WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Well, I suppose any trail is better than none, but my first reaction was one that was also expressed in the article as well
    While one might not consider the Great Plains ideal hiking, especially coming from the vast mountains of Colorado, there is a lot of scenery to be considered.
    2000 miles of sunflowers, corn, wheat, and scrub prairie? I get that it goes through some scenic spots, but there's an awful lot of mostly farmland and where there isn't it's dry open range in between.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I haven't gotten to listen to it yet, but I know that The Trail Show featured the Great Plains Trail as their "trail of the month" on this month's podcast.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Wouldn't be too bad on a bike. I wouldn't see the point of hiking the plains.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    Wouldn't be too bad on a bike. I wouldn't see the point of hiking the plains.

It would be interesting to experience hiking for 5-10 miles without having multiple climbs and descents. Wonder what that feels like? What do they call a road crossing out there? - certainly not a notch or a gap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Well, I suppose any trail is better than none, but my first reaction was one that was also expressed in the article as well 2000 miles of sunflowers, corn, wheat, and scrub prairie? I get that it goes through some scenic spots, but there's an awful lot of mostly farmland and where there isn't it's dry open range in between.
    Trudging up and down mountains (tall hills mostly) all day in a green tunnel where a person can only see 40 or 50 yards on either side. I get it that there are some spots that have a decent view now and then……..

Thank goodness that we don't have only one definition scenic.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
    Trudging up and down mountains (tall hills mostly) all day in a green tunnel where a person can only see 40 or 50 yards on either side. I get it that there are some spots that have a decent view now and then……..

^ This. I feel bad for people who only see beauty in big mountains. What a short-sighted view.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Some of the more amazing experiences in my life were the times that I have been on a boat well out of sight of land, where all we could see in any direction was endless water. People who have been to the great plains describe the experience there as being similar but with a sea of grass. It is something that I very much hope to see one day.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    It would be interesting to experience hiking for 5-10 miles without having multiple climbs and descents. Wonder what that feels like? What do they call a road crossing out there? - certainly not a notch or a gap.
    Try the Florida Trail. Flat as can be.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

In the mountains you almost always have to earn your vista by hiking long stretches of green tunnel and claustrophobic woods and forest. On the plains you hike and live inside the vista 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You are not on the outside looking in, you are on the inside looking out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    ^ This. I feel bad for people who only see beauty in big mountains. What a short-sighted view.
    Guilty as charged - somewhat. I've traveled to several of the areas that the proposed trail would traverse. The major scenic areas it travels through are quite beautiful. And the open plain has its own unique beauty. But just because the open plain has its own unique beauty doesn't make me want to hike through it necessarily. It conjures up images walking exposed in the hot sun over dry land and small hills between farm fields or grazing lands for weeks on end. I have my own preferences when it comes to what I want to experience when hiking. And yes, mountains, trees, streams, etc are all part of that experience. Lots of road walks, farm fields, and grazing lands aren't part of those preferences. I realize that other's may find that experience desirable. I've met people from the east who don't like the the openness of the western US, and vice-versa, western folks who feel closed in in the eastern forests and hills. To each his own.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I'll stick to the green tunnel and occasional mountain vistas, thank you very much. I'm sure there are some very nice and interesting places to visit in the Great Plains but to do a long hike through there? No thanks. I'm defiantly one of those from the east who doesn't like the wide open spaces of the west.

But regardless of my feelings, no doubt there would be people willing to through hike this as it would pose it's own unique challenges. Like how not to be burnt to a crisp by the sun or not be blown away to Oz in a tornado
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GAME 06

I think it is a great idea. But it will be very hard to accomplish.

I grew up in Wyoming and lived in Virginia for about 25 years. I see both sides of the open spaces/closed in views. I always felt closed in in the east - but it is Green too!! I love the wide open spaces and mountains of the west too.

And I must admit that there is a draw for me in the Great Emptiness as that is what I think of Great Plains. I would get a kick out of walking across it. But then I also get a kick out of walking around the desert of Arizona and that can be the nastiest place. Some hiking is for beauty and some is to prove you can do it? Hmm maybe a trail across the Outback - 1000 miles without needing to make a turn.

Images

They should call it the Keystone Pipeline Trail.

Images

I've hiked across eastern Colorado and Kansas. I enjoyed it. Very different experience than the great mountains out west or the lush forests of the east. I agree some folks may prefer to bicycle this area, but hiking it also has rewards that are unique to that experience.

I would hike this trail.

Here is a blog of someone who did hike most of the proposed XL pipeline route. LINK: http://www.kenilgunas.com/p/walking-keystone-xl.html Ken is an interesting guy--lived in a van to save money while getting his master's degree.

We could use more trails that cater to long distance biking!

Is there a coast to coast trail? We have several great trails that run north to south (or south to north) but what about cross country? Pardon me if this was answered before. I'd like to see a Rt 66 type of National trail that stretches from Atlantic to Pacific.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    Is there a coast to coast trail? We have several great trails that run north to south (or south to north) but what about cross country? Pardon me if this was answered before. I'd like to see a Rt 66 type of National trail that stretches from Atlantic to Pacific.
    The American Discovery Trail. As with many of these "works in progress trails", a lot of planned but yet to be built actual trail, with lots of long road walks in between sections that exist. It's more a route than what many would call a trail.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 05-01-2015 at 11:39.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++