WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Permithin use

Default Permithin use

I just got a bottle of concentrated Permithin and would appreciate advice on its use. I would like to treat both clothing and gear before hitting the Trail. The bottle is 10% Permithin and 90% inert whatever. How should I dilute it? Should I soak clothing and hang it to dry? How about gear, should I use a spray bottle? Is there anything that I shouldn't treat? Thanks for letting me draw on your knowledge and experience.

Images

Clothing and bug net get soaked in a bucket, everything else is sprayed. Don't treat your underwear.

Why not treat your underwear? I do. Have not seen any problems so far. Seems logical that they would be the most important items to treat. Ticks head for such areas.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Why not treat your underwear? I do. Have not seen any problems so far. Seems logical that they would be the most important items to treat. Ticks head for such areas.
    Probably would be effective on crabs, too.

There is a version of permethrin that is not suitable for clothing. It is sold at farm supply stores. I am trying to find it on the web. Can't find the reference. The type I am referring to is a much higher percentage and has other additives. Be careful what type you use. Someone help me out and post that info if you can find it. Some people have used the type that is intended for farm use as an insecticide. It is not intended for clothing. Soak all your clothes in the right stuff. Soaking is more reliable than spraying.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

After a bit if research, I see that some people people are concerned with rashes. I am more concerned with incurable diseases.

Well I bought the 36.8% stuff, the back label talks about termites and construction materials, nothing about clothes. I would want to keep harsh chemicals away from my naughty bits. Although they say it's non-toxic after it drys.

I am going to find that reference. If memory serves, the 36.8% version is not intended for clothing because of other non inert ingredients.

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/m...roducts_id=445

Down the page a bit, it says do not use this for clothes. This is not the reference I found before and does not list the unsafe ingredients. Still looking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tprunty8 View Post
    I just got a bottle of concentrated Permithin and would appreciate advice on its use. I would like to treat both clothing and gear before hitting the Trail. The bottle is 10% Permithin and 90% inert whatever. How should I dilute it? Should I soak clothing and hang it to dry? How about gear, should I use a spray bottle? Is there anything that I shouldn't treat? Thanks for letting me draw on your knowledge and experience.
    Read this http://www.isd.net/~mhurwicz//tickproof/

From what it says, you soak clothing in a 0.5% solution - that is 1/2%, not 5%. So if my math is correct, and your concentrate is 10%, you would need to dilute it 19 parts water to 1 part concentrate to get a 0.5% soak solution. That would be 6.4 oz per gallon of final solution volume, which would mean mixing 6.4 oz of solution with 121.6 oz water. Realistically, 6 1/2 oz of concentrate added to a gallon of water would be close enough.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Okay...I am going to give up on this search. I am finding abstract discussions of petroleum based mixtures being the issue. Hopefully someone can add an intelligent comment to this thread. I am certain that not all permethrin mixtures will work well on clothing, but can't find the proper reference to cite. I don't want people to waste money on a false hope.

Why not on underwear? Technically, if you treat your clothes property, wear the correct clothing, and wear it correctly, the ticks will never get anywhere near that area.

My understanding is that there are two types of permethrin. A mix with petroleum products made for livestock, it has a strong smell. And a mix with water that has little to no smell and is suitable for clothing.

Thanks for all of your advice. I did pick it up at the farm supply store. I didn't realize that there might be a difference because of the inert part of the solution. Maybe I shouldn't use this bottle on clothing

I have been using the permethrin intended for termites. I dilute it down to the 0.5% intended for clothes. I did so after reading many many peoples reviews of its use on clothes and gear for years with nothing but good results. I switched to the "bulk" termite use stuff because I was spending a fortune on the stuff premixed, Intended for clothes.
    Maybe the bulk stuff says "not for use on clothes" because they want people to spend a fortune on the stuff intended for clothes??? Not sure but I haven't had any problems and it seems to be working fine for me. Both have the same smell wet and dries odor free!
    Of course use only after doing your own research and always at your own risk!!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

I believe the percentage is not the issue. Petroleum based or not is the issue. It can be very concentrated as long as it is not petroleum based.

I've had a few retired military men say they used the petroleum based in the service. They swear by it and still use to this day. I do not promote or even advise anyone to use in any way outside recommendations on the labeling. Just stating my use...

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

I was looking at the Permethrin concentrates at the farm store sometime last year. I seem to recall they had concentrates that were pertroleum based and some that were not petroleum based. So perhaps some concentrates are OK and others are not.

I don't have a source, but I've read that it isn't good for permetherin to make contact with mucus membranes. That would be why you don't want to treat underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This label from the army kit indicates they use permethrin with petroleum distillates:

http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/f...0237_label.pdf

However, I ended up buying a 10% solution from Amazon that doesn't appear to have the petroleum distillates, Martin's brand. A 8oz bottle was about $12 and should be more than enough for everything I want to treat.

I also read the army kit is diluted to 0.8% solution, so I think I will use that concentration when applying it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++