WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Job Vs. Trail

Default Job Vs. Trail

I have a large dilemma. In a couple of weeks I will be graduating from college and in June I have been planning on thru-hiking SB . I even have a campsite reserved in Baxter State Park. For the past couple of years I have thought only of thru-hiking after I graduate.

But...

On Friday I received an e-mail from a potential employer out of the blue. One of my professors had recommended me for a job to this person and gave her my contact info. The job is pretty much my exact dream job. It is in the field I want to be in, is 10 mins from my house, and seems to be with a great company. This type of opportunity is what I have been working towards my whole life.

I feel really torn. I am finally getting an opportunity to do the hike I have wanted to do for years, but to do so would require turning down a chance at the job I really want to have. (Though it is worth noting I don't have the job, I still have to go through the application process)

Does anyone have any wisdom that might help me make a decision?

Apply for the job. You currently have insufficient information to make a decision.

Even if you are offered the job, you are not obligated to accept the offer.

Don't lie. If the topic of the hike possibility comes up, be honest about what you want to do and the associated time, chances of not finishing, etc.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

What Walkintom said.

I believe that's called a no-lose situation.

Apply for the job. If the interview get's serious, like they are talking $, benefits, potential start dates, then bring up "I have a goal I wish to try and full fill. I really like what I am hearing and seeing here for this job. But could we discuss a start date in the late fall? Potentially even out towards Thanksgiving?"
    See what they think. If they ask what you are thinking to do, present the thru-hike dream as a life-goal, bucket list. Point out the potential growth, but also that you might come back sooner even. See how they respond. They might not know anything about it. They might know a lot about it and encourage you to do it, the job will await your return. But to me, a thru-hike or other activities, is not really brought up until the job is very seriously being considered by both parties.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Interview for the job, if you get an offer AND you are interested in accepting then and then see about negotiating the start date. Depending on the size of the Company, the need etc. you may just get the opportunity to delay the start date. If not then you have a decision to make, but not until that point. Also, another consideration, most people don't finish the trail. It would be a shame to turn down the dream job only to not finish and end up with a double disappointment.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Apply for the job. If the interview get's serious, like they are talking $, benefits, potential start dates, then bring up "I have a goal I wish to try and full fill. I really like what I am hearing and seeing here for this job. But could we discuss a start date in the late fall? Potentially even out towards Thanksgiving?"
    See what they think. If they ask what you are thinking to do, present the thru-hike dream as a life-goal, bucket list. Point out the potential growth, but also that you might come back sooner even. See how they respond. They might not know anything about it. They might know a lot about it and encourage you to do it, the job will await your return. But to me, a thru-hike or other activities, is not really brought up until the job is very seriously being considered by both parties.
    Exactly. Many good potential companies would respect the goal of completing a thru hike and would be willing to hold you a position. It shows a lot about a persons character to complete something simply for the fact of it being a goal.

Journal Entries

Do a risk reward chart for yourself and cost benefit for potential company.Once you all the facts . This will help you make the correct choice

You will have to take the job if you see yourself wanting a career and plan on spending most of your waking hours pursuing such a career. A thruhike is not part of this career most likely and therefore can be sacrificed. If on the other hand you see yourself living outdoors for the rest of your life (in a yurt or backpacking or in a wall tent etc), then any job providing minimal cash will work and then the job becomes secondary to the time spent outside and the full time career can be sacrificed.

Images

Lots of good advice in the above posts. Definitely apply and see what their offer is, if any. A VT company probably won't consider a thru-hike to be a completely foreign idea. If offered the job, run the idea past them. Then weigh your options. And keep in mind, there are jobs, and then there are careers. Passing on a McJob obviously wouldn't be as damaging as passing on an entry into a career with a good company or Gov agency. For almost all of us, hiking is recreation, not a career. Maybe a long section like ME to Hanover would be a workable compromise.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

You are getting really good advice here, contrast009. By applying for the job, you are keeping your options open. Should it be offered, you can negotiate for a later start; if not, you can go hiking. At the age of 22, you have time on your side (at least theoretically).

Journal Entries

give them your start date and see what they say.

Contrary to some opinions, there isnt just one great job for you out there.

There are thousands and thousands. Its just up to you to look for them.

I don't agree with the 'let them know you want to hike the trail' approach unless the hike is more important than the job. I know if I was looking for a person to hire and they said that, I would be thinking "next. Let me see if I can find someone that wants a job more than a vacation." We appreciate the difficulty of the decision. Companies seeking employees appreciate profits and hard workers. They do not hire people that lead with things like "when do I get a raise" or "when do I get time off" or "how much do I have to work". I am giving you real world advice, not how I wish the world would be. Search the net for things not to say at an interview. We are biased here.

Having said all this, only you can decide what is important. If the hike is more important, be honest with them and see what happens. If the job is more important, then present yourself that way to the company and forget the hike for now.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Set the tone to be open and honest abotu who you are. If they respect that they will respect you more and you will have set the tone of things going forward and is a great indication of who they are. If they deny this that indicates the work environment and attitude towards the people working there and while it may seem like a dream job may be a long term nightmare. Remember the interview goes both ways, you are finding out about them as well as them you.

If you deny your hiking intentions you will be denying a part of your inner desire and deny who you are - not a good place to be and start off with a false impression of you.

Chose the best case senareo and go with it as if that's the way it will work out is my advice.

If you think this may be the perfect job I would take the job and put the hike on hold. Then after 5 years when you have proven yourself to be a very valuable employee you can broach the topic of a 6 month hiatus with your boss. As a business owner I understand the value of great employees and allowing you the time off vs. the idea of losing a valuable employee is a no brainer decision.

Of course if you are not offered the job go for a long hike instead.

Default The trail is once in a lifetime.

In todays world you are a piece of property raised by the government to think being a part of society is what you want. Really there is no way around that. The only problem is once your in the system there is no way out.

The trail is not something you can just do at any time. There aren't many employers willing to let you take months off at a time to achieve your dream. If your dream really is hiking the appalachian trail this is your best chance. I would apply for the job and tell them my goal of hiking the trail before heading off to work for the rest of my life. If they really want you they will have something waiting for you.

The only problem is most employers don't care about you individually there are plenty of other you's out there. So just like most employers thinking of whats best for them think about what is best for you. There is plenty of time over the course of the rest of your life to find your dream job. I say hike the trail' I have been telling myself I will get to do it one day for 20 years now. I wish I just did it when I had the chance.

Journal Entries

Employers hire in may/june because thats when people graduate and immediately need work, they have to start paying back loans.

They dont necessarilly have a burning need for another employee at that time, and cant wait a while.

Give them your start date, and see what they say.

Hiring is often driven by annual operating plans, made the year before. They simply plan to hire "x" new hires out of school next year.

Used to be you had to work at least 6 mo the first year to get vacation, all thats changed today. To retain people after the end of defined benefit pension plans, Our hires get hiring bonuses , they collect after a year, 2wk vacation first year immediately available, etc., every other friday off(9-80). And they still leave. They job switch and keep collecting the hiring bonuses.

They arent stupid.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-02-2015 at 20:54.

Thank you for all of the advice. I agree that applying for the job is definitely the first step that I need to take. If I were to get an offer that I will see what they are open to and see how it goes from there

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

jobs are always there. everyone dies. do what you desire before you die.

Go to work.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyJohn View Post
    I don't agree with the 'let them know you want to hike the trail' approach unless the hike is more important than the job. I know if I was looking for a person to hire and they said that, I would be thinking "next.
    Lie like hell & take the job if offered. Negotiate the start date & learn to appreciate section hiking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++