WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hawk vittles

Default Hawk vittles

Has anyone used Hawk Vittles? They look/sound good but seem a little pricey.
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Images

I have previously purchased food from Hawk Vittles. Always enjoyed the food and thought it much better that most other commercial options. Plus I personally have found that the single serving was more than enough food for.

As far as cost, keep in mind that probably more so than any other, I have always assumed that it was just a small one man operation and that the pricing reflected the scale of business.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I agree that the single serving is aplenty. I have gone to them exclusively for my "store bought" meals, the last few years. They have the stuff I like and there tends to have less packaging than some. Pack-it Gourmet is another fine place to get Trail meals, you might want to look them over as well.

Good stuff. The single meals are too much when first starting a trip. The double meals we've taken on week long canoe trips and STILL have trouble finishing them (feeding two). So advice would be....don't snack after say 2 PM. By 6 or so, hope you are hungry enough to finish one!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I'll add my vote for Hawk Vittles. I find the single serving meals to be plenty to eat, to the point of forcing the last few bits sometimes, then again food is a very individual thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisoc View Post
    Has anyone used Hawk Vittles? They look/sound good but seem a little pricey.
    Kind of curious pricey compared to what? Looking at prices on the manufactures websites the single serving size appears to be a similar price compared to packit gourmet or a mountain house meal (though MH are supposed to be 2.5 servings?)

Images

It is pricey. It's also worth every penny. Wonderful food, and huge servings. I recall sitting against a tree up at Jerry Cabin Shelter, in my raingear, with cold drizzle coming down. The Cowboy Pasta was, at that point, one of the best thing I'd ever tasted. Some time later, I was scraping the bottom of my pot, mumbling aloud, "must..finish....last...bites!"

I've enjoyed everything I've got from Hawk Vittles. Like everyone says... YYMV, but the servings are large

I thought they looked pricey compared to Knorr sides or instant potatoes w/diced Spam singles
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Images

I thought they looked pricey compared to Knorr sides or instant potatoes w/diced Spam singles
    I dehydrate my own meals because I dont want to pay $6+ per meal from most any commercial manufacturer... but if presented the choice of $6 for Hawk Vittles Italian Sausage and Pasta, or $3 for Knorr Sides and Spam Singles, I will happily spend the $6 every single time.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Ah, I can see that. I only get out for long weekend trips. When planning meals I'm usually thinking of the price vs. hitting a fast food place where you can easily spend $11-12 for just lunch.

++ New Posts ++