WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Camera for a Thru Hike

What cameras are you taking on the thru hike. Which ones do you already have. What is the best.

If I don't say it, ten other people will (and might anyway): if you have a smartphone, perhaps that's the only camera you need, unless you have some specific need/use in mind.

Smartphone has been my camera on all of my longer trips, and it's excellent, particularly more modern smartphones. Not so good for long distance shots or action (wildlife in motion), but for most of what I want, excellent.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I would want more camera than a smart phone but cameras will take a beating on the trail. I killed a Cannon S95 (great little camera) lens fault. It seems to be a trade off between durability and good pictures.

Is no one taking a camera to get movies of their hike. I am retiring and want this documented for my kids to enjoy.

Im not a thru hiker but where I wrapped duct tape on one of my poles I put a GoPro Hero 3+ with the handle bar mount. Works great. Sound is really crappy but its waterproof, takes pics, vids, timelapse. Very durable. Full 1080 HD video and you can do slow motion on them too.

Quote Originally Posted by dbright View Post
    Is no one taking a camera to get movies of their hike. I am retiring and want this documented for my kids to enjoy.
    Pretty much any camera today will do video. It may not be HD and it will fill up your memory card quick, but to do short videos (panoramas are good to do as video) it would suffice.

High end smart phones like the iPhones take amazingly good pictures. The little $20 smart phone I just bought only has a 3 meg camera in it, so I'll bring my little Samsung 16 meg shirt pocket camera along too.

The main thing is you want a camera which you can access quickly. You don't want to have to stop and remove your pack to fish out the camera. If you have to do that, you'll miss all the critter pictures and won't bother to photo a lot other interesting things as it's too much trouble.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

To me the #1 item to consider is buying a camera that it is waterproof.
    On my 75 thru attempt I happily licked the shutter for most of NY/NJ unaware that the camera had died due to nearly constant rain. I ruined a digital camera the same way a few years ago.
    My current camera for hiking is a Nikon Coolpix. Supposedly shockproof and waterproof, it got a good test on a hike yesterday that would have killed a lot of cameras.
    'Twas a good test of raingear in general.

Im looking at thruhiking 3000km on the te araroa trail at some point. Definitely going to pick up something like the olympus tg3 for it. Waterproof, shockproof and takes nice photos. Sure, it weighs more than a phone, and doesnt serve as many functions, but to me, documenting trips is important, and worth the extra weight.

That said, Im young, strong and dumb when it comes to weight, so Im sure you ultralighters out there will look long and hard at weights of cameras, or doing without. Whereas to me, an extra few hundred grams is nothing.

Images

Any video camera that has all these features: good video quality even in low light, good sound quality, lightweight, waterproof (to some degree at least) ?

For videos Gopro now has a newer intro camera for only $130. It comes in a permanent waterproof case. Its strictly a rechargeable battery, which kinda sucks but oh well. I got it to document my sobo15' thruhike

I'm taking an old Fujifilm compact I have for the sole reason that it uses AA batteries. Last thing I want is my camera dying when I need it. If the batteries die and I don't have spares, that's my own stupid fault.

If I was buying one, I'd go for a AA battery Coolpix.

Unless you are selling photos or not capable of properly caring for electronics in inclement weather, carrying anything more than a smartphone makes no practical sense. Most people buy expensive cameras and never take them out of their "auto mode", which will result in a picture not that much better than a good smartphone will produce. Keep the resolution down too if you aren't going to enlarge. 3-4 MP is plenty. GoPro if you must, since it is durable but only for that reason.

I'm fighting with this as well because as an avid tographer I really want to bring my Nikon on my 2017 thru hike

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Unless you are selling photos or not capable of properly caring for electronics in inclement weather, carrying anything more than a smartphone makes no practical sense. Most people buy expensive cameras and never take them out of their "auto mode", which will result in a picture not that much better than a good smartphone will produce. Keep the resolution down too if you aren't going to enlarge. 3-4 MP is plenty. GoPro if you must, since it is durable but only for that reason.
    Ive been wondering about the use of GoPro on the trail, I have one and definitely want to bring some camera on the trail next year. is it not much better than a regular camera or? Figure with the waterproof case itd be pretty handy.

I took the Olympus TG860 camera on the AT for 5 days last week and took many pictures and movies. This is a wonderful camera and really took great pictures.

To anyone that has thru hike before have you seen many/any DSLR's on the trail. I'm contemplating bringing mine on my thru hike and would like other people's opinion as to the sacrifice of the weight 6-10lbs

I often carry a Nikon D3100 when hiking or a Canon 60D. I would consider it a great small, lightweight DSLR (the D3100, the 60D is large) I don't know what the D3100 weighs but it's a hell of a lot less than my D700.

If I was buying a camera for hiking today it would probably be the Canon EOS SL1. It weighs hardly anything and will take excellent photos. The kit lens it comes with is excellent too. I'm a photo snob though so I can't imagine documenting an important hike on just a cell phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am waiting for Shutterbug to jump in on this. I know I am doing it wrong. I am using a Canon xsi.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Well from one photo snob to another I'm contemplating taking my d810 and 24-70/2.8 totals out about 5 lbs between the 2x... I'm so tossed up about it but I have a lot of time to think and plan. Also alot of time to see what the tech in mirror less does because right now nothing compares in capability to the 810

Images

If I was going to take a full fledged DSLR, I would suggest obtaining a "used" camera. ADORAMA, B&H Photo, and KEH all have a "used" department that can be accessed through the web. I have a "beater" ( its actually in very nice condition ) Canon Rebel XS that I picked up for approx 100 bucks. Relatively lite for a DSLR ( 24 oz w/ lens, battery ), and if it gets damaged or stolen, it won't be the end of the world. I have purchased the majority of my stuff from Adorama's used department. All three have a good reputation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++