WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Night hiking on the JMT...

I enjoy night hiking on the Appalachian trail just curious if others nite hike on the JMT? Being on a fairly tight 15 day thru hike schedule I might be hiking late...is the terrain conducive to it? I use a zebra light witch can be very bite if needed. I'm not a very early riser in the morn...tend to be packed up and hiking by 8...avg 2-2.5 mph...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Muir called it the range of light for a reason. The prevalent light colored granite reflects starlight and moonlight well. When above treeline with a bright moon, you don't need a light.

That said, you shouldn't need to night hike to finish in 16 days. But if you want to, the trail is easily hiked at night and can be enjoyable to do so occasionally.

You can't get up early in the mornings but want to night hike? The predawn light is the best light of the day so you ate missing out on some great views. I'm normally a night owl, but I completely switch for the trail.

I hiked over Mather Pass after dark, a couple of days after the full moon. It was really neat, but a part of me wished it was daylight to see the incredible scenery to the to of the pass. I had planned on doing the pass in the dark, so I started the day with drying gear and fishing, hitting the trail around 11am. I got to the lake on the north side of the pass around dinner time, and lots of my extended trail family were camped there. I continued on to take advantage of a break in the weather and the moonlight, and was on top the pass at 10pm. I hiked down the south side for another hour and set up a cowboy camp.

Like I said, it was really cool, and I enjoy night hiking in general. Here at home, I do it regularly. However, a huge part of the JMT for me was enjoying the scenery of new and unfamiliar trails...and that's hard to do in the dark.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

You'll be hiking in summer, when days are long. You should have plenty of time to do your miles in daylight. 211 miles divided by 15 days = not a big problem. Night walking has a beauty of it's own, but you would miss a lot of the spectacular grandeur of the Sierras. You also risk getting off on side trails, following cairns in the wrong direction. Finding campsites in the dark can also be an issue.

Images

I was able to do the JMT in ten days without any night hiking and that was before I really got into hiking long mile days, meaning I wouldn't expect you to have to night hike. But if you do it may be an incredible experience. The late evenings in the Sierra are spectacular with the cool air and Alpenglow. If you have a full moon it can even be better. twice I found myself at Evolution Lake during a full moon. You could easily hike up and over 'Muir Pass with a headlamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome pic! Thx I was curious about following trail over passes at night. I'm going sept 10 so days will be getting alittle shorter but enjoy night hiking not that I have to just push on more miles. Seen a few u tube videos where trail over passes looked non existent more rock hopping....forgive me as I've never hiked out west so maybe I'm incorrect.

Journal Entries

The trail is mostly very well defined. Its traversed by mules and horses.

The south side of Muir pass past Muir hut could be difficult at night in a couple places. Thats really the only place I can think of the trail meanders around a bit. Most of the time when you cross rock slabs theres a line of rocks to follow that leads you to the dirt path again.

Know how you are on the JMT? Follow the horse crap.
    Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The trail is mostly very well defined. Its traversed by mules and horses.

The south side of Muir pass past Muir hut could be difficult at night in a couple places. Thats really the only place I can think of the trail meanders around a bit. Most of the time when you cross rock slabs theres a line of rocks to follow that leads you to the dirt path again.

Know how you are on the JMT? Follow the horse crap.
    Seriously.
    No sh!!...now I see what the gaiters are for....

You shouldn't need to night hike. Bring Halfmile's App with you and then if you're concerned at all you can just walk along the trail and it will navigate for you. When I did the PCT/JMT section my last half hour or so coming down from Whitney was in the dark and that app was a big help.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

I agree about the south side of Muir pass, particularly south of Lake Helen. Got somewhat off trail a few times, nothing serious in the daytime, but night might be tougher to correct your mistake.

Anyone use the guthook JMT app? Only $6.00...useful?

Journal Entries
    Images

I night hiked into Guitar Lake last year & would stop often to kill the headlight & stand in awe of the stars. I don't recommend it since every day's scenery is Jaw Dropping!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I night hiked into Guitar Lake last year & would stop often to kill the headlight & stand in awe of the stars. I don't recommend it since every day's scenery is Jaw Dropping!
    Thx...I'm not an early riser....usually up by 7...walking by 8...but 15-16 mod at avg 2mpd shouldn't need to except for sunrise on HD and Whitney....I do enjoy night hiking on AT....

Last year on my thru I hiked through Evolution Basin at night during the super moon, randomly on my 30th birthday. Ended up camping just before Muir Hut. It was an incredible night hike, if you're into that type of thing. Here's a pic. It was bright enough the headlamp wasn't needed.

Now I find myself wanting to see this hike in daylight, but it's just a good reason to do the hike again. 10521910_10154645824205608_518678350842008017_o.jpg

Awsome...can't believe how light it is!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Awsome...can't believe how light it is!

Check the phase of moon for the time youll be out there.

Theres some things you wont want to miss though, and standing alone on top of passes for sunrise is one of them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Check the phase of moon for the time youll be out there.

Theres some things you wont want to miss though, and standing alone on top of passes for sunrise is one of them IMO.
    Just did...new moon three days after start so looks like I'll need batteries...

Journal Entries
    Images

Just did...new moon three days after start so looks like I'll need batteries...

I'm not an early riser either, I wake with the day. If there's no moon, you'll be blown away from the stars & shooting stars! I suggest that after your body adjusts to the altitude, cowboy as high up as possible!! Truly Amazing!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I'm not an early riser either, I wake with the day. If there's no moon, you'll be blown away from the stars & shooting stars! I suggest that after your body adjusts to the altitude, cowboy as high up as possible!! Truly Amazing!!
    That's why I'm thinking about trying a small tarp instead of the 2lb tent.....hoping to do some cowboy camping...and save wt....I keep going back and forth with the idea...not to mention save lil time in morn and evening setting up tent...thoughts?

That's why I'm thinking about trying a small tarp instead of the 2lb tent.....hoping to do some cowboy camping...and save wt....I keep going back and forth with the idea...not to mention save lil time in morn and evening setting up tent...thoughts?

there can be intense rain/wind lasting all nite but the next day is usually clear. with a tarp only, you may get a bit wet. I'd take a 10x10. I have an 8x8 and wished for bigger. everything dries quick out there. chance of a storm is pretty low.

there can be intense rain/wind lasting all nite but the next day is usually clear. with a tarp only, you may get a bit wet. I'd take a 10x10. I have an 8x8 and wished for bigger. everything dries quick out there. chance of a storm is pretty low.

++ New Posts ++