WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3 Person Lightweigt backpacking tent

Hello all,

I am now here to buy a 3 person lightweight tent for backpacking. My budget is $300 and have no real idea where to start looking. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Images

We used a Tarptent Rainshadow when our daughter hiked with us. It has room for three hikers plus some gear, is well made, and weighs around 2.5 pounds. Uses a trekking pole for the main support. Nice tent, in your price range. The only thing I did not like about it was the single door at the head end, but we dealt with it.

I often rigged a 5x8 foot silnylon tarp over the door to make a large covered area for cooking and hanging out in bad weather -- it also let me keep the door open in the rain to reduce condensation.

Edit: I just watched the setup video on the Tarptent site for the new version II, and I like the way the door is now constructed - the entrance is way bigger with two poles (ours was the original with one pole that was always in the way).
    Last edited by bigcranky; 04-21-2015 at 22:07.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm going to suggest the Kelty Gunnison 3.2.

The two main reasons I recommend it is because it's pretty large as 3P tents go and because you can pick it up relatively cheap right now as the 3.2 is currently on clearance at many retailers because Kelty has come out with a 3.3 for 2015.

The MSRP on this tent was $260, but Sierra Trading Post has it for $200. You should be able to find a 35% off coupon with free shipping. With Ohio sales tax of 5.75%, your out-the-door price should be about $137.50.

Now the Gunnison is NOT a tent in the UL category. As shipped, it's a 7lb+ tent. But for less than $140, it doesn't lighten your wallet either.

If you do want to lighten your load and wallet, Sierra Trading Post also has a Marmot tent that comes in at just under 5lbs that is within your budget (with coupon). But I find it hard to recommend it as a 3P tent as it is only 88"x70" (39sqft) compared to the Gunnison's 93"x75' (48.5sqft).

The Big Agnes - Angel Spring UL3 has worked out great for me.
    It has been discontinued for 2015 but you can find it on closeout for less than $300
    http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes...erson-3-season
    It comes in total weight 3.6lb

Here is a review I did on it.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1862031

Also, what size people is this going to be for? As a larger person myself (and I'm the short one in my family at 6'1") I find that most 3 person tents are only 2 person tents unless you want to literally be touching your neighbor all night long. Many of them give you 20-25" of width per person (the width of a standard to large sleeping mat), and that's it. It also depends on how you sleep. I'm a side sleeper who kicks out my legs to the side and that's the only way I can fall asleep. Just some food for thought which will hopefully help you with your decision.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Also, what size people is this going to be for? As a larger person myself (and I'm the short one in my family at 6'1") I find that most 3 person tents are only 2 person tents unless you want to literally be touching your neighbor all night long. Many of them give you 20-25" of width per person (the width of a standard to large sleeping mat), and that's it. It also depends on how you sleep. I'm a side sleeper who kicks out my legs to the side and that's the only way I can fall asleep. Just some food for thought which will hopefully help you with your decision.
    This is why I point out the size of a tent like the Gunnison. I use a 25" Thermarest Xlite while my kids use a 20". I've tested these pads inside tents like the Mountain Hardware Drifter 3 (20"/25"/20") and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 (20"/25"). While the quoted size of these tent say the pads should fit, the truth is that tent sizes are given based on the corners where the tent poles hit the ground, not the usable space inside the tent. The results are that in smaller tents like the Drifter, Copper spur, and Angel Spring require my pads to overlap each other because I'm using at least one pad wider than 20".

Images

+1 for the Tarp Tent Rainshadow II

Journal Entries

Check CampSaver.com. They have a good sale now.

Images

If I were in the market for a 3+ person shelter, I'd look into Appy Trails. That Mark V looks awesome.

Thanks, Ken. For some reason I keep overlooking the Squall/Rainshodow on the TarpTent pages.
    The Squall 2 as a 1, or occasional 2, person shelter and the Rainshadow 2 as a 1, 2, or occasional 3 person shelter are looking better and better.
    My only concern is wind driven rain blowing under the open ends.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Take a look at my video clip on the RS2 , might give you a better idea of what it looks like with mats inside .
    Note that with the 84" of usable space you can move those mats up or down the tent by about one foot :

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ewi4ever13 View Post
    Hello all,

I am now here to buy a 3 person lightweight tent for backpacking. My budget is $300 and have no real idea where to start looking. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    This one just posted today http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-copper-spur-3
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    My only concern is wind driven rain blowing under the open ends.
    Hi, Wayne,

That Rainshadow could be buttoned down pretty well in a storm - I was more worried about the very large pieces of unsupported silnylon than about rain getting under the canopy. There's a lot of overhang before you hit the floor.

We traded the Rainshadow on a SMD Lunar Duo, which is way better for two people - two doors on the long sides, two big vestibules, way more interior height and usable volume. Now if our daughter ever comes with us, she snags my hammock.

(Sorry for the thread drift.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

No worries. Information is always good.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++