WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stop the Air Matress "Ice Skating"?

So I searched and found no answers. I can't be the only one... can I? I have a Big Agnes Air Core and a Kelty Cosmic 20 Down bag. I toss and turn at night, apparently, and I slide all over the tent. No big deal unless its wet out and then I let the moisture in through the walls when I make contact. Thought about just some velcro on the floor and pad. Couple small pieces to keep me in place. Any other suggestions?

People have luck with some stripes of silicone (like the same type you would seal your tent with) on both the floor of your tent, and the back side of the air mattress.

I knew I would have this problem. I destroy the bed arrangement at home. The only thing that works for me is the sleeve in a Big Agnes bag. Big Agnes bags are heavy relative to some other companies at the same rating. There is zero chance the pad would stay under me in any other system. Therefore, it is Big Agnes bag and Exped UL7 for me.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I too am an active sleeper. I solved the pad-sliding-on-silnylon-floor issue by using a Gossamer Gear 1/8 inch closed cell pad section between the floor and my Thermarest. The sticky nature of the GG pad keeps everything from slipping plus I use the GG pad as a sit pad, wind block for my canister stove, etc. Very handy, multipurpose item.

I have painted stripes of silicone on the floor of our tent and the bottom of my sleeping pad when resealing the seams on the tent. It helps some. It was enough for me.

I'd be a big fat liar if I told you that it solves all woes with pad skidding because it doesn't.

Soft kitchen drawers liners. Also found in mechanic tool box drawer liners to keep tools from sliding. Can be bought in rolls and cut to length. Roll it up in your mat for safe keeping.

I have a weekend trip to Big Bend on May 8th so I will have a chance to try some of this out. Think Im going to try out my brilliant (IMHO) idea regarding velcro. When and if that fails miserably, I like the idea of soft drawer liner. Seems to make sense short of the extra weight. Honestly though I dont focus on ounces quite like that. Otherwise, it sounds like the silicone isn't the end all solution Im hoping for yet. I will let you know how this plays out. Thanks for the input.

Sierra Designs back country bed sleeping bag allows you to slide your mattress in the sleeve below the bag. No more sliding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silicone stripes work great for my active sleep style. I went one step further, and not only striped the tent floor, but also on both sides of my pad. It keeps the pad from sliding on the floor and my bag from sliding on the pad.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

So I found some Dycem Self Adhesive Strips. Apparently they are used for improving grip for folks in physical therapy and other such applications. Anybody with experience? Im going to try them regardless but thought I would ask...

Quote Originally Posted by life scout View Post
    Soft kitchen drawers liners. Also found in mechanic tool box drawer liners to keep tools from sliding. Can be bought in rolls and cut to length. Roll it up in your mat for safe keeping.
    This, and it doesn't have to be the full size of your pad to be effective either. Or you can cut one to be the full size of your pad and then make cut-outs in the areas with less contact to lower the weight. Much like the Klymt Inertia X - pad concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Silicone stripes work great for my active sleep style. I went one step further, and not only striped the tent floor, but also on both sides of my pad. It keeps the pad from sliding on the floor and my bag from sliding on the pad.
    What style of pad do you use?

I'm using the REI Stratus inflatable in a long wide. Not the lightest, but it fit my budget, as well as my wide shoulders. I'm very happy with it.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

++ New Posts ++