WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default ULA Corcuit or ULA OHM 2.0?

Which one would YOU buy and why? I understand there is a weight difference, but also a difference in the frame/support. I'd like to get some opinions before I bite the bullet and buy one of these.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

I would buy the one designed to haul the weight and volume of gear I anticipate hauling. The answer to this question is entirely dependent on what you are planning to do with it? Is this for weekends, a thru hike of the AT or hiking in area that requires bear cans? etc. etc.

You might consider calling ULA and telling them what you want to do and asking which they suggest, their service is second to none.

Good feedback from Donde. Two years ago my dilemma was between the Catalyst and Circuit. I went with the Catalyst, but since then both my tent and bag have reduced in size and weight. So while I am happy with my Catalyst, if I was to do it right now I would go with the Circuit.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

It's not for a through hike. Right now it would be for trips a week or less. Thinking of section hiking from boiling Springs to Harpers Ferry in the fall. Planning on going with a UL tent which I have yet to purchase, a quilt and insulated pad and canister stove.
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Packs are best purchased last, if possible, ideally tried on in person with your actual gear. ULA makes nice packs. I've tried on the Circuit and Catalyst "just to see", and didn't find them particularly comfortable. That means nothing to you, because we're all different(plenty of people love them), and I can't even pinpoint what it was I didn't care for about them. My criteria includes a suspended mesh back panel for ventilation, so I wouldn't have bought either, anyway. Do pay attention to the specs for the actual packbag, as these are smaller packs than the listed totals imply. The Circuit, for instance, lists at 4200ci/68L *total*, but is actually about a 40L pack. Seems obvious from the specs page, but I've seen people make that very mistake when listing packs they're considering buying.

In general if you want to be able to stay out for a week I would say the Ohm is going to be a bit small; Owen however is absolutely right you are putting the cart before the horse, get your other gear first. If you have the right setup an Ohm may be good for a week trip but only if everything else fits right; a lot of people get a nice UL pack and then hate it and find it uncomfortable because they overload it. A little extra weight is well worth it for adequate suspension to carry your load comfortably. For example I use ULA for most of my needs, but if I am out for a long haul or carrying lots of winter gear, or tons of water I switch to a huge Osprey with great suspension. This is not about getting the better pack is it about getting the right pack for your needs.

Journal Entries

The circuit stripped of accessories weighs minimally more than the Ohm 2.0., maybe 5 oz.

If you are going to be carrying more than 25 pounds very frequently I would go with the Circuit. If you are under 25 pounds most of the time, but just occasionally carrying 25-30 pounds, then the Ohm 2.0 will do.

I own an Ohm 2.0 and find that it's important to keep the waist belt tight enough to keep most of the weight off my shoulders -- though I suppose the same can be said for most packs.

A packing tip for either of these packs: fill the main cylinder full before putting stuff into the mesh pocket. Filling the mesh pocket first will cut down on how much you can get into the main cylinder.
    Last edited by map man; 04-23-2015 at 18:38.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The circuit stripped of accessories weighs minimally more than the Ohm 2.0., maybe 5 oz.
    You can strip down that Ohm as well for the same savings so the 10 oz differential remains pretty much the same.

A larger pack can always be compressed around a smaller load.
    Unfortunately, smaller packs don't come with a built in pack stretcher if your load exceeds the pack's capacity.
    Comparing the Circuit (the largest ULA pack) to the Ohm 2.0 (2 sizes smaller than the Circuit) opens the door to splitting the difference and buying the Catalyst.
    A weeks worth of groceries and clothes for a Fall hike could easily take up more space than your quilt and tent. Get everything together first. Then shop for a pack.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A larger pack can always be compressed around a smaller load.
    Unfortunately, smaller packs don't come with a built in pack stretcher if your load exceeds the pack's capacity.
    Comparing the Circuit (the largest ULA pack) to the Ohm 2.0 (2 sizes smaller than the Circuit) opens the door to splitting the difference and buying the Catalyst.
    A weeks worth of groceries and clothes for a Fall hike could easily take up more space than your quilt and tent. Get everything together first. Then shop for a pack.

Wayne
    Actually the Circuit is their mid sized pack.
    I find the Circuit huge for my kit and I am no where ultra light.
    The decision for me was based on the future need of a bear can.
    If I were to hike in cold weather the extra size will be nice but I tend to hike in the shoulder seasons and don't need bulky clothes.

OOPS! Sorry. It was too early for analytical thought.
    I would still err on the side of slightly greater volume for those times when the weather or trip length dictate more stuff in my pack.
    "It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I would say if you don't know, then get the Circuit. I have owned both, and sold the Ohm for a second Circuit (my hiking partner has the first one). The Ohm seems similar but for me the total weight really had to be at 25 pounds or less -- and with 5 or 6 days of food and a liter of water that means, for me, a 10-12 pound base weight.

If you already have a 10 pound base, then go for the Ohm.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I admit I am a bit of a gear nut, but a pack is one place where having multiple, or at least two, can make sense. I am ordering an OHM 2.0 as my primary pack, but I also have a REI Flash 62 for when I need more room. This can include group hikes where I am going with friends and therefore a) not going as far and b) want to carry more luxury items. This can also include longer trips out (7-10 days) and colder weather camping where I am carrying heavier and bulkier equipment.

As a "one sized fits all" pack, I would say the Circuit is probably going to fit more types of trips than the OHM 2.0, but if your trips tend to use the same gear each time and the OHM 2.0 works...

(This ignores an old Gregory Forrester, the REI Flash 45, and numerous day-pack sized packs floating in my equipment room).
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Do pay attention to the specs for the actual packbag, as these are smaller packs than the listed totals imply. The Circuit, for instance, lists at 4200ci/68L *total*, but is actually about a 40L pack. Seems obvious from the specs page, but I've seen people make that very mistake when listing packs they're considering buying.
    Is the Circuit really only a 40L pack? That is surprising to me.

Thanks

Images

Thanks for the input guys. I was also eyeing the new Osprey Atmos 50, but that is a much heavier pack and I was trying to reduce weight and as far as price, the ULA is very comparable if not less expensive depending on the model. I will hold off on the pack and gather the rest of my gear first. That sounds like sound advice.
    ~Brian

-- L.M. Montgomery

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselook Marty View Post
    Is the Circuit really only a 40L pack? That is surprising to me.

Thanks
    No its not really a 40L pack, but Owen is right its not really a 68L pack either.

ULA's 2400ci number comes out to 39.3L for the main packbag, but my impressions were that its capacity was similar to the Exos 46 I had at the time(noticeably roomier than my newer Exos 38), and comparable with most 45-50L packs. Guess it kind of remakes the point that you need to try them in person.

Images

There really isn't a huge difference in suspension between the packs. The Circuit comes with an additional stay (removable) but it really isn't that stiff. I can easily bend it with one hand. It does have an external backpad, however. I have used both packs and contend that both have the same carry load and that the stay really makes very little difference. The Circuit is larger, however and if you are packing a light, larger volume load, this may be the better choice. Personally, I would choose the OHM as it is lighter, compresses much, much better (I don't think there is a better compression system on the market currently) and it large enough.

The OHM 2.0 is really the reincarnation of the early version of the Circuit which weighed just under 2lbs.

If you decide to go with the Ohm check out the Gossamer Gear Gorilla before you buy. I bought both and returned the Ohm. The Gorilla is an awesome pack. Some people are put off because it does not have load lifters but, given this packs design, you don't need them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++