WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hoka - Trail shoes and Others

I have seen some old posts on Hoka's? Wonder if anyone has done a thru-hike with them and what the recommendation is?

also, if any non-Hoka fans, then what shoe is the highly recommended trail shoe that is light and has a lot of cushion to help on the shins and joints?

If interested in Hokas, you might want to wait a few months. Hoka is coming out with hiking specific shoes this fall.

thanks and great to hear that. I like the cushion in the heels but worry about the stability as the shoe seems to set your center of gravity higher.

Salomon Quest or XA Pro 3D's have good cushion. So do Salewa Alp Flow.

For a stiffer last, Lowa Renegades.

I've section-hiked in Hoka trail runners, and I'm planning to do my thru in them. Don't find them any less stable than other trail running shoes, and they are proven by many thousands of runners competing in 100 mile races on tough trails.

But obviously, as with any footwear, it is important to find a brand+model that fits *your* feet, and to build up the mileage & pack weight gradually.

Sodium...which model of Hoka's are you using? And did you see the post that they are to come out with more of a hiking shoe in a few months<

I've been running (& hiking) in the old Stinson Evo model, and I've just got the much lighter Challenger ATR model, but haven't had a chance to do big miles in it yet.

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2015/01...es-hiking.html

The new hiking-specific models look interesting, but I like hiking in trail runners - personally I don't feel the need for a over-ankle boot for something like the AT.

http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/...lympus-15-mens

I still prefer the Lone Peak, but if you want moonwalking cush...

I bought some Hoke One-Ones for my Long Trail hike. Outstanding for cushioning. Horrible for traction. I bought a pair because the guy I mostly hike with already had some and we were both sliding all over the place.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I wore two pair Hoka Stinsons for about the first 800 miles of my sobo.

Very light, stable and unbelievable cushoning. Traction on wet rocks was an issue.

Biggest critisism: Not durable. I destroyed a new pair just in PA alone.

Replaced them with a pair of Cascadia 8s. Best choice that I made. Accuracy of foot placement improved, better stability, comfort, traction and durability. Managed a 1,000 miles out of one pair.

Best of luck.

++ New Posts ++