WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'd go Circuit. As said before it's for sure not a 70l pack but is quite large for a lightweight gear list. The pack cinches down just fine for smaller loads in the summer or just stuff everything in loose for a fuller pack. Carries great either way! I'll admit I've never carried the Ohm though, the reason I picked the circuit was for a slightly better frame, slightly larger volume, better durability for just a minimal weight penalty.

Images

The Circuit is more durable? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    The Circuit is more durable? How so?
    I share your doubt given that they are made of the same materials by the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Which one would YOU buy and why? I understand there is a weight difference, but also a difference in the frame/support. I'd like to get some opinions before I bite the bullet and buy one of these.
    I own both packs and the Circuit works better for me. The OHM puts too much pressure on my lower back, causing hip and back pain. I need the support system in the Circuit.

I love the front mesh pocket on the OHM. The one on the Circuit with the bungee is awkward. When I fill the front pocket with my gear, it stretches the bungee to it's max and then creates a narrowing towards the top of the pack, so that the gear in the main compartment, above the bungee, bulges out (I hope that makes sense). The mesh on the OHM has the perfect amount of "give".

I also love the side pockets of the OHM, the elastic is perfect and holds everything in. On the Circuit, you have to adjust the bungees...I often have things fall out when I take my pack off and find this irritating.

If I get motivated, I'm going to put the support frame from the Circuit into the OHM to create the perfect pack for me.

Images

I just bought my wife an Ohm, and it arrived over the weekend...much to her dismay, the front pocket is not a stretchy mesh, but instead a fairly rigid construction. I am not thinking much of anything will fit in it once the pack is filled inside. The body will expand and make the space available in the front pocket disappear. Does anyone have an idea why ULA decided to do such a bonehead design change?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    I just bought my wife an Ohm, and it arrived over the weekend...much to her dismay, the front pocket is not a stretchy mesh,
    Noooooooooooo! That was one of the best features of the Ohm! (And I got it on my Circuit too.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Noooooooooooo! That was one of the best features of the Ohm! (And I got it on my Circuit too.)
    I thought she was going to cry when she saw it. We are very, very disappointed to say the least. It would be the perfect pack for her as she typically carries about 18-20 lbs on our trips. Notice that they have nothing in the pocket for the photo...it's because only skinny stuff will fit now.

I will give a report later. We just got back from a trip yesterday, so my wife is going to transfer her gear over to the Ohm to see how it fits, and to see if the front pocket is useful with the pack full.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Namtrag; 09-21-2015 at 14:51.

Images

Man, I packed that front pocket full of so much crap - I mean, I can barely list it all. Tent, rain shell, wind shirt, pack cover, snow stake, TP, gloves, hat, map and journal, ground sheet, empty sawyer squeese bags, and more that I forget now. The most useful feature on the Ohm, and so glad I got it on my Circuit (R.I.P.) My new Zpacks pack has a nice front pocket, but not the same.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Man, I packed that front pocket full of so much crap - I mean, I can barely list it all. Tent, rain shell, wind shirt, pack cover, snow stake, TP, gloves, hat, map and journal, ground sheet, empty sawyer squeese bags, and more that I forget now. The most useful feature on the Ohm, and so glad I got it on my Circuit (R.I.P.) My new Zpacks pack has a nice front pocket, but not the same.
    I will second that. The front pocket (looks different than the pic so I am assuming you like the one (mesh) that I have). My front pocket normally holds:

Rain Jacket
    Rain Pants
    Ditty bag with FAK
    2 Liter Platypus
    Liquor Bottle
    Ground Sheet (when tarping)
    Gloves
    Beannie
    Other stuff as needed.

I thought she was going to cry when she saw it. We are very, very disappointed to say the least. It would be the perfect pack for her as she typically carries about 18-20 lbs on our trips. Notice that they have nothing in the pocket for the photo...it's because only skinny stuff will fit now.

I will give a report later. We just got back from a trip yesterday, so my wife is going to transfer her gear over to the Ohm to see how it fits, and to see if the front pocket is useful with the pack full.
    I felt the same way when my Ohm arrived, especially since I purchased it over the Circuit that had the mesh with more give in it. However, after using it all spring and summer I am glad it is the way it is. The previous mesh snags and gets holes very easily. It may stretch more but that gain is offset by a loss in durability. The Ohm's front pocket is for items that you need access to on the trail. I still stuff a Rain Jacket, Pants, Windjacket and a small stuff sac with gloves, hat, mittens and balaclava in it. I have yet to fill the pocket or wished I had more capacity. I also was suprised that the side pockets help take the strain off the front mesh. I store my Sawyer Squeeze Kit and Cook Kit in one pocket and a Gatorade Bottle, Dutch Sit pade and a Toiletry sac in the other. I still have the side yellow cord to hold tarps or tents, should I desire. Currently I hammock and throw those in the pack on top of quilts and cloths but under food sack with room to spare. Two smart water bottles on the front straps with the yellow bungee carriers. Don't forget the two front pockets - one holds my pack cover and headlamp. That doesn't leave much for the actual pack! Hold on making a report until after she not only transfers gear but moves it around to find the proverbial perfect "place for everything and everything in it's place". I think she will agree with Syntax99's wife that is pleased with the Ohm she just received.

As for the OP. Everyone has offered great advice. I myself tried on and started with an Ospry Exos 48 to replace an REI Wonderland Trekker External Frame. I then was sold on the Circuit. However, when I completed my list and weighed everything, I found out that I could go with the Ohm. To me, the key is weight. Over 32 Lbs. including food, I would go with the Circuit. Under that weight I would go Ohm. I have not pushed the capacity of the Ohm as of yet. The only concern I have remaining, is the ability of the Ohm to carry a Bear Vault; I have heard some have done it without issues. May or may not be a concern and the only reason I would purchase the Larger Circuit. Either way, not sure you can go wrong and either will go for a fast resale.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I don't think the OHM is designed to carry a bear canister either. If that matters.

Images

Thanks everyone for the responses.

My wife took her gear out of her old pack and transferred it over to the Ohm...the front pocket was pretty disappointing, as she could only fit a few things in it, but overall, she loved the way the pack felt when she put it on, which trumps everything. All her gear will fit easily, and she said she can learn to live without the stretchy pocket. She said she could barely feel the pack when she put it on. She didn't adjust anything the first time except for the load lifters, and the pack fit her great.

I just bought my wife an Ohm, and it arrived over the weekend...much to her dismay, the front pocket is not a stretchy mesh, but instead a fairly rigid construction. I am not thinking much of anything will fit in it once the pack is filled inside. The body will expand and make the space available in the front pocket disappear. Does anyone have an idea why ULA decided to do such a bonehead design change?
    When I recently ordered a CDT it also didn't have the "stretchy mesh" but instead the mesh that I have on my Circuit. I asked Chris about it and he said that the supplier of the stretchy mesh went out of business and they have not been able to find another supplier with a quality product. So they went to the two way mesh used on the Circuit/Catalyst. I expected the stretchy mesh when I ordered by the more rigid mesh has turned out ok so far.

Journal Entries

Yep, without the stretch pocket, its not nearly as big of a pack. I could get about the same in my Ohm as my circuit due to the stretchy mesh. This is a significant blow to the Ohm IMO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yep, without the stretch pocket, its not nearly as big of a pack. I could get about the same in my Ohm as my circuit due to the stretchy mesh. This is a significant blow to the Ohm IMO.
    It is also considerably lighter than the Circuit so at least there is that.

Does anyone know if the ULA circuit holds a bear vault 450 well?

Journal Entries

Bear cans fit vertically

How well depends on what else you have to fit.

A Backpackers Cache dimensions 12" X 8.5" will fit in the Circuit horizontally in the collar. It is tight but will fit.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    A Backpackers Cache dimensions 12" X 8.5" will fit in the Circuit horizontally in the collar. It is tight but will fit.
    Interesting

Must be the smaller ends than middle, the middle ridge must be the 8.5"

By my recollection, my collar laid flat was 19.5" wide, meaning the total perimeter could only be 39". Or i could be mistaken.

For a 12" tall can, the endcap width could only then be anout 15/2=7.5" to still have 39" perimeter. Probably closer to 7 in reality

Only mention so op knows they should easily be able to calculate what fits really.. need enough fabric to go around it if horizontal
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-09-2017 at 02:27.

The specs per the website say that it is 12" X 8.8" I just measured the can and the ends are exactly 8.25". The center is probably as stated as 8.8" I rounded in my post saying 8.5". To fit horizontally I had to insert one end, get it situated then slide the other end in. It was tight but once I figured out how to insert, one end at a time, it went in easy. Inserted it this way daily in 2015 from Kennedy Meadows to South Lake Tahoe (Echo Lake). The attached photos should, I hope, answer any questions. Note that the width of my collar is only 18.5"

IMG_0734.JPGIMG_0735.JPGIMG_0736.JPG
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++