WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default tyveck Vs Polycro

Hello to all.

I need to make another ground cover for my tarp tent and trying to shave weight vs function.

I do use a ground cover and it has been tyvek before. I use it for the tarp tent, and for sleeping in the shelters.

I know polycro is lighter but will it stand up to abuse for a month on the trail?

Can it be made from a window cover kit say from a hardware store? I know mountain laurel or gossamer gear sells this as well.

I know it is lighter but if it is too flimsy I gotta get some more tyveck.

Any opinions?

Any are appreciated and very helpful and welcome.

Floyd

Polycro is crazy durable for what it looks like. I keep thinking I'll need to replace it but it has yet to puncture or tear.

Images

It is the same stuff you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. Buy the kit ( I think the name is Storm King or something like that) that is for a pair of doors and cut it to fit. I cut mine with a heat knife or soldering gun- it seems to make the edge stronger. It is very light but it holds up well. I still use a 2ft x 2ft piece of tyvek for a "door mat".

Journal Entries

I woulnt use it under tent, only in shelters. Tyvek is more durable if you spend a lot of time in shelters.

Images

I've used Polycryo for years now for all uses: under tent floors, in shelters, as ground cloth when using a tarp. Generally a sheet of polycryo lasts for a couple of seasons before a few small holes may appear.

This past summer, I used polycryo with my Hexamid Plus tarp on the John Muir Trail in the High Sierras. Due to the fact that much of the camping was on granite, or granite sand, I doubled up, using two layers. Those two sheets lasted for 24 days of hiking in some pretty hostile sites.

The one problem with Polycryo, due to how light it is, and that I think would be less of an issue with Tyvek, is trying to lay it out in breezy conditions, can be a bit of a challenge. A few shoes, stuff sacks, and rocks properly placed solves the problem.

Journal Entries

Minor polycro issue, but it can be hard to tell which side is the "dirty" side you use against shelter floor, and whats the "clean" side you want to sleep on. If you cant keep it consistent, why bother. Mouse droppings and urine are teo of my least favorite sleeping companions.

Images

+++ on Polycro. I swaped out my 5 oz tyvek groundsheet for 1.7 oz. Polycro. Also, easy to clean if muddy. Good move for me....

I've used tyvek six times and polycro only a half a dozen ... I can't figure it all out ...

I switched from tyvek to a single layer of 2mil plastic painters drop cloth for my JMT hike last year. Like Lyle, I used it in some rough campsites, both under my tent and under my pad when cowboy camping. It lasted for my hike, plus it has another 20 nights use since then on the volcanic rocks and pumice that is Maui. Good stuff... Lighter than tyvek, and at $3 for a 9'x12' at my local home depot, cheaper too.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I used polycro and one sheet made it 1300 or so miles on the PCT with only one small tear. Another sheet finished the trail. They come in a 2-pack for $5 from Gossamer Gear so there you go.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

When I cut out my window film I wrote "Top" to help make laying it out easier and faster. On the plus side I always know which side is up!

Thanks folks,

Looking to shave weight any way I can.

Will have to look into it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!!

Best,
    Floyd

++ New Posts ++