WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I had a knee injury that forced some serious weight reduction. I read Ray Jardine's book and that worked for me. I didn't follow his appoach completely, just too what worked for me. My 3 season base weigh is about 8 pounds right now. Swap in a warmer sleeping bag and some cold weather clothing, and I think 12 pounds base would be possible. I don't have any cuben fiber or titanium, but that will change eventually. That said pushing your the limits of pack weight during winter might result in a Darwin Award. If you want light, hiker the warmer months and if you don't make it 2190 miles that year, go back and finish later.

Images

I am 56, had knee surgery a few years ago and surgery on lower back last October 2014. Have been out with 52 lbs and 24 lbs, food and water included, no comparison. Cost more, yes, but this is my hobby!

The wear and tear on my body is a LOT LESS, when I pick up peoples' packs which are at 35+ they feel like lead weights to me.

5 months post surgery my friend and I hiked from Springer to Franklin in 8 1/2 days. Best daily average every.......in part due to a pack that was 24 lbs or so vs 32.

Don't forget the 6 Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent at 24 ounces (without 6 stakes and uses one trekking pole) for $245 factory seam sealed or $215 not seam sealed. It's my choice so far out of all the 1+ person lightweight tents available for a reasonable price. I personally don't consider the ZPacks tents reasonably priced.

I save on weight, without sacrifice in comfort, with a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 and a Cascade Designs XTherm XS.

I think the Six Moon Designs Deschutes tarp, for shelter, is a luxury camp excellent value

I use a Bug Baffler head net with a baseball cap or a visor. I have gloves. I have shortie stretch gaitors.

I wear long stretch bicycling tights and a long sleeves vented nylon fisherman shirt.

I like my Ti Goat Bug Bivy, that keep everything tucked in, with me, for the night.

I really don't need an interior mesh tent for bug crawlies or insects.

The ZPacks™ Bathtub Groundsheet / Tent Floor in twin-size with hood for a poncho, as well, if long-lasting wet weather is anticipated. I still think the LightHeart Gear Rain Hoodie is desireable for hiking in the brief rain storms we get in Montana.
    Last edited by Connie; 06-03-2015 at 08:25.

Quote Originally Posted by soulrebel View Post
    I'd break the trail into two or three sections. Like SPringer to Harpers, then Harpers to home, then home to Katahdin.
    Doing it this way you get three adventures for the price of one (well, not literally.) I did two sections for the PCT. So it was two big adventures.

Before my 2nd half of the PCT I went through all the things in my pack that survived the first half (you wouldn't believe how much crap I sent home in the first hundreds of miles, plus all the things I replaced with lighter stuff.) With what was left, I examined every individual item and asked myself how can I make this item lighter? Can I replace it? Can I modify it? Make it smaller? Can I make it dual use and eliminate something else? I managed to remove another 9lbs from my stuff this way.

I did stuff like replaced the lid on my MSR pot with that bendy aluminum. I made a pepsi can stove with one of those 6oz cans. I found tiny bottles and put my toiletries, bug spray etc in them instead of the larger ones they came in. (I'm talking like Visine-sized little tiny bottles.) I eliminated stuff sacks, extra clothing (ended up with not enough clothing actually because you need to wear something on laundry day). Used a trash bag for a pack cover instead of a real one (worked great, no punctures even in heavy brush). Stuff like that. The ounces and grams really added up. Then it was all too small for my pack so I got a way lighter pack.

I even did stupid stuff like hike through Washington without a rain jacket. Just an umbrella and rain chaps and a Houdini which isn't water resistant at all. You can't sit down in rain chaps and umbrellas don't work very well when you're being slapped in the face all day by wet bushes. I survived though. As soon as I bought a rain poncho it stopped raining. I now have a Z-packs cuben rain jacket and don't need to carry a wind breaker anymore and actually, with my hiking shirt and a pair of fleece sleeves as arm warmers, I really don't need a puffy jacket, either.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Footwear is the best place to cut weight if you have bad knees. That's speaking from experience.

Default Season Pack Weights?

I recently spent a lot of money to get lighter gear and I'm interested in what your base weights are for Winter versus 3 Season? The averages would help me know a relative goal to aim for.

The Feb start will invariably cause your pack weight to go up some (additional clothing & winter-rated bag). As long are you're ok w/ that, continue w/ your planned start. As the weather warms up, your cold weather stuff is replaced w/ warmer weather stuff & you pack weight could easily get down at or near your target base weight (10 lbs).

Some ultralight equipment/clothing is expensive (titanium, cuben fiber, etc). Some is not (cat food stove, parkay tub as a bowl, Imusa 12 cm pot, etc). Given your start time of Feb, you might need a pack larger than the Zpack Blast pack. An ULA Circuit pack would probably be an appropriate size (I own both). A 15-deg down sleeping bag (quilt if you don't toss & turn @ night) would be a bare minimum. Probably need closer to a 0-deg bag/quilt in the beginning. Given your start, a Thermarest X-Therm sleeping pad would work (keep your warm while being very light). If I had the money, I'd splurge on the Zpacks Duplex 2 person tent (20 oz). Lightweight & appears to be much more storm proof than my Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus. You could grab the Imusa 12 cm pot @ Walmart for a couple of bucks. Fashion your a tinfoil lid & you're set (or go for a titanium pot from Evernew or Snowpeak; I use the Evernew 0.9L pot & love it). A cat food stove or one of the derivatives (Zelph's Fancee Feast stove is what I used) would keep your stove weight to a minimum. With your early start, traction devices for your shoes - MicroSpikes - would be appropriate. It adds a pound or so on your pack weight. But, it will prevent falls & possible hike-ending injuries. Hiking poles help save your knees. Lots of good brands to choose from - Black Diamond, Leki, REI, etc.

FYI - this is a link to my equipment & resupply system I used on my 2013 AT hike. It worked for me. It wasn't as light as the target weights you are shooting for. But, it'll give you some ideas: http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=41898
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Great review and opinions CarlZ993. Well worth clicking the link!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++