WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Permithin use

Journal Entries

DIY: Treat your own clothes at home

We have info on DIY treating your own clothes. Keep in mind, you will likely need to re-apply monthly with the DIY method. DIY treated clothes last about 5-6 washes, while professional treated clothing last about 70 washes.

I read the back label it says to store in a cool lightproof place. My guess is the hot water and/or the heat from the dryer might be the cause of deterioration.
    If I soak my clothes or the pros do it what's the diff? Sure the spray on lasts only 5-6 washes, But shouldn't my soaking last 70?

"For best results Sawyer recommends hand washing and air drying. When using a conventional washer and dryer, use the gentle wash and dry cycles. Loss due to the dryer is limited compared to the detergent and washer agitation. Dry cleaning removes the permethrin from the fabric."

I've been soaking all my outside hiking clothes in permithrin diluted down to 1% or 2% every April for about 8 years. I just get them completely wet, wring out and hang outdoors to dry for several days. This treatment seems to still be effective in late September.

Journal Entries

I treated my clothes 2 weeks ago by soaking them up in 0.5% solution. Today I was geocaching in New Jersey Pinelands where the tick problem is really horrible and I noticed a tick crawling up on my pants. Since I saw it I decided not to take it off but rather see what would happen next. For the first 3-4 minutes the tick was crawling quite vigorously but then it slowed down and curled up its legs. After another 2 minutes it fell off. This is the second time I had a chance to observe something like this.

I guess my main concern now is a situation where a tick would crawl up under my pants. I am not sure if more limited contact against my pants would be sufficient to paralyze such tick.

We used it in Maine (Andover to Mt K) in June-July and it worked great. We could stand around in shorts and tee shirt while others were swarmed by clouds of skeeters. We soaked our clothes, packs, tent (not our underware). We would do it again.

How should I treat my tent?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    There used to be a place in NC where you could send your hiking clothes to get treated. It cost a bit but lasted for 70 or so washes. I can't remember te name of the place though...
    http://www.tickencounter.org/prevent...ur_own_clothes
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    How should I treat my tent?
    Spray the netting. Don't bother with the rainfly nor the "bathtub" bottom of the tent. Permethrin doesn't soak into waterproof fabrics.

I have a hammock and I either soak or spray it. Mosquitoes can bite right through the fabric of a hammock, so I don't care for it to be pest-friendly.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I have always sprayed my boots pretty heavily, more out of just what I thought was common sense (close to ground, grass, etc.). A lucky educated guess in hindsight. I found it interesting that treating boots was so much more effective than just treating clothing in the study http://www.tickencounter.org/research/summer_clothing
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    What if we all pitch in a few bucks and rent a crop duster. We could spray a 50' swipe up the AT which would make a tick free zone for hiking!
    If you're looking for a volunteer to hold the paypal donations for this cause, let me know.

On another note, anyone with chrysanthemum allergies use permethrin on their clothes? Wondering if you had a reaction?

Just got back from a GA-NC section and I'm happy to report that I didn't see a single tick in the entire 3 weeks. I don't know if the cold winter inhibited them but it didn't seem to have any effect on the flies and gnats, neither of which were bothered in the least by my permethrin-soaked clothes. I left my zip-offs on and still discovered gaping sores at the end of the day where the flies actually crawled up my permethrin-soaked pants legs to bite me. On Cheoah Bald the gnats were so bad that I was tempted to put on my headnet. When we left they followed us and I had to hike 30 yards behind my hiking buddy to prevent his swarm from joining forces with my swarm. My permethrin-soaked bucket hat didn't keep them from dive-bombing my eyes, but then I added some Picaridin-based repellent and that seemed to hold them at bay.

Sorry, probably a dumb question, but I'm new to permethrin.
    For those who use it, do you also spray it on your skin, or do you use a DEET product in addition to the permethrin?
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    Sorry, probably a dumb question, but I'm new to permethrin.
    For those who use it, do you also spray it on your skin, or do you use a DEET product in addition to the permethrin?
    Do not spray it on your skin. It is used to treat fabrics. You can also buy clothes that have already been treated. Google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do you also still use DEET for exposed skin?

So do you also still use DEET for exposed skin?
    You can use any bug spray on the market for exposed skin. Repellents containing DEET are just some that can be used. My understanding is that DEET works like nothing else in repelling skeeters but some have cited adverse health effects from using the stuff, especially with repellents containing higher percentages of DEET. Whether or not this concerns you is up to you.

Permethrin applied to clothing will not protect your exposed skin.

Quote Originally Posted by l84toff View Post
    You can use any bug spray on the market for exposed skin. Repellents containing DEET are just some that can be used. My understanding is that DEET works like nothing else in repelling skeeters but some have cited adverse health effects from using the stuff, especially with repellents containing higher percentages of DEET. Whether or not this concerns you is up to you.

Permethrin applied to clothing will not protect your exposed skin.
    Great - Thanks!

Journal Entries

I fill a 24 oz spray bottle with 1 oz of permithren and then add 19 oz of water to fill it to the 20 oz line. Spray 3 oz per item of clothing for best results. Look up the military method to soak items. Items need to soak for 2 hours.

Journal Entries

Stop wearing pants and underwear.

Sorry, probably a dumb question, but I'm new to permethrin. I
    Just to be clear you treat you clothes with permethrin once before you hike. Repellent like deet is added to your skin as need during you hike. Picaridin is another repellent that is just as effective as deet but does not irritate skin or damage fabrics as deet does.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++