Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default tick mitigation suggestions?

I'm new to hiking and camping and have been going out on day hikes in the Seminole Forest this summer.

THE TICKS! ARRGH!!

What do you folks in central Florida do to hike all day without coming back with ticks?

Treat your clothes with Sawyer permethrin repellent.

Alternatively, Deet will keep ticks off.

Picaridin works too.

Images

+1 on what walkintom says. You can get the Sawyer Permethrin at most Wal-Marts.

I use a multi-faceted approach.

I use permethrin to treat clothes and gear. To save some money I purchased permethrin in bulk at amazon.com as the local Tractor Supply Store was out of stock. I mix my own at double strength from the pre-diluted brands (1% vs 0.5%) and still its less expensive. I guess this investment is only worth it if you use permethrin regularly and for a fair amount of stuff.

In addition to DEET I use ChiggAway, a sulfur based bug repellent. Sulfur based repellents are supposed to be better at repelling ticks, chiggers, and arachanids in general. DEET is supposed to better for repelling mosquitoes and other flying insects. I also set up a small duster with sulfur powder but haven't tried it yet.

I use Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Oil infused soap for showering. Tea Tree Oil is supposed to be a general bug repellent. I take MSM as a joint supplement (has sulfur in it) so maybe an internal ingestion of sulfur adds to the mix.

The final thing is to avoid areas with heavy infestations. If there are enough of them, a few will break through the barriers.

I guess all this is working or I'm very lucky as I don't usually have a big problem with ticks.

They are starting to get bad, along with the flies. Stayed out at Hopkins overnight Sat. went for a hike on the FT over to a nearby swimming hole and got attacked by multiple flies. Ticks are getting to the infestation point. I've been out there when it's infested, nothing keeps them off.

Went out slathered in a 99.9% DEET solution and it did not keep them off. This is in the Seminole Forest section and adjacent trails.

I could try permethrin also. I have some of that around from when I was having to deal with a dog-induced flea problem. I don't see how keeping them off my clothes will help much since I wear shorts and short sleeves.

The DEET did a fine job with the flying insects.

Is there a way to tell if an area is "infested"?

Quote Originally Posted by palefoot View Post
    Went out slathered in a 99.9% DEET solution and it did not keep them off. This is in the Seminole Forest section and adjacent trails.

I could try permethrin also. I have some of that around from when I was having to deal with a dog-induced flea problem. I don't see how keeping them off my clothes will help much since I wear shorts and short sleeves.

The DEET did a fine job with the flying insects.

You may want to try a Deet lotion. Sawyer asserts that their 30% Deet lotion is as effective as their 99% Deet and actually protects about 10% longer. It will certainly make a more easily measurable barrier to your sense of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by palefoot View Post
    If you arrive in an area and several ticks climb on you within a minute, it's heavily infested.

Pemethrin is inactivated by the oils on your skin so it has no value from keeping them off your skin. 3M Ultrathon is a crème type deet with some sort of agent that makes it sit on top of your skin so it lasts longer at a lower concentration. The military uses it for a broad spectrum bug repellent. Ticks seem to be able to traverse across DEET covered skin, they may not bite but they most likely head to some other spot that is unprotected. The reality is that you need long sleeves and pants plus a hat soaked with Pemethrin to keep them off you.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    If you arrive in an area and several ticks climb on you within a minute, it's heavily infested.
    I prefer checking with someone coming out of the woods, or at least bring someone with me and let them take the lead. Wait 5 minutes before following. (just kidding!)

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I prefer checking with someone coming out of the woods, or at least bring someone with me and let them take the lead. Wait 5 minutes before following. (just kidding!)
    Ha! That would be the preferred method, definitely.

The worst infestation I ever experienced was on a trail out of Silver Glen springs to Lake George. They were so bad that you had to walk fast to keep them from climbing aboard. Some still were able to latch on. If you stopped, multiple ticks would hop on, immediately. I had tick-itits for a week after that one.

I dislike the little buggers but have gotten used to dealing with them.

One thing that I have found useful is wearing over the calf wool socks.

They tend to get tangled up before making it all the way up them to flesh and I pick them out while stopped for a break.

Images

Make sure to treat your boot/shoe uppers, gaiters, socks, etc. with permethrin as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    One thing that I have found useful is wearing over the calf wool socks.

That could be as painful on the Florida Trail in the summer as ticks.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

light colored khaki clothing does not attract as much as dark colors. perhaps more applicable to skeeters.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    That could be as painful on the Florida Trail in the summer as ticks.

That's where I acquired the habit. Wool socks never bothered me and the extra cushion DTs help mitigate some of the extra abrasiveness of having 2 ounces of sand constantly finding its way into my shoes.

Permethrin treated boots, socks, pants and gaiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to let you guys know, I got out to Wiley Shelter last night to start a flip flop north - and the ticks are ridiculous out here right now.

Within four hours I must have picked off a dozen or so of the big ones, and at least two or three of the little guys, and that's only when I've felt 'em.

Merely an FYI.

Thanks bemental, that must be in the far north Florida Trail!

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Just to let you guys know, I got out to Wiley Shelter last night to start a flip flop north - and the ticks are ridiculous out here right now.

Within four hours I must have picked off a dozen or so of the big ones, and at least two or three of the little guys, and that's only when I've felt 'em.

Merely an FYI.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Thanks bemental, that must be in the far north Florida Trail!
    Yea, whoops! Tunnel vision, didn't see the forum.

Sometimes I assume WB is all AT, all the time.

Sorry guys!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++