WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Chaco Sandals vs others. Also size 15 hiking boot experiences

I dont do much hiking at present but use Chaco Sandals almost daily. I havent seen much reference to them here. So far they are much better at holding up than another brand I once used. Just wondering if you have used Chaco's on hikes.

Also having a hard time finding hiking boots in size 15. I have Vasque Breeze GTX but use them sparingly. What is your opinion of them and does anyone else have size 15 hiking boots they have experience using?

I wear my chacos when ever I can. They do hold up great hiking and they work great with socks if you don't have the toe loop. I even wear them in the snow and find my feet quite warm in mid weight socks. As far as the AT, i plan to
    my chacos and some trail runners. I believe it's worth the weight.

I can't comment on hiking in Chacos, but I wouldn't recommend them as camp shoes. They are extremely heavy. Heavier in fact than the trail runners I hike in. Taking Chacos as camp shoes is adding an unnecessary extra 1 1/2 to your pack.

Example: I use Teva mush flip flops as camp shoes 7.4 ounces per pair size 12. REI lists the Chaco Unaweep sandal as having an average weight of 2 pounds!

Had 2 pair of Tevas. Both were short lived. They had come aparts and I was just using them casually and on float trips.

I wouldnt carry Chacos for camp shoes either. But I might carry them as a backup hiking shoe and camp shoe.

Still looking to see recs on a good size 15 hiking boot

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    I can't comment on hiking in Chacos, but I wouldn't recommend them as camp shoes. They are extremely heavy. Heavier in fact than the trail runners I hike in. Taking Chacos as camp shoes is adding an unnecessary extra 1 1/2 to your pack.

Example: I use Teva mush flip flops as camp shoes 7.4 ounces per pair size 12. REI lists the Chaco Unaweep sandal as having an average weight of 2 pounds!

Whenever I hike in my Chacos I get debris wedged between the sandal and my foot too often to tolerate on a long term basis. On a two hour dayhike, I can take it. On a two thousand mile hike, no way.

Can't speak to size 15 - I'm a 9.

Best socks with hiking / walking shoes in the summer in NC on the AT? I understand that wool socks are best and to avoid cotton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did 1300 miles in my chaco sandals on the AT. They are very durable AND comfortable. I wear the unaweep style with DarnTough socks. Just got my first pair back from a resole/restrap. I carried my shoes for 300 thinking I may need them again, but it was all for nothing. I do get debris at times, but mostly going downhill. It's easy to get out most of the time without bending over.

I don't know if I'd pay $100+ for a pair of sandles, but if they are worth it maybe later. I did a bit of looking and i found if you go direct to the makers sites they have the larger sizes.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/home

I wear size 15 in Keen Targhees they do well for me but don't last real long. Maybe 800-1000 miles.

Merrell Moab ventilators come in both low and high top, also come in a GTX version and are readily available in size 15 at least from REI. They are one of the most popular light hiking shoes/boots on the market and as such, in the case of REI, are also one of the only shoes that most stores stock in 15.

I have 3 pairs of Chaco sandals and love them for canoeing and portaging. Find them on sale and they're an amazing value.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Whenever I hike in my Chacos I get debris wedged between the sandal and my foot too often to tolerate on a long term basis. On a two hour dayhike, I can take it. On a two thousand mile hike, no way.

Can't speak to size 15 - I'm a 9.
    I had a similar experience. I wear Chaco's several days a week in town comfortably. When I went backpacking overnight, it was uncomfortable and I got hot spots. Still wear Chaco's on short day hikes.

Images

There are many who hike in sandals, but fewer who will do a long distance hike in sandals. With that, the trail can be hiked in any footware... As long as it is comfortable for you. I used to use Chacos but have since discovered my Keen H2Os work better for me. I will often hike in my Keens, and even do short backpacking trips wearing them.

You had mentioned wearing Chacos daily, but there is a slight difference between daily wear and how comfortable they feel when you are wearing a loaded pack. Different shoes are made for different activities and some may not feel that hiking in sandals (with a pack) is as comfortable as everyday use. Give it a go and see if that still works for you. If so, then awesome! If not, then at least you still have the chance to come up with another plan for footware.

Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    I have 3 pairs of Chaco sandals and love them for canoeing and portaging. Find them on sale and they're an amazing value.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I used the closed Chaco Outcross Evo watershoes with Darn Tough socks for portaging this year in the Boundary Waters, and they worked out great.

Quote Originally Posted by cycle003 View Post
    I used the closed Chaco Outcross Evo watershoes with Darn Tough socks for portaging this year in the Boundary Waters, and they worked out great.
    Oops, I meant to add that I would not really want to backpack long distances in them, though. They do dry fast, but they aren't as comfortable to me as hiking shoes/boots.

I used the Chacos in July, mostly on grass, 12 to 15 hour work days at a festival, basically to keep cool, and because they dry quick, what with the wet grass. At the end of the day socks and boots felt like heaven. The Chacos and Tevas are prone to get stinky.

The only time I have been bitten by a snake was when I was wearing Chacos. I was on a day hike with 12 water crossings---I had taken boots off ---waded across wearing my Chacos---and put boots on again 12 times that day. After the last one, I was only 1/2 mile from the end, so I left my sandals on. The sudden sting as I hiked along the trail made me think initially that I had disrupted some yellow jackets, as often happens in late summer in GA, but my hiking companions came along later and said, " Did you see the snake?". Sure enough, two puncture wounds on the side of my foot. I love my Chacos and I wear them often, but I don't wear them for hiking anymore.

For hiking maintained trails with rocks I prefer Keens with their toe bumper protection over both Chacos and Tevas. The Tevas and Chacos are other activity sandals for me. Too many split toes and toe nails jammed twigs between toes, etc to rec anything other than Keens for hiking in rocky environs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    For hiking maintained trails with rocks I prefer Keens with their toe bumper protection over both Chacos and Tevas. . .
    Last fall I backpacked in the White Mountains for three days with my Chaco sanddles (the ones with the toe loop) because I was having foot problems and the Chacos were the only footwear I could walk in at the time. I was stunned at how well they worked on the rocky insanity that is the White Mountains. They stuck out in front of my toes enough that I didn't once stub any toes. They held my feet more securely that any of my shoes do, so my feet weren't sliding around inside the sandals causing instability. And the Vibrum soles on them provided good traction and stiffness for all the insane amount of rock-hopping I did.

I was extremely impressed with them on the rocks!

P.S. Why is it I find myself seeming to always have just the opposite opinion or experience of Dogwood lately? Really, it's nothing personal. I often don't even notice the author of the post I'm replying to until after the fact. I guess it's just a good example of HYOH?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++