WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Looks samiliar...was that just south of Hot Springs?

2012_04080087.jpg

Wait until you see what the plant kingdom may have in store for humans next. Watch the movie The Happening - little far fetched though.

As a Horticulturalist I'm utterly amazed at the way plants have evolved to defend themselves, thrive, and compete, with even other plants. It happens with so many other life forms as well. Think bacteria, viruses, etc.
    Yeap, plants wage some nasty chemical warfare and we're just a food source and shelter for many forms of bacteria/viruses...so much for coexistance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Looks samiliar...was that just south of Hot Springs?

2012_04080087.jpg
    Betty Creek Gap, between Deep Gap and Franklin. I was standing there, deciding whether or not I should stop for the night. Suddenly it started raining. The rhodie family called to me, and said that they would protect me while I set up my tent. They kept me warm and dry.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Contraire, contraire to any of you who speak ill of the Rhodies. They reach out not to harm you but to embrace you in their wondrous arms. Crawl beneath their branches, set up camp, and enjoy a great night's sleep. Nuthin' to be found the equal of it on the trail. Calm, comfortable, covered.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Be glad kudzu hasn't made it to the AT yet...but it's only a matter of time.

made my first sling shots with rhodies, and then had a very close encounter from one of the rhodies ......from my dad! Lesson learned.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I don't worry about the rhododendron attacks. What I am on the look out for are the Waitaminute vines that quietly line the trail, then reach out and grab you with their prickly, thorn covered limbs, stopping you cold and tearing the crap out of your flesh, pack and anything attached or hanging to the outside of your pack. Certain sections of the trail are infamous for the Waitaminute vines.

1+ with Big Dawg's response. Rhodies discriminate against tall people...especially in the tunnels. They really like to snatch glasses right off your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Yeap, plants wage some nasty chemical warfare and we're just a food source and shelter for many forms of bacteria/viruses...so much for coexistance
    LOL I'll let you have that. I knew I was setting myself up for that when I made that comment.

There are actually a lot of examples of coexistence. Just in the plant kingdom alone look at the co-exisiting relationships that have developed between orchids and various insects, fungi, and animals that mutually benefit two or more totally different species. Some insects and alternatively some orchids NEED each other to survive to propagate their lineage(reproduce). Some orchids need specific fungi or mycorrhizae to germinate seed. The orchid family, the largest family of plants, has learned to evolve to coexist in some absolutely astonishing ways! It's fascinating to learn how orchids have evolved. Ever wonder why orchid inflorescences look so different? Study them, you'll start understanding just how deeply they have evolved(learned) to cooperate with other things.

Some bat species almost exclusively rely on eating one plant specie's fruit and in turn that plant has evolved to attract that type of bat. Perhaps, in some yet unexplained way the plant knows that the bat droppings will disperse its' seed thereby further insuring a progeny of new plants. Look at epiphytes(air plants), such as bromeliads and orchids with how they require a larger supporting plant like a tree and the tree in turn receives benefits from the epiphytes. It's a symbiotic relationship - a relationship between two different species that benefits both species. *There is evidence of cooperation/coexistence in Nature all around us yet we overwhelmingly ignore that aspect of Nature by solely shouting about another aspect of Nature - survival of the fittest. I wonder why? Perhaps, survival of the fittest helps excuse human centric or self serving agendas developed by various humans?

Look at what can happen in a negative sense in our own digestion when we kill off ALL the "bugs-bacteria)" both "good" and "bad" with antibiotics. There are benefits of having those "good bugs" living in us. It's a symbiotic balanced relationship that's mutually beneficial. You can't discount this cooperation in Nature or, for lack of a better word, COEXISTENCE.

I'll certainly be mindful of survival of the fittest in Nature - but I'll also not ignore the cooperation or coexistence that can occur in Nature as well. I'll look to coexist with the Rhodies as it seems MrBibble and SawnieRobertson is doing.

They make nice balusters for this Foot Hills Trail bridge.

2012_12130041.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I don't worry about the rhododendron attacks. What I am on the look out for are the Waitaminute vines that quietly line the trail, then reach out and grab you with their prickly, thorn covered limbs, stopping you cold and tearing the crap out of your flesh, pack and anything attached or hanging to the outside of your pack. Certain sections of the trail are infamous for the Waitaminute vines.
    Waitaminute vines. I like that. Never heard that before.

Journal Entries

On a serious note. Dogwood brings up a great point regarding the coexistence between some plants and animals. I now reside in the Chihuahuan Desert and many of the plants here depend on the acids in an animals intestines to degrade or scarify the seed covering so that it may germinate once the seed has been deposited in the animals excrement. Without that process, many of the plants would not be able to propagate. The Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel, however, do not need to be scarified in order to germinate.

This is exactly why hikers should carry automatic weapons and lots of ammunition on the Appalachian Trail. I've found that with camo and silence, they don't know I'm there….

I think people that confuse the terms of coexistence and symbiotic do so for human-centric reasons.

Why the BIG problem with coexistence? What does it not exist? PF, you may like perusing this with your coffee and croissant this morning while on the lanai overlooking the ocean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis

You make it seem incorrect to think the word(s) symbiosis or a symbiotic relationship can't be replaced so often with the word coexistence ? Perhaps you should do a synonym search for symbiosis/symbiotic and coexistence? You might find much in common. I suppose that too would be human centric?

sym·bi·ot·ic

/ˌsɪmbiˈɒtɪk, -baɪ-/ Show Spelled [sim-bee-ot-ik, -bahy-] Show IPA
    adjective living in symbiosis, or having an interdependent relationship: Many people feel the relationship between humans and dogs is symbiotic.

Would it be that far fetched or incorrect to replace the word symbiotic in this sentence by saying, 'Many people feel the relationship between humans and dogs is one of coexistence?'

You seem to have a real issue with the idea of coexistence. You were in the U.S. military weren't you?

Images

Rhodo been play'n the knock down game
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Perhaps you should do a synonym search for symbiosis/symbiotic and coexistence? You might find much in common. I suppose that too would be human centric?
    Come on Dogwood, you know it’s all about context.

When most think of coexistence they are thinking of harmonious coexistence based on mutual respect and in celebration of diversity and tolerance, which is a big ruse, but I’ll ignore that for this discussion. And everyone is full of this stupid feeling, sort of like this hippie crap on display in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnB-Bvlp5E

Symbiosis in nature has nothing to do with coexistence in that context. The animals do NOT care about one another’s well-being; rather it’s all about what you can do for me, period. It doesn’t matter what organism you’re talking about, for example when certain fungi develops a symbiotic relationship with plants it’s because the fungus needs carbohydrates from the plant, and in return the plant needs extension to their root system to get the most moisture/nutrients from the soil. And if plant could get water/nutrients without the help of certain fungi, then they would devlop a strategy to keep the fungus from connecting with their roots, after all it's an expensive relationship and in many ways the fungi needs the plants more than the plants need the fungi (in many cases).

There’s no mutual love, it’s all about their selfish needs, period. The human-centric idea of coexistence is putting one’s own interest aside in order to help others. That doesn’t happen with symbiotic relationships in nature. What can you do for me? That is at the root of all symbiotic relationships. There is no love and concern over the safety and well-being of others, that is totally a human construct.

"The animals do NOT care about one another’s well-being; rather it’s all about what you can do for me, period."

You can look at it that way if you like but that's not what I see in Nature. I see quite a bit of evidence supporting one species absolutely caring about another species well being even on occasion two species that are considered to have a prey/predator relationship caring for one another. Look around. Take a different perspective. You'll possibly notice it. Nature is NOT ALL about survival of the fittest.

I was brutally assaulted by these very "Waitaminutes" just north of Pearisburg. I was a mile away from ending a night hike and getting into a soft hotel bed, when all of a sudden I had lost my headlamp, hat, and about a pint of blood. These guerrillas mean business and should not be approached or engaged without sufficient defense.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++