Journal Entries

Default AT 5-6 day hike suggestions please thanks!

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I am seeking advice on a section of the AT which I plan to hike starting mid JULY over 5 days. In a perfect world some or all of the following would exist.

• Big views
    • Safe for solo female hiker
    • High likelihood of meeting thru HIKERS passing thru
    • Within 3-4 hours from Boston airport (not a must)
    • Ability to stop and resupply and an overnight in nice town

I realize these things might not all be possible but you get the idea? I wouldn't mind missing the black flies I've heard about either 

My mileage will depend on elevation changes and pack weight but I'm thinking 5-15 miles/ day? That said, it's the experience I'm seeking vs total miles.

All replies will be greatly appreciated!

Melanie

Images

With that date, distance, and looking for thru-hikers, you probably want somewhere in the Hudson River, NY to Connecticut River, VT/NH area. Plus some nice towns.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch. Take your time and take in all the 4000' hills near the AT. You will see plenty of people. It does not get any better than that area.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

@ RainMan - I will check this out! Thanks for your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

@BirdBrain - I am somewhat familiar with the Carter Notch area...I did a day hike up to Mt Jackson to Pierce and back down Crawford trail (as I recall). With a heavy pack I wouldn't have made it. What should I expect going the route you suggested? I will do some research of course but a bit worried about the ups and downs with the pack...Missouri is FLAT!

Do it SoBo. The big hills are down south. It is not a flat route. However, doing it in 5 or 6 days, you would not have to travel far each day. The Pemi Wilderness was incredible.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

@BirdBrain - that makes total sense I will check it out! Thanks again! I also like the idea of having. Huts along the way as a safety net.

For this time-frame, we loved hiking across the state of Maryland (from Harpers Ferry to PA). The views were WOW! There were other hikers because of our proximity to the east coast.

The rest of your concerns might not work with this one --- but you might consider it....

Journal Entries

@shelb - thanks! I just read a post in trailjournals where someone described the beauty of Maryland and now your message reinforces that. Great info! I am take a close look at this option. Thanks so much for your reply.

Journal Entries

Shelby,
    I've looked into Maryland a bit...curious what your thoughts are for doing a hike from front royal to Harper's ferry? Or vice versa? Is this the area you were referring to? It looks like I could take a train from the dc area or a shuttle from Baltimore airport or similar to Harper's ferry and perhaps get a ride to either frontroyal or hike to front royal....clearly I would have to figure all that our but is this what you mean by hiking in Maryland?

Thanks again!

Journal Entries

Just reread your note....you said to pa...what would be reasonable over 5-6 dAys? Ending point?

++ New Posts ++