WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Want to do Georgia NB Section Hike in 7 Days

We are planning to do a NB section hike of GA in June. Based on vacation time constraints it has to be 7 days. It's our first section hike but we've done multiday BP trips at 15 miles and day hikes at 20+ miles. Packs will be approx 27 lbs total, unsuppported. What I've mapped out is showing 8 days. Where can add more mileage to reduce a day? Thanks in advance

Monday - SPRINGER to HAWK 7.8 mi

Tuesday - HAWK to GOOCH 8 mi

Wednesday - HAWK to WOODS 20m

Thursday - WOODS to WHITLEY 13m

Friday - WHITLEY to BLUE MNT 12mi

Saturday - BLUE MNT to TRAY 10 mi

Sunday - TRAY to DEEP GAP 8 mi

Monday - DEEP to PLUM ORCHARD 8 mi

Images

It's a very doable schedule. You could break your food weight up by doing a drop box at Neels Gap.

So, can I save a day to combine the first two days or the last two days? I heard the first part of GA is very difficult for most people.

When?

I plan on heading north from Springer starting on the 13th of June.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleSec View Post
    So, can I save a day to combine the first two days or the last two days? I heard the first part of GA is very difficult for most people.
    It all depends on how good a hiking condition you are when you start. For some people it's very doable, for others it would be a death march, for the average okay shape person, somewhere in between.

If you want to do all of GA, you need to either go past the state line or backtrack. The first opportunity to get off north of the state line is at Deep Gap, mile 85.4 so you need to "average" 12.2 miles/day which isn't too bad. There are plenty of campsites in GA, so you don't have to limit yourself just to shelter spacing. Some sites will have water reasonably close, others won't so you'll have to pay attention to that. If you don't already have the AWOL AT Guide, that's what you need to plan with.

Keep in mind that the Woods Hole shelter is in the "forbidden zone" where you need a bear canister to store food in, which is true for the section between Jarrad Gap and Neel Gap. Most camp at Lance Creek, a few miles before the canister zone.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Based upon your resume you should be able to handle GA within a week. There is an error in your schedule posted. You are showing Wednesday at 20 miles, but you have combined the mileage with what you already show for Tuesday. So your Wednesday mileage, Gooch Shelter to Woods Hole Shelter is only 12 miles.

The bear canister restriction is lifted on June 1 so the concern in the post above is not valid. Also, the Whitley Gap Shelter is very nice, but it is also 1.5 miles off the trail. The views to the shelter on Wildcat Mtn are very nice, but if you are looking to cut time don't stay there unless you want to hike 3 extra miles.

IMO it will be easy to cut off a day as long as you are not married to shelters. Springer to Hawk is a cake walk. If you are in shape you should be able to get to the Justus Creek tent pads on day one. But, with that said, from Hawk to Justus Creek is pretty tough and I might argue the toughest back to back climbs you will face in GA.

From Justus Creek you should be able to make it to Woods Hole Shelter on day two, or if you get tired you can stop at Lance Creek tent pads.

That adjustment pretty much makes up a day. But there are plenty of unofficial campsites throughout GA. I would recommend just hiking until your body tells you to stop. Just be sure to fill up on water later in the day with dry campsites in mind. Then just stop at the next nice campsite.

Enjoy your hike!

How are you getting to Springer?
    Approach trail or 42?

Not a big fan of shelters, just wanted some milestones. Also not a fan of bonus miles, so if getting to a shelter means extra miles. I will pass. Thanks for the tips.

Default Want to do Georgia NB Section Hike in 7 Days

Quote Originally Posted by TripleSec View Post
    I would say yes, you can easily hike from Springer to Gooch in one day. I started at Springer at 7:00am and made it to Gooch by 4:00 or so. I assume you are in somewhat good shape, based on your statement that you plan on 20+ mpd.
    The terrain is not that difficult. There is not a lot of negotiating rocks or roots while walking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Deacon; 04-25-2015 at 21:49.

Couple of questions, you say you are limited to 7 days, are you hiking to the Springer Shelter on the Sunday before you begin on Monday? That is a mile in addition to the time it takes to set your shuttle and travel to the Springer parking lot.

Kind of the same thing on the other end, Plumorchard Gap shelter is 4.5 miles past Dicks Creek Gap (Hwy 76) so that either makes that day a short day (helpful if you have to drive back to the Springer parking lot) or a long day (if your goal is Plumorchard and you hike back to hwy 76.

This is one of my favorite resources for these sections since you have the road crossings and the elevations all on one sheet:
    http://joomla.georgia-atclub.org/pub...ap-Profile.pdf

What about:
    Monday: Springer to Justus Creek 12.8 or so
    Tuesday: Justus to Jarrard Gap 13 or so
    Wednesday: Jarrard Gap to Whitley Shelter 12 with the walk to the shelter.
    note: there's not much for about 3 miles on the other side of Hogpen Gap
    Thursday: Whitley to Blue Mountain Shelter 12 ish
    Friday: Blue Mountain to about Addis Gap 13.5 (tough mother of a morning, but once you hit the swag of the blue ridge, you can tick of about 6 miles easily)
    Saturday: Addis Gap to Plumorchard Gap 10 miles (add an 8 mile slack pack to tag the NC state line if you want)
    Sunday: Plumorchard Gap back to Dicks Creek Gap 4.5 miles

Use the map on the previous comment to see how that works for you.

++ New Posts ++