Images

Don't feed the Rhodies, except Yogi.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I think that there is sufficient evidence to move this thread to the Hiking Humor forum. Perhaps Wildlife, or we could create a new one around Keeping Safe.

Images

I've heard that it's only the young ones, out to make a name for themselves, that you have to watch out for. Of couse, I don't mean to imply that all young Rhodies are holligans and ne'er-do-wells; some are just bored and looking for some excitement. After all, shrubs will be shrubs.
    Cheers,
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I can attest to Rhodie hostility! On my throughhike I would cautiously make my way through the aforesaid "tunnels" when without warning or provocation they pummeled me with great masses of heavy wet snow!

Mouse- Wet snow, hell, I went thru just as the sun was hitting the Rhodies after freezing rain the night before and got showered with shards of ice!

Images

I hate when they reach down, grab the top of my pack, & abruptly sling me back like a rubberband, slammin me on my a$$. Damn rhodies How dare they take advantage of my 6'5" height w/ towering pack above my head. I swear the large pack of rowdy rhodies near Max Patch were all snickering as I lay on my a$$. I was just trying to make it thru their friggin tunnel formation.

Notice em all in the pic, thinkin they're all big & bad,,,, oooooooooooooohhh

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

I'm intimidated!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

I am weary of the female redoee. One had a flower once and she said to me..."Who needs brains when you got these?" As she pushed her flower out more....

Quote Originally Posted by kyerger
    I am weary of the female redoee. One had a flower once and she said to me..."Who needs brains when you got these?" As she pushed her flower out more....

Now that is funny.......LAMO.
    "In the abundance of water the fool is thirsty."...Bob Marley

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    How dare they take advantage of my 6'5" height w/ towering pack above my head. I swear the large pack of rowdy rhodies near Max Patch were all snickering as I lay on my a$$. I was just trying to make it thru their friggin tunnel formation.

Because of their inferior status amongst trees (who call them "tree wannabees") they particularly hate tall people.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Talking They practice mesmerism too!

One of their tactics is to hypnotize unwitting hikers. I've heard of hikers seen near the entrance to rhodondendron tunnels, with blank stares on their faces, looking filthy and unkempt, as if they've been in that state for days or weeks. As if the rhoddies were waving long beautiful leaves slowly back and forth, saying softly "Look at me, look at me. You are tired. Soooo tired. You are getting sleeeeepy. Your eyelids are heavy. You want to rest. You are drifting away....."

I've heard that some hikers,-- modern-day Rip Van Winkles,-- have been found soundly asleep among rhododendrons, some with beards proving they've been there for a long, long time.

So, it's not just the physical attacks any longer. Now it's also psychological warfare!

And these are supposed to be the "unlearned" cousins to the fancy city rhoddies? I wonder who's really ignorant of the truth of things?!

And.... I heard it's spreading to mountain laurel nowadays! BEWARE, all ye who enter the woods!

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 11-11-2005 at 11:17.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Bump..... thought this was funny, found while looking for something else. This whole thread is awesome! and it gets better!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 01-29-2013 at 11:18.

Lets just hope that this kind of behavior doesn't spread to other plants...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++